Westward Ho!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

Subtitle:  "We're the only ones not going to Alaska!"

I decided to take a stab at a journal documenting the Johnson family's first-ever big RV trip to CO and UT.  Current plan is to leave mid-morning on Saturday, 6/8/13.  The kids have the cross-country team's summer weekend retreat.  We already had the trip planned and reservations made, so we told them they could go spend the night Friday night, but we would pick them up Saturday morning and hit the road.

Day -3, 6/5, homebase of Geneseo, IL:  I have spent much of my free time over the last several weeks trying to get the 13 year old RV ready for a long journey.  These include:  getting the daughter's Honda Accord ready for towing (works great), re-attaching one of the lower fiberglass panels that had separated from its framework, doing the Zep treatment to restore the oxidized fiberglass sidewalls (can't have the campground neighbors thinking Cousin Eddie has come to visit), installing ScanGuage D (so I know just how poor my fuel mileage is), sanitize the water system, replace window coverings, etc.  Of course I saved the most time consuming project for last, removing old caulk and re-caulking the fiberglass roof edge.  After a couple of evenings' work, I'm down to the last 15 feet.  The only other remaining tasks are to finally bolt down the recliner in the living room and test the toad braking system.  Oh, and of course, pack!  :)

Meanwhile, the DW is concerned that the neighbors will get sick of me parking the MH in front of the house every evening.  "You're not going to bring that thing over here every day this week, are you?"  "Uh, no, I probably won't bring it over on Monday, so that's only five days this week."

Getting close to hitting the road. It will probably be at least noon, as the DW had to pick up the kids from an overnight running retreat about 90 mi away this morning. Preparations went well and I eventually finished all the tasks I needed to do. One caveat for other travelers, don't wait until the night before your 2500 mi trip to try to install your toad braking system. I did, and was starting to think last night that I wouldn't be able to get it done, but a good nights sleep and some additional thought helped me knock it t quickly this morning.

Meanwhile, I just got a text from my DD on her way home from the running event:  "Can we shower in the RV while we are driving?"  "Uh, no, but I'll let you take a shower before we hit the road." ;D

Here's a pic of the land yacht awaiting the return of its extra passengers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 61
You're headed to some beautiful country. Looking forward to hearing about the trip. BTW, we're not going to Alaska either, but we are going to Wyoming :)

Wendy
Cortez CO

The vacationing has begun!  After a couple of grueling 10'hr driving days with an overnight at the Walmart in Kearney NE, and challenging but successful trip through the mountains on I70, we arrived at Rifle Gap SP on Sunday. Got a really nice FHU site in this beautiful state park.

Today we made the hike up to Hanging Lake, which is amazingly beautiful.  Pics later. Whitewater rafting tomorrow then on to Utah Wednesday.

I don't think I'll be able to keep up the journal as we go along, but I'll try to do a detailed one when we get home.

I see in Colorado just in time for our record breaking high temperatures. Welcome !

Wendy
SW Colorado

Thanks, Wendy. I feel the warmth of your welcome.  ;).  So far we haven't noticed the heat to much.  We climbed to Hanging Lake while the trail was still in the shade and back down by noon. Ran errands in the afternoon so we stayed out of the heat and it cooled off nice in the evening.

Here's a pic of the campsite at Rifle Gap this morning:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 49
Nice spot. Never been there, may have to try it out some day. Good weather news is that it's supposed to cool off to 93 here today AND we're not on the front range where it's supposed to be hotter.

I see there's a new fire burning up your way, if you're still at Rifle Gap. Hope they get this one contained quick.

Wendy said:
I see there's a new fire burning up your way, if you're still at Rifle Gap. Hope they get this one contained quick.

Hmm, didn't see it while we were there and I'm afraid we've been out of touch with the news.

Since then, we've been to Deadhorse Point/Arches, a nice stopover at Goblin Valley, and now staying at Kodachrome Basin to visit Bryce. (Currently using Rubys Inn wifi :))

I promise a full journal when we get back home. Trip has been wonderful.

parttymer said:
I have to ask. Did you take UT 12 to Bryce from Torrey?

Stan

We did. The DW tells me it was very pretty and some day I'll look at the pictures. I, however, was watching the road and refused to look over the edge. I thought about pulling over for a short break a few times, but was afraid I would freeze up and not be able to drive again.  :)

Ok, after 3200 miles and 14 days on the road, we are back at home, sweet home! :)  I will now begin the official journal. I'll try to make an observation or two each day as well.

Day 1, Saturday 6/8, Geneseo, IL to Kearney, NE, 511 mi.

We are underway on our first big RV trip!  Headed west on I80. Nothing too exciting and no photos to share. Due to the late start, we stopped at the Kearney, NE Walmart around 1030 pm.  I wouldn't really recommend it for the interstate traveler, as it is about 5 mi north of 80. There is plenty of room to park, however, and there was one other RVer there with us.

Daily Observation #1:  I knew I had made the right decision to get the RV about 60 miles into the trip when, while rolling down the road, the DW asked me if I wanted her to go back and make me a sandwich. Nothing tastes quite as good as a roast beef sandwich made in your rolling kitchen from supplies taken out of your rolling refrigerator.  :D

Daily Observation #2:  The favorite recreational activity of the youth of Kearney NE seems to be drag racing. In the Walmart parking lot. Honestly. At least that's what it sounded like from my bed. Btw, if you are interested in attending the Kearney drags, prelims start at 1130 pm, with elimination rounds beginning promptly at midnight.

All in all, a successful first day of travel.

Great report, Scott. Last year, Becky went back to get me a drink while we were rolling, I had to stop quicker than usual, and she stumbled, broke her foot, its just now healing.

Next time, if you are a Passport America member, there is a PA park a few miles west of Kearney in Elm Green, $15.00, pull through, full hook ups. No drag racers. Nothing fancy, just a big parking lot, but 1/4 mile off I-80.

parttymer said:
Great report, Scott. Last year, Becky went back to get me a drink while we were rolling, I had to stop quicker than usual, and she stumbled, broke her foot, its just now healing.

Next time, if you are a Passport America member, there is a PA park a few miles west of Kearney in Elm Green, $15.00, pull through, full hook ups. No drag racers. Nothing fancy, just a big parking lot, but 1/4 mile off I-80.

Ouch!  Thanks for the tip.  I hadn't realized that the Walmart was all the way on the north side of town, but it was after ten when we got to Kearney so I just kept driving until we finally found it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom