Slide out utility tray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinaryBob

Moderator Emeritus
I'm looking for a heavy duty slide out tray for the basement storage compartment, and am having a difficult time with the compartment depth - it measures 21.75" deep. Kwikee sells the brackets at either 16" or 22"
Anyone else run into this problem? How did you solve the sliding tray issue with these measurements?

Depended on weight, look at slides for kitchen cabinets.  They come in many different lengths and I have shortened some of them to fit.  You only need a 1/4".  The last ones I installed were rated for 150# and were full slides.  They do come in 20" and with the full slide feature only 2" of the drawer will not be exposed when opened. If I remember right they were about $15, but you still need to make the drawer.

Didn't even look at who was asking.  Check out Rockler  out by Ridgedale, the Lyndale Ave shop closed last I looked.

Kevin, the tray is for a dometic portable electric cooler which weighs 75 pounds. I'm assuming about another 75 if I load it to the max? Not sure if Rockler has brackets with a larger weight capacity. I'll visit the Ridgedale store when it opens today. I'd like to stay on the conservative side of the weight capacity. 40 or so bucks for brackets would be a much cheaper way to go.
John, this option is excellent! If Rockler doesn't have the beef, I'm ordering tomorrow. Quite a bit more $$ but it would be the ideal solution.
Thank you all!

Update....
After much back-and-forth with a very nice and patient chap at Innovative Industries ( the makers of slidemaster), it was determined they cannot accommodate my cargo space.
To plan B - Took Kevin's advice and visited Rockler, got 20" full extension slide rails rated for 220 pounds. I'm fairly handy, but have no experience with this hardware. Pictures and details of similar self made slide out trays would be extremely helpful and appreciated.
All I know at this point, is I need to add support underneath the cargo bay as it is fiberglass.
Thanks

Too bad Slidemaster couldn't make it work for your space.  I've built cabinets with full extension slides rails like those, it would take a little head scratching to figure out how to design that for this application.  I think you need some angle steel or aluminum to mount the stationary part of the rail to and then bolt the foot to the compartment floor.

Just to muddy the water, remember that the kitchen slide weight ratings are usually based on a static application. Even though the slide is presumed closed during travel, it can reasonably be assumed that the tray will see shocks as high as perhaps 5g. That could reduce that 75 lb rating to 15 lb for a simplistic example. I'd also suspect that finding a mounting arrangement that would withstand that kind of shock loading may not be simple.
This needs to be an engineered solution and thus the high cost of systems designed specifically for the application.

JM2C

Ernie

John Canfield said:
Too bad Slidemaster couldn't make it work for your space.  I've built cabinets with full extension slides rails like those, it would take a little head scratching to figure out how to design that for this application.  I think you need some angle steel or aluminum to mount the stationary part of the rail to and then bolt the foot to the compartment floor.

Agreed. It would have been much simpler.
Metal is difficult to work with unless you have the tools. I'm thinking of mounting up-right 2X4's through the cargo floor with several long lag bolts, then mounting the slide rails to these. It's got to be sturdy, but the pullout is only 20".
Any thoughts on wood?

Ernie n Tara said:
Just to muddy the water, remember that the kitchen slide weight ratings are usually based on a static application. Even though the slide is presumed closed during travel, it can reasonably be assumed that the tray will see shocks as high as perhaps 5g. That could reduce that 75 lb rating to 15 lb for a simplistic example. I'd also suspect that finding a mounting arrangement that would withstand that kind of shock loading may not be simple.
This needs to be an engineered solution and thus the high cost of systems designed specifically for the application.

Ernie, you didn't just muddy the water, you turned it to sludge..  ;)
This old non-engineer can't comprehend what you just said. Can you elaborate?

BinaryBob said:
Metal is difficult to work with unless you have the tools. I'm thinking of mounting up-right 2X4's through the cargo floor with several long lag bolts, then mounting the slide rails to these. It's got to be sturdy, but the pullout is only 20".
Any thoughts on wood?
I don't think wood is the ideal material for this application and that would not be high on my list - for one, it takes up more space and isn't stable like steel.  Find a welding shop and work with them - they can weld up two pieces of flat bar or might have some angle iron to make your slide supports.  Through bolt the angle iron to the floor using fender washers (they can drill holes for the bolts.)

If you can make it here in the next couple of days, I can fix you up  :D (we leave in six days for Colorado.)

Static vs. dynamic weight - while I agree with Ernie that there can be a considerable difference in loading, I really wouldn't be too concerned for your application.  Here's an interesting thread from a woodworking forum that I'm a member of that addresses this very subject.

John, very informative as usual.  :)
OK.. I at least have the ability to cut and drill angle iron. I'll go that route. Need to find a piece that's 3.5 inches high so the slide rails get over the cargo bay lip. Not sure what I need to have welded. Can I have 2 independent pieces (one on each side), or should I also include cross pieces of steel? I want to do this right, but don't want to drill unnecessary holes in the cargo bottom. I'm assuming the sliding platform is still OK with 3/4 plywood?
Also, with steel do I still need support underneath the cargo bay, or am I OK with large fender washers? ( the mounting surface is fiberglass).
I'd love to take you up on that offer but work prevails.
Thanks again.

Bob - if I was building that for my coach, I would try to find some angle iron that would place the slides high enough while not being too thick (maybe 1/8" would be about right.)  If that's not available, then two pieces of flat bar welded at a right angle, or even a "T" shape with the top of the "T" being on the bottom.

Tying the two brackets together would be two pieces of 1" to 2" flat bar on the bottom that can also be used to spread the load on the compartment floor and you can through-bolt the cross pieces - your assembly would look like a square.

My compartment floors aren't fiberglass but some kind of sandwich of other materials (my plumbing bay is spin molded plastic.)  BTW, Winnebago's training manager told me a few years ago to limit compartment loading to no more than about 250 pounds.

Hmmm - now I'm thinking about building a slide like that for my compartment that has a large mechanic's tool box.  I don't have the time now, but it sounds like a great fall project  :).

Bob,  Don't know if you're in a hurry or not,  but if you want to go for a trip- come to Alexandria and I think we can get something worked out.  I have all the tools I think we need-wood and welders.  Email [email protected]  By the I have replaced all the old drawer guides in my unit with the ones you bought and keep my cast iron pans in one big drawer with no problems.  If installed right those guides will hold.

Bob,

Just looking at the design, I expext the weak point is probably the wheels or, more likely, the shaft supporting them. The shear stress placed on them is the supported mass times any shock loads (neglecting fatigue), therefore 5G loading places five times the static shear load on the shaft (axle). As John said, this may be manageable,  but it should beconsidered.

Ernie

I can't find angle iron at the DIY stores greater than 2", so I'm back to a 2X4 on the bottom to get the proper height. I think this might be OK since the slide "rests" on the inside bottom of the angle iron, and the wood provides support for the fiberglass bottom.
The angle iron is quite thick steel that I can bolt the slide rail to, then 5 large bolts through the bottom side of the angle iron, through the 2X4, through the cargo bottom, then to a steel flat bar underneath.
Since the depth is only 20" / width is 32", the guy at Rockler said this will work for a max. 150 lb.  / 20 inch extension.
I appreciate the offers of assistance but can't make it away from work. Just took 2 weeks off. Hopefully I'll get this done before mid-july when we take off for SD.

If this configuration is an epic fail, I can live with that, then hopefully these offers stand for the future when I have more time. My main concern is not damaging the fiberglass cargo bottom. Everything else can be re-done.

(Sorry for the poor picture that is not geometrically accurate. Years ago I failed keeping the crayon in side the lines.....)
As I've said, this type of "designing" is not my strong suit. If you see anything here that makes you laugh or cry, please let me know..
Thanks all!

Attachments

• SKMBT_C25313061314060.jpg
    SKMBT_C25313061314060.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 36
Bob - that should work fine for you, I see no show stoppers.  Like a lot of engineering, sometimes it's design, build, test, re-design but I think that's a winner for a start.

I'm relieved. I'll give this a go and see what happens. It's funny.. I've spent weeks on this. The actual installation shouldn't take more than a few hours. Think I'll also include aluminum angle on the sides of the 3/4" plywood platform.

Ernie n Tara said:
..Even though the slide is presumed closed during travel, it can reasonably be assumed that the tray will see shocks as high as perhaps 5g. That could reduce that 75 lb rating to 15 lb for a simplistic example...
To add an exclamation point to Ernie's comment, the deck in Miami that collapsed last night is a prime example of the forces of dynamic loading.  According to the news reports this morning, there were quite a few people on the wooden deck watching the Miami Heat bball game and they all decided to jump up at the same time (and what goes up must come down.)

BANG, down they went into the water when the deck collapsed under the extra loading.  The deck was fine with the static loading of all those people but not the dynamic loading.

I'm assuming the deck had to be permitted and inspected - Miami has a very robust building code due to the hurricane danger, maybe this will prompt a review of the code.

I feel horrible for the dozens injured in the deck collapse, but in my case the most I'll lose is a batch of binarybock home brew.
A tragic event to say the least, but not life threatening...

Back
Top Bottom