I guess I've jumped in with both feet!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vtrv

I purchased a 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 35PBD a week and a half ago, not quite on a whim, but definitely on short notice.  It's my first RV (go big or go home, right?) and it seems to be in good condition for the age.  My boss and close friend owns a 42ft MH that I've been around and dealing with for a few years, so I've been learning quite a bit from him.  I suspect this one was left sitting for a bit before it was sold, but so far there haven't seemed to be any major issues.  That is, until it practically monsooned for 2 days because of the hurricane. 

Turns out, there's a leak in the bedroom slide and most of the hallway area is completely soaked.  I didn't like the worn carpet to begin with, but this is definitely going to push my hand to replace it!

I'm fairly handy and I've done quite a bit of research on here and elsewhere for flooring replacements.  It appears as though many DIYer's use a floating vinyl tile (Allure, etc) or Pergo.  They seem like they would work well, but I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with:

1. Since I'd be replace carpet under 2 slides that seem to be of 2 different types (the living room drops down to 'level' and I only see dark marks at the end of the slides), I'm assuming people haven't had too much trouble with height difference?  Should I put a 1/4" sheet down before the new flooring?

2. How does vinyl hold up to dog nails?  I have a 50lb Chow mix that will go from standing to laying by letting all her paws slide out.  Drives me nuts!

3. Are there any other types of flooring I should consider?

I've got a lot of things to do in here to make it my own and bring it into modern times, but it seems to have good bones, I'm excited!  Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• rv1.jpg
    rv1.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 182
  • rv2 bedroom.jpg
    rv2 bedroom.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 164
  • bella.jpg
    bella.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 105
no underlayment needed for vinyl tile.  get that old wet carpet and pad up soon, or you will have big trouble with your floor

I plan on getting it up within the next few days. We did the shop vac to get up most of the water and then a dehumidifier. Unfortunately they're calling for more rain today and I can't get it in the shop for at least 2 weeks.

looks like you will have some extensive floor repairs, waiting so long. even though you vacuumed the water, the old carpet and pad are holding a tremendous amount of moisture and the OSB that is your subfloor- well- time is not your friend.

Update!

I've cut back the carpet in the area and found some lovely stuff under there.  It looks like our shop vac, dehumidifier and fan helped quite a bit on the current water.  The subfloor doesn't seem to warped or bulging in the main area.  However, I did find evidence that the leak was there long before I purchased it, probably when it was sitting.  I'm getting the leak repaired in 2 weeks, then I can start on the inside repair and remodel. 

I have a few good helpers that work in the contractor field that say the subfloor repair shouldn't be a big deal.  I'm definitely hoping it will be so. 

Attachments

• IMG_00000183.jpg
    IMG_00000183.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_00000182.jpg
    IMG_00000182.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 115
To clean the mold use one cup hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water with dish detergent it will kill any spores that are left. Bleach is not recommended an more as it can cause further problems.

Thanks canuck, I'll try that when I get back from my current work trip. 

Ernie - Yeah, definitely not thrilled about that.  Luckily, it's not in a highly visible area, so I can patch it.  When I get it in the shop next week, I'm sure they'll take a look at how much damage it has.  I guess more for me to renovae, right?

Get a cheap tarp over it right away.

Leaks get worse, they never get better on their own.

Then when you go camping, you can use the tarp as a patio mat if you hanging outdoors a lot or your campsite is dirt or sand.

Back
Top Bottom