Sun Fading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poshpuppy@cableone

I own a bus conversion and having problems with the paint.
I had it hand washed last week and when I picked it up, there were bare spots where the paint had come off.

In the middle of my panic attack, the guy told me? he just washed it and the paint  washed off?. The water in his drainage ditch was actually white.

I filed a claim on this and the insurance company says it is fading due to climate conditions on the MS coast.

Has any one seen anything like this?

Sounds like it is time for a paint job....problem being the old paint has lost it's adhesion and is chalking and will need to come off before you put on new...but a good paint and body man can make a better evaluation in person.

If you want to avoid this type of problem in the future, pay the extra bucks and have an Imron paint job put on, what they use for boats and airplanes....stuff is tough as nails, but has to go on a properly prepped surface and is expensive.

Good Luck,

Jim

You don't mention the age of the bus, but if it's more tha 15-20 years old, its probably just worn out as noted above. This can also happen in sand storms in practically no time so? If you just bought the bus its possible the seller used whitewash or similar to perk it up, otherwise it's just time for a paint job.

On the subject of Imron, as noted its expensive and gives beautiful results. Whether it's worth the extra cost is your call, but I wouldn't.

Ernie

Mine may not have been as bad as yours but I did the Poly Glow treatment on mine and it helped a lot. Also a lot cheaper than a paint job.

poshpuppy@cableone said:
I own a bus conversion and having problems with the paint.
I had it hand washed last week and when I picked it up, there were bare spots where the paint had come off.
Has any one seen anything like this?
Yes.  Our bus had Imron but it was starting to peel with sun, and age. Great when it was new, but like all paints it does have a lifespan limit.  At the time it was applied, it was The paint to have.

We bit the bullet and took it in for a total full body strip down and fresh paint with two clear coats.  Incredibly beautiful now.

If you want to see some examples, or chat with the guys that painted our bus go to:  www.xtremepaint.net

Our 84 Bluebird still has the original Bantu job on it, and the only place that looks like it needs work is on the front
from the road chips. I don't know what paint they used, but I am turning it over to my son, so it will be stored inside next month awhile he makes changes to the interior to suit him and his wife so they can use it as his chase vehicle while he makes his coast to coast bicycle ride. He says that he will have the front either repainted or else put a bra over it.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom