2010 Ford F150 Tow Capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camper13

We are looking into buying a travel trailer.  We had a seasonal site, but are now looking into traveling more, so we want something light weight we can tow.

I have a 2010 F150 STX, 4.6L, Supercab, V8, 2 valve, 4x4, 4 speed automatic transmission with 3.73 axle ratio.  The maximum towing capacity is 5500 lbs. 

Does this sound accurate when a Ford Ranger with a V6 can tow the same amount?

Tow rating depend on a wide variety of factors and half ton trucks in particular have a broad range of ratings, depending on wheel base, cab type, bed length, engine, rear axle, brakes, cooling, etc. etc. etc.

The official 2010 F150 towing guide from Ford confirms 5500 for your configuration.

From what I have read you should stay around 4,900 lbs. total including your trailer, propane gas, water,etc. when you stay 10% under the max.  So you will need to look at best for a 3,500 lbs.  This won't give you a lot of options.  You may need to move to a different TV. My 2 cents.

Gary, perhaps I am wrong, but when I mentioned 3,500 lbs, I was talking about dry weigh of the TT.  Camper 13 said that their truck max is 5,500 lbs.  From what I have read in this forum, to be on the safe side, they should stay about 10% if they drive east and 20% if they are going west.  This will bring down the max towing safe figure to 4,950 at 10% or 4,400 at 20%.  I also have read that you can count on about 1,500 to 1,000 pounds for the weigh of the propane tanks, water, chairs, clothing, gear, and other stuff that we put in a TT.  If these figures are correct, and 1,500 to 1,000 lbs are deducted from the max safe towing number then the balance for dry weigh of the TT is somewhere around 3,500. 

Again, maybe I am wrong and welcome your perspective on this.  For months I have read all your comments in this forum and have learned a lot from you. Hope this clarifies my comment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom