Maybe silly question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maddie

But we like those don't we? Like to hear from the experts we have that opine.

Is there a problem with running the gennie while gassing up? I need to fill the beast before an upcoming trip and need to run the gennie, too. Since it takes about 45 minutes to fill up because of where I live, I'd like to do both at the same time.  Any problem?

My question to your post, why does it take 45 minutes to fill a less than 100 gallon gas tank?  In my opinion I don't think it matters if your generator is running as long as it is running prior to starting to fill your gas tank. 
I will watch for replies.  Regards, Dick

Yes, it takes 45 minutes because I live on the NC/SC border. Gas is about thirty cents a gallon cheaper in SC so I drive the extra 15 minutes to get there.  And because so many others do the same the station is usually busy.  I have my favorite 'spot' where I don't block too many while filling which means I usually have to wait.

So, I gather it's okay to run the generator.

Hmm. There are signs around nearly all gas pumps to turn off engines when fueling. There is the possibility of gasoline fumes from open gas fill tubes, nozzle ends, and possible spills. Gas generators could provide a possible ignition source. I would not choose to run the generator while fueling, and if you were doing so when I was there, I would stay away until you were finished. IMO, it is not OK.

I would err on the side of safety and say no. When I fuel up, I make sure all of my appliances are off (refrigerator primarily) too. I have even gotten into the habit of turning off the propane entirely before I fuel up.

I tend to err on the safe side, too, so I'll nix that idea.  I, too, make sure propane is off, but never thought about the fridge.

Turning off the propane isn't really necessary but it's also not sufficient.  Turn off any appliance that use DSI to light like the water heater and refrigerator.  It's the spark that can cause a fire.  I would also not run a generator while fueling, especially around gas pumps.

A cell phone won't cause a spark and is no threat when fueling.  That's an urban legend.

Ned said:
Turning off the propane isn't really necessary but it's also not sufficient.  Turn off any appliance that use DSI to light like the water heater and refrigerator.  It's the spark that can cause a fire.  I would also not run a generator while fueling, especially around gas pumps.

You're absolutely right, turning the appliances off before fueling is the correct method...this is something that I have forgotten to do, but I have now added the items to my fueling checklist.

While we don't think about it much anymore, some appliances have pilot lights (even some newer ones). Those must be shut off as well when fueling.

Historical note:
Back in the day, the advice used to be "turn off the propane" because that resulted in all pilot lights being extinguished. A nice, fail-safe method at that time.  That advice became obsolete around 1988-1990 with the advent of DSI, which automatically re-lights propane burners as needed. Since then, turning  the propane off but leaving the appliance(s) "on" is actually very bad advice, since it results in repeated attempts by the appliance to re-light, generating the very sparks we wish to prevent. However, the old legend persists and more than a few people mistakenly turn of the LP tank instead of the appliance. And advise others to do the same.

Okay, Okay. Now I'm too afraid to gas up the coach so I'll just let it sit.

Kidding, thanks for the advice.

Maddie said:
Okay, Okay. Now I'm too afraid to gas up the coach so I'll just let it sit.

Get a diesel, much less chance of a fire while fueling :)

If there's a guy smoking while filling his gas tank, drive on to the next gas station.

Ned!!

I did the research and you are correct, there is a city Cicero  IL that banned phones at the pumps. passed a law. 

Static Electrify. 

Question that has nothing to do with the original question. Just how much are you really saving by driving 15 minutes in order to save $.30 a gallon.

Example: 15 minute trip = 30 minute round trip = 32 miles
              I get 8 mpg  8 into 32 = 4 gallons of gas @ $ 3.75 = $15.00
              If  one buys 50 gallons @ $.30 savings = $15.00
                                60 gallons @ $.30 savings = $18.00
Besides the trouble, if you are not buying over 50 gallons you may be going to a lot of trouble for nothing.

Yes, I turn off everything.

Frank

Question that has nothing to do with the original question. Just how much are you really saving by driving 15 minutes in order to save $.30 a gallon.

Frank

My thoughts exactly, "time is money"

However, when we travel I wait to fill up in NJ.  cost $14.00 in tolls to get off LI.

Only if I'm going through NJ

I once had a friend turn around on I95 to save 10c a gal. Time lost more than savings.

I turn off the boat engine when refueling at the dock but in 43 years of street driving I've always had the habit of leaving the engine running while at the pump. I think two times in all those years an attendant has asked me to shut down. I once operated a couple of old snowplow trucks and figured best to leave them running till the job was done or they might not start up again, they'd sometimes go 30 hours without shut down. Same with the motor home, though always reliable starting, I hate to shut down on a trip on the outside chance it might not restart. If anyone thinks I'm putting others in harms way I'll reconsider my ways but I have never had a problem nor heard of others having a problem.

Some while ago a lot of places made rules about turning off cell phones because of a popular but mistaken belief they caused explosions. Even though long since debunked, many of those regs are still in effect. A running engine used to be a common source of sparks too, but changes in technology have made that an obsolete concern as well and engine sparks are no longer a statistically significant problem. We aren't likely to see that reg go away any time soon either, but it is largely forgotten.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsWebster
Back
Top Bottom