Truck and trailer insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodpidgeon

As the time to start our travels around America draw ever closer I am in the process of getting some insurance quotes. Most of it is straightforward but I am unsure about the amount of cover that would be sensible regarding bodily injury limits and uninsured driver limits.  We hear about how expensive your medical system is and litigation is possible in an accident, so can someone guide me on sensible amounts.  I have been quoted between $25000 and $500000.  What are your views on this?

We use the higher limits for the reasons you suggest.  We've all heard stories about some of the awards people get.  With our compnay, the difference in price between those amounts is not very great.  We also have a $1,000,000 umbrella policy for anything that something else doesn't handle.  Insurance is just a way of not having to worry as much about the consequences of doing something you didn't expect to.

Uninsured motorist cover is for your own medical bills in the event someone harms YOU and has no insurance, so lawsuits concerns are not relevant. If you already have medical insurance for yourself while in the USA, you don't need UIM coverage at all. If you don't have any medical coverage while here, you may want to consider a broader medical emergency coverage policy instead of UIM, which only pays you in the event of an accident caused by somebody else. It doesn't even pay your medical cost if you or Mother Nature are at fault. If you are insuring in a state that requires PIP - Personal Injury Protection - this will cover your own medical bills up to some modest amount, typically $10,000, regardless of who is at fault.

Medical costs for others generally fall into two categories - a few thousand dollars or $50,000 plus per person. Most of us choose higher limits in recognition of that. Heaven forbid, but if you struck a car with a family inside, you could quickly find yourself liable for medical costs for 4-6 people.

Thanks COMer and Gary.  I didn't know about the reason for uninsured driver so the learning curve continues.  We will have comprehensive travel insurance which should cover this area, but I will double check.

Always best to ask your agent what YOUR policy covers.  Each company seems to interpret a little differently and you need to know what you have paid for and what they will do. 

Interesting side story.  Some years ago, my wife was in a bad accident and the hospital bills were significant.  Our hospitalization covered it but the uninsured motorist insurance did too.  We got a check from the car insurance company for the same amount that Blue Cross/Blue Shield had paid.  A big check.  That may not still be the law but it was appreciated at the time.  Like double billing only double covering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom