Lightweight - Under 5000 lbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camper13

Need recommendations for a lightweight travel trailer, dry weight under 4800 pounds?

Ideally, it would have a slideout, master bed, and a set of bunk beds.
We don't have kids (yet), but we have two big dogs, so we need some floor space.

Ditch the dry weight number use GVWR.

Like my RV states its a 6,588# Dry weight but actual on the scales it was 7,200#. So dry weight is meaningless and should ne be used for specs of buying a RV. Because no one buys a empty RV to haul around empty. So state your vehicle towing capacity and then we'll help you find a RV with GVWR below your vehicle towing capacity. It would be helpful to know what your tow vehicle is.

2010 Ford F150, 4.6L, 2 valve, 4x4, 4 Speed transmission - Maximum tow capacity 5500 lbs. 

We were figuring 600 - 1000 pounds of cargo. 
We wouldn't put 2000 pounds of cargo, so we didn't think the max GVWR was as important to us in our search criteria.

Yea... You want to find a RV with a GVWR of 5,500 or less. Now if your in the mountain out west like I am then you want to find a RV of 4,950 (or 10% less).

Kind of like I've got a max combine rating of 20,000#for the truck and 13,650# worth of trailer I can haul with the truck. But I've got a travel trailer with a GVWR of 8,500#. So between both truck and trailer I weight out at 16,080# last time I checked which is still below my 20,000# for the combine weight and I'm below the 13,650# on the trailer weight number. Also Just under the 8,800# rating of the truck at 8,320# for the truck alone. All these number come into play for safety value.

Just because you can fit the trailer weight the truck might get over load with cargo just alone in the cab/bed.  ;)

I'm sure Gary or other will be able to fill in more..

Most people seriously underestimate the cargo weight, plus the trailer probably weighs more than its supposed dry weight even before you put your first lb of cargo onboard. Propane and the base load of water in the water heater and residual in the tanks adds about 100 lbs right off the bat, and you may have options above and beyond the base dry weight as well.

Also be aware that your max tow rating on the truck doe snot include passengers and gear in the truck, nor the weight of the trailer hitch. Those have to be figured in as well (they decrease the max tow rating).  You MAY be right that you will never reach GVWR, but I'll bet your actual weight will be greater than your estimate.

Thanks.  There really is a lot to consider and being new to traveling we want to make sure we are taking everything we need to into account. 

I suspect you don't have a good feel for the weight of trailers. Given a max GROSS weight of about 5, 000 lb., you're not going to find everything you specified. I'd suggest you attend an RV show and look at the smaller trailers noting the GROSS weight of each (located on the left side front outside the trailer) and the floor plans. This should quickly give you a feel for what is a realistic expectaion.

Ernie

No, we realize our list is near impossible, which is why we were reaching out on here to see if anyone had any suggestions.  We have found a couple that have met our criteria, but we hear a lot of different input.

Look at  Allen Camper  http://allencampermfg.com/index.html.
I see a 201 FBS Outpost lite that has a slide. Shipping weight is 3450 lbs with a 4500 GVWR. They have other non slide TTs under 5500 GVWR.

They also show a couple of 5th wheel trailers at 5600 and 4500 GVWRs with 500 lbs pin weights.

I bought my first new 9 1/2'  truck camper from these folks in 1972.  They have been in the RV buisness since the '60s.

Camper13 said:
2010 Ford F150, 4.6L, 2 valve, 4x4, 4 Speed transmission - Maximum tow capacity 5500 lbs. 

We were figuring 600 - 1000 pounds of cargo. 
We wouldn't put 2000 pounds of cargo, so we didn't think the max GVWR was as important to us in our search criteria.

Tell ya what, if I don't watch my lovely wife like a hawk our rig would gain 200lbs each trip out.  :eek:

You'd swear we were never coming back.  ::)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom