New hitch design replaces ball mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
A patent has been issued for a new hitch design that claims to be superior to the good old ball hitch most of us are familiar with and much safer as well. It's an articulating joint that allows full motion in all planes, similar to the design used on top-of-the-line car tow bars from Blue Ox and Roadmaster. It is called the Lock-N-Roll hitch. It's available with ratings up to 11,000 lbs and 1100 lbs of tongue weight, but I don't see a version with weight-distributing capability.

News report here:
http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/ArticleView/mid/427/articleId/28476/New-articulating-trailer-hitch-could-prevent-accidents.aspx

Product web site here:
https://locknroll.com/

I wonder if this idea will go anywhere, or if it will be just another good idea that dies from lack of attention.

Morning Gary, thanks for the info. Looks like a very good design except as you pointed out, no load leveling capabilities.
For me with several trailers that I tow,(3), it would be an expensive proposition to change over to that system. I will just continue with what I have.
Would be OK for just getting started.
Jerry

Looks like the product was designed for off-road use and by the way, can also be used for on-road applications.  They may not have figured the need for leveling since it would not apply to the off-road use.  But if people ask, they will probably soon figure out a modification and offer it for RVs.  It is interesting and informative.  It sure does look safer and heavy duty and impossible to allow a hitch to jump off the ball.

They may not have figured the need for leveling since it would not apply to the off-road use.

Why not? Tongue weights can still exceed the hitch and/or receiver load carrying capacity.  I'll grant that trailers intended for offroad use are typically balanced so that WD is not needed, but the same principles still apply.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Why not? Tongue weights can still exceed the hitch and/or receiver load carrying capacity.  I'll grant that trailers intended for offroad use are typically balanced so that WD is not needed, but the same principles still apply.

Off road trailers need articulation at the hitch to navigate uneven terrain.  Load leveling hitches do little to mitigate hitch or receiver load carrying deficiencies.  They spread the weight between TOW and TOWED, but certainly need a hitch and receiver capable of the added stress.

It would be the operators responsibility to strike a good compromise.

I was thinking along the lines that Lou is.  It looked from their ad like they were dealing with the problem of severe articulation at the ball position where the receiver jumped off the ball and this would be eliminated with the new hitch.  And I assumed that off road use would be what caused that and that a leveling system would not work off road.  Bottom line is that if it is popular, you know that they will come up with a system for RVs.  I don't know how much need there is for an RV system that is designed to keep the receiver from jumping off the ball.  Would a leveling system either eliminate that problem or at least minimize it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom