AARP opt out form

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I signed up for United medigap coverage and that meant I also got signed up for AARP. I could not believe how much junk mail they throw at people. I was getting at least a phone call, an email or a piece of junk mail every single day, most days at least two of the three. So I did a Google search on opting out of AARPs onslaught of junk and found out that you can stop the invasion. Go to this page and fill out the form and within a few weeks it will all stop.

http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/aarp-privacy-policy-opt-out/

I just don't understand how a large company can have a business model built on offending as many of their customers as possible.

Thanks Tom. I submitted mine. When I hit the submit button I immediately received an AARP pop-up ad. I hope this wasn't a mistake.

Well, Tom, most of their revenue comes from selling products and services they endorse (like your medigap policy), so they actively market those. Especially to those who have already bought thru them.  And you didn't quit them over the junk mail/ads, so I guess they figure they can be mildly offensive without actually losing many customers. The bottom line is that their advertising policy works for them, so they continue it.

We bought into the AARP thing some years ago, but have since dropped them, as we do not feel they represent us in any way of thinking.  When you completely drop them you don't get their mail.  Worked for us. 

We stayed at a CG that gave AARP discounts, they asked if we had a card, I told them I didn't kike the group, had dropped them and refused to carry their card, she smiled, agreed and gave me the discount.

Like many of you, I reject AARP for many reasons.  Even if you opt out of unsolicited phone calls, they are permitted by companies with whom you have an established business relationship.   

I chose AMAC instead.  I'm not yet 65, but this is where I'll go when it is time.

http://amac.us/benefits/medicare-insurance/supplements

Bill, I joined AARP almost 20 years ago before I was even 50, and before many of us knew their leanings, and used the motel discounts to follow my daughter in college softball. I've told them to quit sending their trash numerous times over the last 15 years. I don't expect they will quit after this request either.

Want some e-mail, enroll in one of those Publishers Clearing House give aways.
I entered and assigned the e-mail to a hotmail throw away account--two years later I still get 40 to 50 e-mails a month. :mad: :mad:

SeilerBird said:
I just don't understand how a large company can have a business model built on offending as many of their customers as possible.

You have wonder . . .  :mad:

I recall my grief with Good Sam years ago. Seems that no matter what I did - including opting out several times, had almost daily junk. I used to tear everything up, then stuff it all in the postage free return envelope after removing my name. But nothing worked. As with most email junk, opting out just assures them that you are receiving it OK.

OTOH, now that Good Sam and CW are together, I hardly receive any junk mail other than CW ads - which I don't mind because I "do" buy some stuff from them. And the dual card for Good Sam discounts and CW get me the park discounts when applicable. Once out of Good Sam was relieved I didn't get junk mail, but missed the GS park discount.

I do have an old AARP card in by billfold - that expired many years ago. If a park asks me if I have an AARP card, I always say, yes. Have only been asked once if it had expired -- a park in Fallon NV about 14 years ago.

When I signed up for United Health Care I paid the $15 and my agent told me half jokingly that the $15 is to cover the postage for the junk mail they send you. So far the opt out form appears to be working well for me. I have received no phone calls, no emails and only two small pieces of snail mail in the month since I opted out.

Well, Tom, most of their revenue comes from selling products and services they endorse (like your medigap policy), so they actively market those. Especially to those who have already bought thru them.  And you didn't quit them over the junk mail/ads, so I guess they figure they can be mildly offensive without actually losing many customers. The bottom line is that their advertising policy works for them, so they continue it.

Gary - Yes I realize that their advertising policy works for them. I just feel that their business would be a lot more successful it it wasn't built on offending people. And no I did not quit them, however, if there was no way for me to stop the flow of junk from them I most certainly would have quit them. I do not put up with junk mail, calls or email from anyone. And there are a number of people who have stated they won't used AARP/United because of their invasive marketing practices.

Let's take a quick look at Walmart and Amazon. Walmart is the largest brick and mortar retailer in the world. Amazon is the largest online retailer in the world. I spend hundreds of dollars at both places every single month. I have been for many years. Yet not once in all that time has either one ever called me, emailed me or snail mailed me one single thing that even remotely looks like spam. So they continue to get my business. If you have a great business model of great prices, great products and great customer service then you don't need to flood your customers with spam.

http://amac.us/

Yup, this is the place for me.  I had lost the website, and thanks to Subvet it is found.  More aligned with us and the way we see our life than aarp.  They provide discounts, but still a young organization, so not as far reaching yet.  Not sure about mailing lists yet, just joining now.

Just a cautionary note: AMAC has a political agenda that goes well beyond advocacy for "mature Americans". And like AARP, it is a business rather than a club.

It's an viable alternative to AARP, but you might want to be sure you are in tune with the founders agenda before you join.  http://amac.us/about-us/about-amacs-founder

SeilerBird said:
Let's take a quick look at Walmart and Amazon.

My first look see when about to purchase or thinking of a purchase and looking at various reviews will be Amazon. And I love to shop Walmart for much better pricing than most grocery or department stores. But I also include Costco, SAM's, and Fry's that I shop and don't have to put up with junk mail.

Fortunately, I can throw a rock to any of these outlets from where I am currently parked - or drive another 15-20 miles to others in the area. I do like SAM's as an alternative to Walmart when looking for volume stuff or bulk stuff. I'm big on paper plates - and SAM's has much better pricing than Walmart. That makes the annual fee an OK thing with me. And both SAM's and Costco have sections of returned and dislay items at reduced pricing all with the 90 test drive feature.

Fry's will also match online pricing. I just bought a printer posted at $149 at Fry's. I looked at the price, had a cup of coffee at their mini cafeteria while looking at smartphone reviews and found it a Amazon for $129. Showed the screen to the sales guy, he brought it up on the store computer, and matched the price. Didn't mentioned Amazon shipping.

Actually, I wasn't aware of this when I bought my SX260 or would have gotten it there vs. Amazon and saved the shipping. Fry's only gives 16 days as a test drive though.

But again, great places to shop with no junk mail.

Gary, everything seems to have a political agenda, so I try to match my own with the one they go with.  For me AMAC is a lot closer. 

Back
Top Bottom