Pets (dogs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent thread!

We are owned, and I do mean owned by 2 Bernese Mountain Dogs, and before that numerous English Springer Spaniels, and a German Shepherd. All have traveled with us over the past 34 years in our RVs. A trailer, a Class C, and now a Class A.

Our two Berners are left in the rig when we leave, if it isn't too hot. They are crated during that time. They may bark some, but we haven't had any complaints. They are show dogs and seem to have adjusted to being crated for their own protection.

My husband walks them usually 5 times a day. He carries his own bags to clean up after them and disposes of the waste properly. Hee walks them in the dog walk area or off property. We would be appaled to do otherwise.

HOWEVER, others are certainly not as respectful. There was a lady in our current campground who not only walked her little dog in others campgrounds, but let him do his business there and not clean up after him.

Has anyone ever spoken to a person like this, and asked them to clean up after their dog?

It is an awkward issue. Thanks for raisig the issue.

BernerGran

Has anyone ever spoken to a person like this, and asked them to clean up after their dog?

I have handed such individuals a pick up bag and said "Here is a pick up bag, in case you were out." I've gotten some "if looks could kill" stairs but they usually pick it up.  ;D

Etiquette should always be foremost.
However, it's not an inherited trait.

I agree with some have said earlier though, this discussion could apply to more than just people and dogs.

I for one do not think that I was being judgemental just stating facts.  As for the kids that is another subject just as bad, maybe the same pets owners that do not follow the rules are the owners of the kids that run around.  We are in WA and I do think this state is not aware what causes the outcome of children.  They sure have alot of them.  This past weekend not only did we see dogs out doing business, we also saw kids running around turning water on and off.  We have raised our family and now we feel it is our time our on the road, I surely don't think we should be part of raising others.  Parents don't care, you have to feel sorry for the kids when they are allowed to act this way at young ages, we can only hope they grow out of it before they become older and start running the country!  If the parents are not going to make them act human who can.  You really can't say much to any of them as they go way over the top.  Kids are usually just a weekend thing bu the pets are not.  Just watched a couple pull in in a 5th and put the dog out.  It did it's thing right by the steps and then the couple commented that someone let  their pet do that and leave it.  Right!  This could go on and on.  All I was trying to do was try to get pet owners to think about others with their pets.  And not all dog owners are aware or even care about bothering others.
C

I take my dog backpacking with me without incident.  He is a 30lb Cockapoo that I lease when people are around or control with a training collar (shock collar) when we are in the wilderness. 

I figured this was as good a time as any to share a few pics:

1. Musgy with my daughter
2. Backpacking in Michigan (Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness)
3. Me and Mugs at the trailhead
4. Blending into a dune at sunset

http://www.illinoishighschoolsports.com/ChinMusic/Mugsy/Mugsy02062005.jpg
http://www.illinoishighschoolsports.com/ChinMusic/Mugsy/n1.jpg
http://www.illinoishighschoolsports.com/ChinMusic/Mugsy/n12.jpg
http://www.illinoishighschoolsports.com/ChinMusic/Mugsy/n3.jpg

woodartist said:
How can someone "not" know their dog barks in an RV?

I am in Jackson, Wyoming right now.  Just witnessed a man and woman leaving a rig.  Dog in rig barking.  Man and woman locked the rig and left with the dog still barking in the rig.

Some people just don't care.

PhilB

Hey Phil,

If Doris locked you in the coach and left, you'd be barking too  ;D

cheryl said:
? Parents don't care, you have to feel sorry for the kids when they are allowed to act this way at young ages, You really can't say much to any of them as they go way over the top.?

Cheryl,
I am reminded of a recent kid and dog event I saw in a campground in Anchorage. A little kid around 3 or 4 was pitching the gravel rocks from the  campground at a dog  who had been left in a wire cage outside the RV.  The dog owners were gone but the dog was quiet in cage and mostly slept.  The little guy was seeing if he could disturb the dog or hit the cage or something.  After two or 3 handfuls  of gravel  tossed at the dog I couldn't take it any more. Now I am not a dog lover but his was too much!  And yes it crossed my mind that parents don't like for others to discipline their kids. So I hollered nicely out my coach door..."Hey that's not very nice!"  The kid froze in his tracks as if big brother had spoken.  He could not see me and immediately stopped and ran to his trailer and put his face to it as if to hide. It was clear he realized his actions were not OK.  His mom  must have heard me and came out and asked him what happened.  He must have confessed and he went inside not to be seen for the rest of afternoon.  Later when the dog owners came home, I saw mom take him over there and I think the result was an apology to dog and owner.  Owner let kid pet dog.  Happy ending!!!  Some parents do have to train their kids. I'm glad I spoke up.

Betty

Good for you, Betty. You did the right thing and so did the kid's mother making the kid apologize. Parents are responsible for making their children, hairy or otherwise, behave. To paraphrase Smoky, it's not the dogs or the kids, it's the parents.

I bet you have the same problem in your neighborhood or at least when you lived in one if you are full time now. That is an ongoing problem anywhere.
I do find your comment very negative whether you have had a dog or pet before.
I travel with 2 dogs sometimes my daughters as well. But first let me tell you that you won't find any of my dogs poo any where, my dogs use a litter box and never go outside they are indoor dogs. Litter box training has been very popular these days. Espeically if your dog is small enough any dog can be taught to do so. Large dogs I have heard can but I would think that would be tough and a large dog can be a little to big to be cooped up in an RV for long lenghths of time.
My dogs are 2 - teacups yorkies and my daughters dog is a 6 lb maltese.
I too boat and find no problems with the dogs in our situation of course or boat has the room 46'.
Maybe more people will start litter box training.

Colleen FL

Wendy

Excellent point well said.

I totally agree with everything you said.

ColleenFL

Cheryl

Sounds like you have had a pretty miserable life as a kid and now as an adult. What a shame. You should be thankful for being able to have the opportunity to go boating and rving, be happy that you are here. Turn all this negative energy into something positve.

We all agree that there are people who are disrepectful with their pets but I think their are many who are very respectful and out way the troublesome ones.

I guess you just needed to vent for some reason or another and I will just take all your posts as venting so you can be thankful for all that you have in life.

ColleenFL

colleenfl said:
a large dog can be a little to big to be cooped up in an RV for long lenghths of time.
Maybe more people will start litter box training.
Colleen FL

Hi Colleen,

I have a large labrador retriever who, like most retrievers, is fine being in the motorhome all day. We do try to take him out to run like crazy before and after leaving him. And we stop at least every two hours when driving to let him out for a bit. I think a lot depends on the dog and what he/she/it is used to. Sam has been traveling with us since we got him and has adapted well to the RV life-style (fortunately, since I'd hate to give up RVing but wouldn't give up Sam for anything).

Good for you litter box training your dogs so no one finds their poo anywhere (well, except for you). And good for all responsible dog owners who pick up after their dogs. And double good for those of us who occasionally pick up other dogs poo when we have an extra baggie. And double-double good for those of us with large dogs who fill baggies but who we still pick up after.

On our recent trip to the UK I was pleasantly surprised to see "dog poo disposal boxes" all over the place. Typically, they were attached to telephone poles and were painted the same color as the old-style UK mail boxes (red). Yer picks up after the dog and desposits the deposit in the provided box.

We have 2 larger dogs and they get a good hike in the morning and when travelling we do stop and give them breaks. We usually take them everywhere we go and on the rare occassion we can't, they stay in the RV without any problems. Usually only for no more than 1-2 hours. If it is hot, we never leave them because the AC could fail. When hiking in the woods, we let them go as would the deer, moose, bear, and coyotes ;)

Wendy

I did not mean that big dogs should not be allowed,  I so sorry if I did not mean it to be taken that way, please accept my appology. I know everyone and anyone who loves there pets just like one of the family takes excellent care of them and most  owners are very responsible and respectful. I think if that loveable 80, 100 or even bigger just loves hopping into that MH then go for it he or she would be very sad left behind and would make for a miserable trip by you knowing that good old fido wanted to be with you on the trip.
I sure hope that if my doggies are barking while I am gone that someone would please tell me so I could take care of the situation the only way we know is by someone telling us.  Some people are the first to tell you if your child is doing something wrong please do the same for our pets so we may correct the problem.

Colleen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom