Wrap my RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just an FYI ... several forum members have been called out for "advertising" while boondocking on BLM land; One had to remove the business name on signs attached to the sides of his toad, and another had to quit flying a balloon with the forum name, intended mainly for rally attendees to find the site.

Tom said:
Just an FYI ... several forum members have been called out for "advertising" while boondocking on BLM land; One had to remove the business name on signs attached to the sides of his toad, and another had to quit flying a balloon with the forum name, intended mainly for rally attendees to find the site.

Yeah, Im over it.  Great points brought up and it was just a passing thought anyways.  This is why you "talk it out" before doing something

sluggermike said:
I was watching Brett Michaels' Rock My RV and on one episode he wrapped a converted ambulance.  I was wondering if any one has wrapped a Class A motor home?  I thought it might be cheaper than painting, but I don't know how durable it is.

They wrapped another RV night before last episode.....the Scum Patrol (or whatever it was).

i worked in a sing shop for many years  most wraps  are good for 7 to 10 years giving what you pay for

there are wrap that have a high car finish paint in them  yes real car paint  get the right guy and your rv well pop look good and be over in  1 day

my cost for my shop to do a 40 foot RV was 300$  but sad is most shops well cost 1.500 to 30.000 to do this job

the job is not hard and you can do it your self...as long as you dont want fad or some type of print on it...

so order the rolls like 3 and are 150$ each  and go at it

Wondering if anyone has tried wrapping their RV since last discussed?  I'm going to look at an RV that's painted a bright blue with no graphics, and I'm thinking a wrap or at least graphics my be the answer for toning it down.  On boats vinyl lasts and stays crisp longer than paint for names, etc. from the ravages of sun and salt.  I had it on a boat in Ft. Lauderdale that was out on the water every day for 6 years and it still looked good.  But I DK how it is with RVs.  Another big factor is cost.  Anybody found out how much vinyl costs verses paint?

That is very cool!!

HueyPilotVN said:
Here is a picture of the wrap on the back of my Stacker that was recovered after being stolen.  They cost about $12.00 a square foot.  This one was about $1,000.00

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/007-27.jpg

Here's a thread with some good pics from when a member here wrapped his coach:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,83302.0.html

I talked to a guy with a wrap on his RV,  it was 5 years old and looked perfect.

many brand new high end cars are being wrapped for a custom look    ...and it preserves the original paint job. 
The other day I saw a brand new Bentley with a dark satin green wrap...it was beautiful.

FYI, most city buses are completely wrapped with advertising that has 50% perforated vinyl over the windows. from the inside looking out,  it looks like tinted glass.

Darn it the link won't copy over.

Google penn state wrapped RV centre daily times

They wrapped theirs for college games.

I have wrapped vehicles as advertising for my business and they are great!    Last one lasted more than 5 years and could have lasted longer but I decided to take it off as I no longer used it for advertising.     

I actually peeled it off myself.    It took some time, but was not at all like trying to take off graphics from an RV.        Its almost like it was vacuum sealed on the vehicle, if that makes sense.      very sturdy and durable.    was installed on a toyota landcruiser and looked great. 

Im looking to do the same thing with a 19ft fleetwood jamboree.    beginning the quote process but will update with costs once I have them finalized. 

I am interested in the cost, would love to know.  Anyone gets it done please post here and share the info.

Couple months ago I  took off the decals and had a wrap place replace with very close to original  with photo of Huey  helicopter on back.............. $1600.....very happy with it......... Denver.

I've wrapped a car and a full dresser motorcycle, but haven't tackled my coach yet.  If you get quality vinyl like the 3M 1080 stuff, you're looking at a stated life of 7 years for the gloss or matte finishes.  You're going to need a whole lot of vinyl, a large container of denatured alcohol, a couple squeegees, an X-acto knife with lots of blades. and a few rolls of knifeless tape. A small car needs about 40-50 linear feet of vinyl and you're probably going to be about eight to nine bucks per linear foot for good stuff.  I would guess that for a 40 foot coach, you're going to be around 225-250 linear feet.  It's definitely a two-person job, and you'd have to decide how you want the various trim bits to look.  You could cover the trim, use knifeless tape and/or an X-acto knife to cut the vinyl around the trim, or you can remove the trim and re-install it over the vinyl.  For the car, I removed the trim and the lights so that the vinyl would disappear under them with no chance of the paint color showing through.  You'd probably want to wrap around the awning attachment rather than pulling that off and putting it back on - plus it's up high enough that the seams won't be so obvious.  The hardest part with wrapping vehicles is that they tend to have very complex curves -- think of how the hood curves down towards the front and off to the sides at the same time, for example.  You need to attach the vinyl in the middle and then pull out, forward, and down on both sides to keep your mirror and even then you often need to give it heat to get it to comply if it's really complex.  The long, flat sides of the coach would be pretty easy and go fairly quick.  I'd probably use the tape to make sure I got straight seams, but you could just try to keep the edge of the new sheet overlapping to the edge of the last sheet.

Vinyl will cover a lot of sins, has some self-healing properties when it comes to smaller scratches, and will wash easily with a gentle soap -- careful with the pressure washer, Eugene!  The adhesive is repositionable when you put it on, but once you've hit it with the squeegee and a little heat to set it, it'll be stuck pretty well.  A little heat will help you remove it when it's time to switch colors, but I have had some 90's water-based automotive finishes come off with the vinyl.  To be fair, most of those will just come off on their own, so I don't really blame the vinyl, but I could see it possibly pulling off original graphics decals.  I've had success with putting pinstriping and other vinyl decals on top of the wrap, or you could use different colors of vinyl to create your own pattern.  The knifeless tape can be used to put the outline of a pattern on the primary vinyl, then a secondary color can be laid on top of that.  Pull the string in the tape and it will cut the vinyl to the exact outline of your design.

smitty064 said:
Couple months ago I  took off the decals and had a wrap place replace with very close to original  with photo of Huey  helicopter on back.............. $1600.....very happy with it......... Denver.

Who was the Denver company?  My daughter may want to do her 5er as its losing decals.

Back
Top Bottom