Question regarding CHL for RV'ers who are full timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all

I have a question I'd like to get your feedback on.

I have my concealed carry permit from Texas.  I saw that there were a number of CCW carriers here, so it's probably a great place to ask.

I am well versed in carrying in Texas, but I am now mobile in the RV.  I have researched the reciprocity of the Texas permit, and I appear to be fine for all the states I am intending / hoping to go to or through anytime soon.

I have also recently moved out of Texas, and am now physically in Missouri.  Not certain exactly where I will end up, so I am hesitant to go get my MO CCW permit as yet. 

That's the question I have - what is the recommendation of the RV travelers & CCW holders here regarding what to do with my TX CCW permit?  Should I simply update my address with the state of Texas, and not worry about it further?  Doing so invokes the non-resident Texas CHL type - no other real difference as far as I can discern.  Or should I do something different?

Like I said I don't know where I will end up at this point.  My "permanent address" is in flux until I find the work I want/need, and settle down a bit.  Until then, I am going to move to where the work may be.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
ZAG

I would register with the address I get mail at. If you sent in an Income Tax form this year you used the address that you "would return too" if you were gone. Some states allow addresses from pretty much anywhere, my AZ permit uses my WA address as does my WA permit, so as long as TX is as lenient then you have no worries.

Ken

As well versed as you are on CHL in Texas, reciprocity with other states does not mean the same as Texas.
Be sure you know the concealed carry rules, restrictions, limitations, exclusions, etc. in the state you are in! They can vary greatly. (in Texas pistol in car must be concealed; in NC, it must be in plain view.)
Check with your current state on their rules. Make sure if you opt for the "out of state CHL from Texas" it is included in the reciprocity agreement; per the CHL handbook their doesn't appear to be much difference. I would not try to claim a resident CHL in Texas if I have established residency in another state. Some states say you have established residency if you reside there for 30 contiguous days and will tax you and treat you as a resident. It does not matter to those states where you keep your address. (Have had to leave a state (MD) and have proof of living in an other state for at least one day to keep from having to pay income tax there.)
Check for changes in each state's rules and interpretations frequently as they do change.
I would check with local licensing agency to be certain.

I read up on concealed carry for Missouri, as well as the states in between on our route up here.  I'm up to speed on the requirements there.

I am simply considering what to do on the address issue.  I just learned it's another $25 to update my address.  Man, I swear, in the day & age of electronic everything - it's ridiculous to have to pay such a price to update records.  This is especially true since TX DPS has a website to update the address with.  It'd be different if a human being had to enter my hand written change of address form.

As for tax implications etc - no sweat there, really.  I have worked a tiny bit in Missouri - so clearly the income tax angle is secured by that state for the period of time I was at that job.

ZAG

Back
Top Bottom