Learning to fly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We're currently staying at the home of our youngest son and his family north of Columbus, OH. He's fished for many years, but has never fly fished, one of my passions. Today, while in his garage, I spotted a "fly fishing kit" comprised of rod, reel, line, leader and flies (in its original packaging) that he'd received as a Christmas present.

He muttered something about not knowing how to fly fish, so I proceeded to have him set up the gear, and showed him the basics on his front lawn. The next step will be practice at a lake, then move to a stream. Our DIL mentioned that fly fishing was on his bucket list.

Attachments

• flyfishing1.gif
    flyfishing1.gif
    241 KB · Views: 61
  • flyfishing2.gif
    flyfishing2.gif
    228.3 KB · Views: 59
Nothin to it once you get the hang of it....now roll casting on a narrow tree lined stream is always fun...but still manageable with a little practice! Teach him well he will be addicted for life.

Have fun!

Jim

I know, and I will  ;D

I've been fly fishing for trout for over 50 years. Hopefully I've learned a few tricks in that time  ;D

I have a fly rod and have never learned to work it. Mebbe I should wander on down to the delta and get some tips from the master. ;D

Dunno about a master, but come on down and we'll teach you the basics.

Years ago I decided to take up the sport of fly fishing and bought some cheap gear to start with. I am self taught and for the longest time I thought I had to really whip the rod to get that heavy fly line out and across the water. Couldn't cast out of my shadow! It was only after I learned that it was a matter of finesse and letting the rod do the work for you that I finally was able to cast with authority. I have not been in quite a long time now, but reading this post gives me the bug. BTW, finally upgraded a few years ago and purchased a nice rod and an Orvis reel with quality fly line. Much nicer!

Walter

... letting the rod do the work for you

The way I like to explain it ... think of the fly rod as a spring; You load up the spring with the backward cast, then let the energy stored in the spring help propel the line, leader and fly forward.

I too used inexpensive gear for years, and still do. A few years ago I splurged on a Sage rod and Batenkill reel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom