Joel does the Oregon Coast in a Popup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelmyer

I've been wanting to go to the Oregon Coast almost as long as I've been on the forum.  Camille no longer has an interest in long trips like that.  A couple of years ago I did the Beartooth in my Corolla with a tent in the trunk.  Great but exhausting.

So... I bought a popup and I'm heading to Oregon right after the 4th and want to be home before Labor Day.

I'm looking for suggestions along the way but don't have a lot of route flexibility since I have reservations from LA to Cascade Locks.  I don't like that but based on what I've heard about the Oregon Coast in Summer....

Here's the Plan:

Georgia to Pie Town via Memphis,  OKC, and Tucumcari to spend a few days with Ann & Jim.

LA via Brenda to visit boy child.

Up the coast to Monterey for a couple of nights and the 17 mile drive.

to Petaluma via the GGB overlook and Muir Woods Natl Monument.

Three nights at Kalmath and look at Redwoods.

One week at Irelands & ride the jet boat.

One week at Winchester Bay, eat ice cream at the Cheese Factory in Brandon, visit Tom & Margi, day trip to Crater Lake?

One week at Tillamonk, eat cheese, visit Elmwood factory

Four nights at Cascade Locks, see what Woody was talking about

From here my only constraint is to be home before Labor Day

Craters of the Moon via Boise and Stanley

Independence via Rock Springs, Cheyenne and Elm Creek to visit Harry's Library

Home via Johnston City

Suggestions for great food and interesting natural or historic sites along the way?

Joel

Lots and lots of lighthouses.

Drive along, stop periodically, suck up the scenery.

Spruce Goose

Tillamook cheese and ice cream

Crater Lake if you can route yourself to it

Columbia River Gorge and Multnomah Falls

Send lots and lots of pictures to Camille so she sees what she's missing and goes with you next time :)

Thank you Wendy, good advise.

I've added the Spruce Goose as a stop between Tillamonk and Cascade Locks.

Joel,

The Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum (including the Spruce Goose) is well worth a full day.

Winchester bay is our favorite place on the coast. Take the long ride on Jerry's jet Boat.

ken

Well I've been at Irelands in Gold beach for a few days now.  I did the Jerry's Rogue River Jet Boat tour the long course.

Thank you to all in the forum who recommended all of the above.

Next week, Winchester Bay.

Joel

Joel,

West from Coos Bay is Cape Argo State Park and Sunset State Park. Along this road in the park are great places to watch the seals out on the rocks offshore. Sunset has a nice CG, but not for our rig so we usually do this as a day trip from Winchester Bay. Couple of nice restaurants in Charleston on the way out.

In Newport stop for Pie and Coffee at the Chalet restaurant (if you like Pie) -20th and Hwy 101. In Winchester Bay we like Griff's.

If you like to walk an uncrowded beach, in Winchester Bay take Salmon Harbor Dr towards the Lighthouse, but don't take the Lighthouse turnoff, take the road off to the right past the campground that is also on the right (this is a different CG than the one near the lighthouse turnoff). This will take you to a parking lot with a short walk to the beach right near the breakwater for the river outlet. From here you can walk south for miles along a beautiful beach.

Have a great trip

ken
current at Gros Morne NP in Newfoundland

Thanks Ken for the suggestions.

I had lunch at Griffs in Port Orford yesterday.  Good, not great food, but the ambiance!

Joel

Right around the first of August is the best wildflower display I have ever seen. It is at the Paradise area of Mount Rainier. If you are a fan of wildflowers this is the Superbowl.

Hey Joel,
Would Camille be interested in giving "kitchen pass" seminars? Maybe I could enroll my DW.  ;D ;D

Bruce, you mean your wife doesn't give you two month 7,000 mile kitchen passes?

Tillamook Air Museum

The big bridge in Coos Bay.

On the way to Shore Acres State Park near Coos Bay to see the amazing gardens and the shore, stop in Charleston for a seafood lunch (Dungeness crabs - num), and to watch the families working crab pots from the dock. Sea lions keep taking over some of the docks - visit them too.

Elk near Reedsport.

The Sea Lion Caves are a tourist trap, but still worth the stop.

The Oregon Connection/House of Myrtlewood store and factory in Coos Bay is worth an hour, and it is right on 101.

Tillamook Cheese for sure. Try the squeaky curds.

The Evergreen Air and Space Museum is smack-dab in the heart of the Willamette Valley wine region. If you like wine tasting you could spend a week there.

If you are stopping at the locks, take the time to drive a little ways south to Mt. Hood. The old lodge on the south side is great.

I'm flattered Wendy.

The Jet Boat trip up the Rogue is a must do.  The whole 104 mile trip!

Well I wanted to thank everybody and provide some feedback.

Highlights:
OKC Cowboy Museum
Visit with Anne & Jim in Pie Town & visiting with a real cowboy
Visit with boy child in LA
CA 1
Saturday Night Salmon & Chicken BBQ at Kamp Klamath
The Redwoods
Jet Boat trip up the Rouge River (gotta go all the way!)
fresh oysters
planked salmon cooked by me
breakfast with Tom & Margi, Wally & Heleine
Evergreen Aviation
Columbia River, Historic Route 30, Bonneville Dam, Riverboat ride
Coeur d'Arlene
The ride from Coeur d' Arlene to Montana
Harry Truman's Library

Again thank you all for helping make this a great trip.

Now let me tell you about my next trip....

Joel

Congratulations on a great trip! But where are the photos?

-Roni

tstumpf said:
Congratulations on a great trip! But where are the photos?

-Roni

I'm still weeding them down. Running into a severe shortage of round tuits.

Let's see - one each from the highlights.  I'll work on that.

Joel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom