GPS Suction Cup - keeps falling off!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a little tad of saliva seems to work like a charm. Of course having a pristine clean spot on the glass will also help a lot.

I had the same problem. Clean the suction cup with alcohol every few months and the problem will be forever solved.

If you put a suction cup on a cold window, it will lose suction as the glass heats up.

Wigpro said:
I am this close to just getting my Gorilla Glue and ending the problem once and for all. I put the little plastic circle on the windshield and that helped somewhat but now it seems every time I get in the car the thing is laying on the dash or if I hit a bump it goes flying, aggravating.

Anyone have a quick easy fix...

Jim

Moisten the rim of the suction cup with some fluid:  water, spit, Vaseline, oils, etc.  Simple and has worked for me.

A lot of you seem to favor the Garmin GPS..are they the GPS of choice? I currently have a TomTom, but starting to feel the screen is a tad small, and lately she has been sending me down some weird routes, even after doing map updates...couple weeks ago in NC I had to ignore it a couple times because I knew she was being goofy as we were going down a road we had been before and knew she was wrong! She eventually recalculated the route enough to get on track with me! Maybe I need to change the voice as she knows I have gotten upset with her too often in the past!! ;D

WFD said:
A lot of you seem to favor the Garmin GPS..are they the GPS of choice? I currently have a TomTom, but starting to feel the screen is a tad small, and lately she has been sending me down some weird routes, even after doing map updates...couple weeks ago in NC I had to ignore it a couple times because I knew she was being goofy as we were going down a road we had been before and knew she was wrong! She eventually recalculated the route enough to get on track with me! Maybe I need to change the voice as she knows I have gotten upset with her too often in the past!! ;D
Also look at the Magellan GPS with a 7" screen. We've had ours for 6 months now and LOVE it. I hated our Tom-Tom. I really hated it when Tom-Tom sent me an email (right after the warranty expired) and reminded me to update the GPS. I tried to download the update and it came back with a system failure. When my GPS would not start up after that, I called Tom-Tom. They concluded that the processor was defective but would not cover it because I was 15 days out of warranty. I reminded them that the GPS worked before I did their download........ they didn't care...... I have talked to several people that had the exact same experience...... the company doesn't care about customer service. I wouldn't use another one of their products if it was given to me.

Carl L said:
Moisten the rim of the suction cup with some fluid:  water, spit, Vaseline, oils, etc.  Simple and has worked for me.
Another great use for RMP3 or Zep Wet Look.  Just wet your finger with it and apply to the suction cup.  Put the cup in place on any solid surface (metal, glass, etc..) and it will never FALL off.  It can be easily removed (but, again, it will NEVER FALL off).

I used to work in Avionics.
We sold and installed a lot of GARMIN GPS's in various Airplanes. Garmin is THE brand to buy if you are a Pilot!
If they are capable of getting the FAA approval for en-route and approach for Air navigation they are good enough for using in an RV.
I am sold on them. The best quality (not speaking of hardware so much as software) available and the customer service is exceptional!

I've seen this topic discussed many times and the solutions people offer generally don't work.  Suction cups wear out and usually need to be replaced.  However, I have recently tried a product that you can stick an old suction cup mount to the windshield.  It's held my Garmin gps to windshield for a couple months without any problems.  The kit is called Stickysuc.  You can get it on Amazon for less that 10 bucks.  I recommend cleaning the window really well before installing.  Also, use the biggest barrier that comes with the kit.  Make sure it goes on smooth.  Good luck.

Wigpro said:
Months ago I posted a problem regarding my Garmin Nuvi standard suction cup constantly falling off the windshield. Well I finally got fed up and based on a suggestion in the previous thread ordered a new mount from RAM. Got it on Amazon and it arrived a few days ago and it is bullet proof. It has a much bigger suction cup, but more importantly has a threaded ram you turn to lock onto the windshield and it is almost impossible to remove so I suspect my problem is finally solved.

I am very pleased with my purchase - I entered my model number and it fits my GPS perfectly with cutouts to insert the additional chip and also for the power supply.

I bought this model HERE!

If you want a better solution than the stock item...I can highly recommend this product! It was not cheap, but I was so tired of chasing my GPS when it flew off of the windshield, it was worth every penny. I am sure if you shop around you may be able to do better.

Jim

Just and update it has been over a year since I purchased this mount from Ram - since then I have purchased two more - one for my handheld GPS and another one for my GoPro camera - these are the best suction cup mounts and they really work - has held my GoPro on the hood of my truck at over 70 MPH with no problems and also on my boat at 30 MPH.....

If you want to solve your suction cup mount problems get one made by Ram go HERE!

They are also available through Amazon....

Good Luck,

Jim

Wigpro said:
If you want to solve your suction cup mount problems get one made by Ram go HERE!

X2 I posted that in this thread over a year ago!  I have two RAM suction mounts and they work without any problems.

I'd like to have one of the cup holder mounts, but they don't make one compatible with the RVND 7720 LM.  :(

Throw the suction cup away and pass the GPS to your co-pilot and navigator. If I had to drive our motor home and watch a GPS,... one of us would be exiting the Rv and it would not be me........Alan. :)

Suction cups, ha.  I screwed my Garmin to a 2x2 board.  ;D    I was tired of mounts that fall down and scare the heck out of me while I am driving.  I grab the 8" long board and move it to my motorcycle and other vehicles.  I stuff the board wherever so I can see the garmin.

I know, I am cheap and tend to go overboard, to solve a problem.  When my wife saw the mount for the first time she gave me the roll the eyes look.  Hey I painted the board black so it wouldn't look so bad.  8)   

I understand that the solution was found for the OP, but i'll throw this out.....
We had a heavy rubber mount made by Garmin fro DW's old GPS.... similar idea to the beanbag that worked well.
I have a cell phone mount that has a sticky suction cup that held really well untill I pulled it off to move cars and messed up the sticky part....
http://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail/955/iOttie%20Easy%20One%20Touch%20Universal%20Car%20Mount%20Holder%20for%20iPhone%205s,5c,4S%20Smartphone
It worked really well.
I have another similar mount that so far so good is working for several months now, but I have left it in place since my very careful cleaning and install.

and finally, for an old fashioned regular suction cup, they will deform and flatten out over time.  One method that will in some cases at least partially refresh them is to drop the suction cup into boiling water for a few minutes.  It will restore the cup shape and help it to hold better!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom