Trailer Towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RichJos

Help?? I am a nuebie!! Trying to pull a 6600lb TT with a 2006 Tahoe 4800 engine. I feel like the trailer is in control. Just completed a 4200 mile trip using 2nd gear many times in the Mts. with trucks pushing me all over and having to stay in 3rd gear and and 55mph.  What Chevrolet Truck would you recomment I purchase to over come this "Tow Vehicle too small" problem Thanks Richard Joslin Vero Beach Florida

A series of questions spring to mind.

1.? Do you have a weight distributing hitch with an anti-sway system on it and has it been properly adjusted?

2.? Is that trailer weight a manufacturer's specification for a dry weight, a gross vehicle weight, or is it an actually scaled weight of the trailer loaded for travel?? ?(The first is a mfr's guess, the second a good estimate, the third is reality.)

3.? ?Do you know of the Trailer Life Towing tables?? ?They can be found online at www.trailerlife.com.? ? Go to the Tech section.

Assume for a moment that your given trailer weight is a GVWR or a scaled weight.? ?We recommend that you allow a tow rating safety facture of 10% compared to trailer weight or GVWR.? ?For a 6600 lb trailer the truck should have a tow rating of at least 6600/0.90 = 7,333 lbs.? ?For towing in the mountain or Pacfic west, make that safety factor 20% so the tow rating should be at least 6600/0.80 = 8250 lbs.? ?Now go to the Trailer Life Tables and look for trucks using these numbers --? but be sure to derive them your self from the real weight or GVWR.

In your search, do not confine yourself to GMC products.  Ford and Dodge make fine vehicles in the 3/4 and 1 ton ranges.    I realize that folks tend to evangelize for certain marques with almost religious fervor.  Relax, the things are just machines and every mfr has made jewels and junk.  If you have to haul a lot of passengers, rather than going for SUVs, consider the E350 vans of Ford.  Those big rascals can pull a whole bunches.  ;D

Tahoe is a bit light,  Silverado (Largest) or Suburban might do the job  Of course there are a few bigger Cheveys that will but I'm not sure you want to go that big.

Or better yet, trade the trailer in on a class A and tow the Tahoe

BTW, Tahoe is a good ride (normally) What do you think would happen if a Tahoe chased a Corvette
(Ok this is a loaded question, the Tahoe was driven by a Michigan State Trooper, the Corvette, Well, he was a violater)

Answer  Tahoe 1, Corvette nothing  Trooper caught the 'Vette

Thanks for your reply. I am using a reese pro cam equallizer hitch which seems to work just fine. I am looking at the Silverado 1500HD with 8300 lb capacity which is with in your 20% margin. Do you think the 2500HD with the 6600duramax diesel and 6 speed allison transmission be over kill???

Tow vehicles are like charging grizzly bears, there is no such thing as overkill,  but there sure as hell is such a thing as underkill.

By the way you never answer the question about that 6600 lbs.  Is that a dry weight, a scaled weight as loaded for travel, or is it a GVWR?  My numbers count only if it one of the latter two.  If it is a dry weight, back to the calculator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom