2013 - Alaska Adventure part two!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wigpro

Well my Alaska Adventure has taken an unexpected turn. My early spring trip up for a job in the Denali area was an adventure, for sure, with plenty of snow and bad weather. When I arrived in Cantwell everything was still frozen and we had more snow several days in a row. I arrived there on May 9th - Exactly one month from when I left Arizona. It is well documented in my BLOG if you would like to catch up.

Well the late winter and then early very warm weather put my boat job in jeopardy and it ended before it really started. The heavy snow and ice buildup had the river frozen solid until very late in May, then a two week rush of hot weather, high 70's brought all the snow down and ice melting caused the companies "River Camp" for the boat tours to flood, putting the building under water and unable to launch the boats, which meant a ton of lost business. In fact many areas of Alaska experienced significant flooding this year and some towns are still underwater or recovering from severe damage from the ice and water. Anyway, my position was eliminated so I am on the road again.

Right now I am sitting in the Wal-Mart parking lot along with 15 or so other RV's in Fairbanks Alaska, I am on my way to Haines where I have a short camp host gig lined up in one of my favorite areas of Alaska. I will be working HERE! If you get to Haines be sure to stop in and say hello, this is one of the most beautiful campgrounds in Alaska, make reservations it fills up the views are to die for. I will be there for three or four weeks and will also be doing some job hunting in Haines and Skagway, otherwise I am heading back to Montana for some river fishing!

Funny thing here in Fairbanks...the parking lot has stanchions with 110 V outlets so people can plug their cars in during the winter. I noticed several small campers were plugged in....I checked the nearest post to me and it was dead, so I walked around and found one that was on and after going to the laundramat came back and parked by the live one. I went in and did my stock up on groceries and supplies to the tune of $182.00 and on my way out stopped by Customer Service and asked the manager about the electric outlets and they assured me they were OFF and they were controlled out of headquarters in Arkansas and they could not be turned on. I said well there are several campers plugged in and the manager laughed and said well they have no electric....so I laughed with him and returned to my camper to unload my groceries and watch TV and enjoy my electric. Nice to keep my laptop charged without having to run the generator and heat something up quick in the microwave. So if in Fairbanks - take your tester and check the outlets at least a few are alive....

My travel plans call for me to drive from here to Tok, probably tomorrow or the next day, spend a night there and then get ready for the roughest road to Haines Junction. Will probably take a break there from the rough road and then head down the short beautiful drive to Haines the next day.

I expect to take my time as I don't need to rush to be in Haines, the job is a temporary position that doesn't really start until around the 15th. Plus I want to spend some time on my photography and smell the roses....

Stay tuned, I will update as to road conditions and the trials of my journey.

Enjoy,

Jim

A quick edit for you computer junkies - Verizon has activated their network in Alaska and I am sitting here with 4G service on my hotspot in Fairbanks!! YIPPEE!

Tom said:
Sorry to hear this Jim.

It is actually a good thing, I was not happy the job wasn't as promised and the owner was complaining of money problems so better to end it early get paid for time served and move on...it will affect some long term plans but good old SS will keep me alive and traveling. Plus if I don't find something for the remainder of the summer it will put me back in the lower 48 in plenty of time to get a better winter job. Usually I leave Alaska so late that I miss the prime winter positions.

So all is well and for the better!! Thanks for the concern.

Jim

Aye Jim, sometimes these setbacks have a way of working out for the better.

Jim, Margaret and I are at the Tok RV Village if you get a chance stop by and say hello. Space #409. We have been following your post as we head to Fairbanks. Will be driving the Jeep to Chicken but will be back this evening before dark. Just kidding about the dark.

Henry Wishard said:
Jim, Margaret and I are at the Tok RV Village if you get a chance stop by and say hello. Space #409. We have been following your post as we head to Fairbanks. Will be driving the Jeep to Chicken but will be back this evening before dark. Just kidding about the dark.

It is a beautiful day here and I am about half inclined to crawl under the camper on this nice blacktop and rewire my trailer brakes the wire which pulled off on the way North with the heavy slush and snow....I bought the wire and connectors and had planned to fix it sometime this summer and today just might be the day, so I won't be to Tok until tomorrow. I will check site 409 and see if you are still there....Thanks for the invite! Fun to meet people on the forum.

Enjoy,

Jim

Update - May 12 2013 - Sadly I arrived at the Tok Rv Village the same day that Henry and Margaret moved on to Fairbanks, I think we waved at each other on the road....

I spent the night in Tok had a wonderful halibut dinner at Fast Freddies and then got an early morning start for the rough road drive from Tok to Haines Junction.

Road Update for you North Bounders....

Haines Junction to Destruction Bay is good road with only two or three warning cones for breaks or frost heaves. In Destruction Bay there is about 2 miles of dirt and gravel road where they are preparing to re-pave and as I recall from my early spring trip it was really needed. The dirt and gravel sections are pretty smooth but muddy and or dusty....so plan on the rig getting plenty dirty on this leg of the trip....no sense washing in Haines Junction....

Then pretty good road to Burwash Landing where you hit another dirt section about 2 miles long, be prepared to stop as construction is ongoing.

The rest of the drive to the Canadian Customs building in Beaver Creek is full of frost heaves and rough road....watch carefully for the little orange flags or cones and heed their warning to slow down anything over 35 or so and stuff will go flying.

Past Beaver Creek the road gets even worse if you can believe that...lots of dirt sections and some very, very rough areas. They are also replacing a huge culvert and had traffic stopped and a pilot car in one section, I waited about 20 minutes....

Once you reach US Customs you are on good road on into Tok with two warning cones along the way....

This morning I am leaving Haines Junction and heading to Haines Ak....more tomorrow!!

Jim

Jim, Where did you end up? We are in Cooper Landing doing some salmon fishing. We will be coming out of Alaska in late August. Just jumping around the Kenai until our grand kids fly in the middle of July.

I am in Haines...at Oceanside RV Park and will be here until late August, come on by....Haines is a wonderful town and one of my favorite cities in Alaska!!

Stop by if you get out this way.....I have been following your adventures...enjoy the Kenai!

Jim

Jim, Don and I will be in Haines July 21-23, also staying at Oceanside RV Park. Hope to see you then! We arrive by ferry the afternoon of the 21st.  When checking in we'll ask what space you're in and come over to say Hi.  I was planning to visit you in Cantwell until Don told me you had already moved on to Haines. Stay well and have a good summer until then...

SaltyAdventurer said:
Jim, Don and I will be in Haines July 21-23, also staying at Oceanside RV Park. Hope to see you then! We arrive by ferry the afternoon of the 21st.  When checking in we'll ask what space you're in and come over to say Hi.  I was planning to visit you in Cantwell until Don told me you had already moved on to Haines. Stay well and have a good summer until then...

I will be here I am camp hosting so you will surely see me!! Enjoy your journey!!

Jim

Jim, We will be coming through Haines on our way back to the states. I am sure we will be there late Aug. Do I need to reserve?

Henry Wishard said:
  Jim, We will be coming through Haines on our way back to the states. I am sure we will be there late Aug. Do I need to reserve?

Yes you will at east a few days ahead of time...best view in Haines, but it is a small tight park with only 23 sites, so it fills up rapidly....phone 907-766-2437 and we will save a spot for you when you can confirm your dates!!

http://www.oceansiderv.com/home

Jim

Back
Top Bottom