Major Spartan Chassis recall (advance warning)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Spartan Chassis is in  the process of recalling many of their chassis for a problem with a cracked mount for the steering gear. The mount is basically a spacer between the steering box and the main frame and it is a welded bracket.  Apparently the welds are breaking on more than a few of them. Several people in the American Coach Owners group have had theirs checked already and most found cracks in theirs.  A loss of steering would occur if the mount actually breaks, so this is a major safety concern.  Spartan says there are no reports [yet] of a total failure. Formal recall notices are expected to be sent out soon.

The following information comes from a Spartan owner who contacted them about the problem:
The Spartan recall number is 13V-182. Although the formal recall notice & instructions have not been issued yet, any authorized Spartan dealer can call Spartan and get a link to a video that describes what they are to look for.  If there is no crack, you can make your own decision as to what to do in terms of using the coach and not.  If there is a crack, you will be advised not to drive the coach.  Official notices will be sent out when the problem evaluation is complete and a final fix determined.

The number at Spartan to call is 800-543-4277.  It will instruct you to press 0 if you are calling about the steering bracket problem.  They can check your Spartan Chassis ID to see if your coach is affected.

That information has not been published yet, Dick. You will have to call Spartan.  Folks with a Spartan chassis ought to make sure they are listed as the owner-of-record so they will get informed if they are at risk for this or any other recall issue.

If you bought your coach used, contact both the coach builder and the chassis builder to get your name on file. Whether Spartan or any other chassis.

I think after new tires I will run up to the factory in Indiana and have him look at my levelors if Tom doesn't get to it and will have them look at it then. 

I also think the lower corner of the drivers windshield seems loose, intend to have that looked at before my next trip.  No moisture but either I'm imagining things or I see it shifting a bit.  The gasket and everything looks good but that's another check I want done.  One thing at a time on this oldie.

I just saw a report that says the affected chassis years are 2006-2010. The guy who reported that is usually reliable in his info, but he is not official.

I have a 2005 Dutch Star on a Spartan Chassis.  I took it to the Spartan factory in Aug 2012 for the first time.  Got the 44 point inspection and had some other maintenance done to it.  I was informed of a crack in the steering bracket that was discovered during the 44 point inspection.  It was found when the sterring was "stressed" which I assume means a full lock to lock movement.  I was also told they did not have any in stock, nor did they know when I might be able to get one.  I looked at the crack which was on the end of one of the four triangular shaped gussets welded on the inside of the bracket.  I opted to continue my trip, and checked it each day to make sure there was no propagation of the crack.  (There was none)

When I got home in September I ordered a new replacement bracket from Spartan (part # 1335-KK1-001, $474.00) planning on having it replaced, which I did when I went back to the Spartan factory in August of this year.  As before whenever I used the coach I did an daily inspection of the crack and found no propagation of it.  The bracket was replaced ($414.38 labor) and I kept the cracked one.  I took it to a industrial metal fabrication factory owned by a relative and they sand blasted it, repaired the weld, and powder coated it. 

I've attached three images of the repaired bracket.  One is of the entire bracket and shows the four triangular gussets which are welded on the inside.  The other are a closeup of the end of the gusset where the crack was and where it was repaired.

The "fix" to the crack (it was maybe 1/4 inch long at the tip of the gusset) was to put a double weld on the end of the gusset where the crack was in addition to the end of the other gusset which was not cracked.

At no time was I ever contacted about nor spoken to in person when I was at the service center about a "recall". I only discovered that last week when I called Spartan on a related matter and heard the recorded message about the recall.  When I contacted the representative he described the "crack" and it was exactly where the crack on my bracket was.  He then told me that my chassis was not among those affected by the recall.  This I found interesting since the bracket on my coach had cracked in the same way the recalled ones had, or at least that's what I was told by the representative with whom I spoke.

I am currently in discussion with Spartan to see if they will reimburse me for the part & labor to install it. 

Will post here with whatever they have to say to me.

Attachments

• Steering Gear Bracket 01.jpg
    Steering Gear Bracket 01.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Steering Gear Bracket 02.jpg
    Steering Gear Bracket 02.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Steering Gear Bracket 02a.jpg
    Steering Gear Bracket 02a.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 82
I have a 2007 Rexhall Roseair 40 ft. Diesel Pusher with a Spartan Chassis. On Dec. 16, 2014,  I was pulling out of my neighbor hood, when I heard a big pop. Then I couldn't steer to the right. I was stuck in the middle of the street. I got out looked under the front in and the sub frame had collapsed. I had it towed to the local auto shop. The shop claims the bracket weld broke. When contacted Spartan Chassis and sent pictures, Spartan called it a sub frame failure. They also asked for my VIN. After I gave Spartan the VIN number, They claim my VIN number is not the list.

Staff edit: Remove duplicate attachments

Attachments

• Rose Air Sub frame  failure.jpg
    Rose Air Sub frame failure.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7