Fabrication project - DW step assist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
We're on 35s so the door rocker panel is a bit high off the ground and DW has had just a bit of trouble getting a leg up into Rubi once in a while.  While in Moab with the FMCA 4-Wheelers, we ran Poison Spider with trail leader Bob,  I noticed his Dear Wife's step assist, and asked Bob about it. He made it when his wife was having some kind of physical problem and they just kept it on-board since it was so handy and easily stowed.

This looked like a fun fab project so I got busy.  I didn't have any flat bar that narrow so I used 2" x 3/16" bar and as an improvement on Bob's step, I used round solid bar and not tube for the step.

I used the acetylene torch to heat up the bend marks to almost white hot and very easily hand bent the bar into position using a coat hangar previously bent into position as a bend template.  Surprisingly I got the bend mark wrong where the step contacts the round tube of the rock slider - the bend is outside of the tube.  Oh well, this would be considered a prototype in any product development.  Even though that bend is a little outboard of where I would like, it is 100% functional  :).

If I made another one of these steps, it would be from 1"x 3/16" flat bar - that would save some weight.

Attachments

• TheModel.jpg
    TheModel.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 48
  • ViceAction.jpg
    ViceAction.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 38
  • FirstBend.jpg
    FirstBend.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 33
  • WeldedUp.jpg
    WeldedUp.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 36
  • TestFit.jpg
    TestFit.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 36
  • PrettyInYellow.jpg
    PrettyInYellow.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 44
Hey, neat, John.  I was just looking at my Unlimited and wondering what I could do to help my DW get in.  It's not "lifted", but neither is my DW and she has two fake knees, to boot.  Thanks for the idea.

I like it. I'm not much into welding, but I do have a forge . I'm thinking that except for the cross piece, it could be made with a single piece of bar stock with a 90? twist at each end of the step. I have some old truck leaf springs that might work.

Joel

This looks good.  Since I don't rock crawl I went with a retractable running board from Amp Research ($900).  Best Tops makes a retractable step that is also a rock slider now.  They are pricey at $1400 but it works. 

Attachments

• Amp Research step up Compressed.jpg
    Amp Research step up Compressed.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Amp Reasearch Step down Compressed.jpg
    Amp Reasearch Step down Compressed.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 23
Looks good John.  I don't think you painted it a bright enough color though. ;D

I thought about something like that a while back but ended up just getting a small foldable step that I throw in the back and use it when the wife or mother in law have to get into the back seat.  Works good but not as cool as the step that you made.

Mike.

kenb1023 said:
This looks good.  Since I don't rock crawl I went with a retractable running board from Amp Research ($900).  Best Tops makes a retractable step that is also a rock slider now.  They are pricey at $1400 but it works.

Those Amp Research retractable steps are nice.  I installed a set on my 2006 Duramax which is lifted 6" and riding on 36" tires, they work great yet tuck up tight to the underside of the cab and are undectable when the doors are closed. 

I don't think they would be a good addition to anyone who runs the risk of hitting them on rocks.  Too expensive to damage.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
Looks good John.  I don't think you painted it a bright enough color though. ;D
LOL.  I gave Jane a choice of colors - yellow, John Deere green, or black, the only colors I had on the shelf in the shop  :).  She forgot to say so I chose yellow so it would match the skid plates!

If the step works okay for her (and if she uses it), I'll make V2.0 this fall from 1" flat bar, V1.0 will probably be donated to a museum for odd looking objects  ;D.

I've seen those retractable running boards, slick idea but if I had those they would get beat to a pulp after two or three trails.

A friend of mine uses these http://4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/body/step03/  he likes them and I think I will get one for the DW for our LJ. I wonder if theys come if yellow?

hes4all said:
A friend of mine uses these http://4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/body/step03/  he likes them and I think I will get one for the DW for our LJ. I wonder if theys come if yellow?
No yellow = no sale  ;)

That's an interesting idea and reminds me of rope boat ladders which I discovered were a little tricky to use successfully.  If the stirrup hung very far down I think your leg would be thrust inward towards the center making for an awkward entry, I think that would be a product to try before you buy to see how well it works.

The entry assist I just made is solid and steady, I tried it this morning and bounced up and down on it for a stability test.  The flat bar legs act sort of like leaf springs with some give but not too much.  After the test, I'm now wondering if the 2" bar isn't the correct choice of materials.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom