GPS Suction Cup - keeps falling off!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wigpro

I am this close to just getting my Gorilla Glue and ending the problem once and for all. I put the little plastic circle on the windshield and that helped somewhat but now it seems every time I get in the car the thing is laying on the dash or if I hit a bump it goes flying, aggravating.

Anyone have a quick easy fix...

Jim

Our Garmin is on a beanbag and sits easily on the dashboard of either the motorhome or car.

By the way, suction cups wear out especially if in the sun a lot.  Also, do you wet it a bit before sticking it to the window.  Most suction cups won't stay if dry.

ArdraF

SeilerBird said:
Well that sucks ::) Have you tried cleaning the area of the windshield you are attaching it to with rubbing alcohol or a good solvent?
That's what I have to do every once in a while. I have no problems for weeks after.

Mine would fall off about once a week. I ended up putting a little Vaseline on the outside edge of the suction cup. It's been hanging on the windshield for over 4 months now without falling off.

I don't use the suction cup. I threw it away and drilled two holes in the base plate. Then I bolted it to the dash and hard wired it. A much cleaner solution.

bean bag from Amazon.  It would keep sliding forward so a attached Velcro strap to the bean bag and the strap to the other end of Velcro near the front edge of the dash, it works great. 

SeilerBird said:
I don't use the suction cup. I threw it away and drilled two holes in the base plate. Then I bolted it to the dash and hard wired it. A much cleaner solution.

Brilliant, Tom.  Did you have anything to do with the engineering of these fixes?  ;) :D ???  This will take care of it.

Wipe the suction with window cleaner. Should work fine. I had the same problem.

We've got the bean bag thing but now the GPS has started to fly off the bean bag. Something isn't sucking right :)

Wendy

I always wet the suction cup before putting it on the surface. I also try to keep the suction cup in the uninstalled condition when not using it.

Had that problem with our Garmin. Found that the center of the suction cup where he lever pulls from had cracked, so it was not providing enough movement to provide adequate suction. Got another cup from I believe Radio Shack for that unit. Solved the problem. RS has quite a selection of replacement parts. Might want to check locally, before ordering from the manufacturer.

We just got a new Magellan GPS with a 7" screen. It's heavy and won't stay on the W/S or dash for anything.... I ended up putting Velcro on the bottom of the mounting plate (the one that they supply for the sucky-cup to stick to). The other side of the Velcro is on the dash. It'll probably ruin the dash if I ever have to get it off  ::) but it works..... ;D. I tried the bean bag because that worked for our (piece-of-crap) Tom-Tom GPS.

In the time this thread has been going on I ordered and received a RAM suction cup mount as I noted in a previous post.  It appears to be every bit as good as I had been told.  It has much larger area with a screw-drive mechanism for creating the suction.  I ordered one with a gooseneck arm so I can attach it to the driver's side window in our Class A, but there are several swivel-mount models as well.  The total cost (from Amazon) for remounting my Garmin 465T is <$30.  IMHO it's a clean simple, relatively inexpensive solution.

Months ago I posted a problem regarding my Garmin Nuvi standard suction cup constantly falling off the windshield. Well I finally got fed up and based on a suggestion in the previous thread ordered a new mount from RAM. Got it on Amazon and it arrived a few days ago and it is bullet proof. It has a much bigger suction cup, but more importantly has a threaded ram you turn to lock onto the windshield and it is almost impossible to remove so I suspect my problem is finally solved.

I am very pleased with my purchase - I entered my model number and it fits my GPS perfectly with cutouts to insert the additional chip and also for the power supply.

I bought this model HERE!

If you want a better solution than the stock item...I can highly recommend this product! It was not cheap, but I was so tired of chasing my GPS when it flew off of the windshield, it was worth every penny. I am sure if you shop around you may be able to do better.

Jim

A few years back I upgraded from a bean bag for my Garmin to the standard mount that came with my TomTom GPS. It fell off a few times - so I then wet it a bit with soapy water. It has never fallen off since. When I clean and remount it, I just wet my finger at the sink, rub it over a bar of soap, then apply it to the suction cup.

Back
Top Bottom