Choosing a generator, help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paws4It

Hi!  Can anyone tell me what size generator I need to run a little 16 ft TT Avenger?
Thanks. 

1000 watt is enpugh for simple battery chaging.  2000 watt will allow you to run a hair dryer or toaster.  Two 2000 watt plus a parallel kit will allow you to run an AC unit or any of the above. Of course costs go up too

It's the air conditioner I'm mainly interested in running.  It has the kind in the ceiling, but I forgot the size.  So you think a 2500 or 3000 would run that?
Thanks

Yeah, somewhere in that range should do it. Your a/c only needs about 1500 watts continuous, but the compressor start cycle briefly increases that to around 2400 peak. Plus you have to allow for at least a few other things, e.g. the battery charger is always running.

Yamaha makes a quiet inverter generator that they claim handles a single a/c. It is quite a bit lighter than the 3000 watt Honda.

Yes, the yahama generators are quieter and lighter than what we were looking at,  Jeff, and you are right, Gary, because the little fridge would need it too, I think.  It says it is a Dometic, if that tells you anything.  I don't know if that means it works off ele and propane or just propane.

I have a Honda 3000W inverter generator, bought it to run the AC in our 27' 5er, it couldn't handle the initial start up of the AC and would kick off line. I'm sure it would run the AC if it weren't for that.

Bob

Bob,
If a 3000 watt genset won't run your a/c, you either have an a/c issue, or there are other loads on it besides just the a/c, or the power cord to the generator outlet is too small for the load.  3000 watts = 25 amps @ 120v and that should be plenty for one a/c.

A weak start capacitor on the a/c (or maybe no "hard start" capacitor installed) is one possible reason why the initial amp draw may be excessive.

That would be a lot bigger RV than this little 16 foot.  Then if yours uses 3000, you think mine would work with less?

Also, what would the fridge be called if it ran on either propane or electric?    I'm calling today to try to get a parking brake put on the Jeep, so we are going after this one (TT).  I appreciate all your info.

My Honda 2000 has often run the AC on my class C.
I turn the fridge to gas, turn off the converter/charger and only run the AC. Say no to the microwave & AC at the same time.

The battery converter/charger can pull a huge amount of amps so only charge when the AC is off, the microwave is a real amp hog.

Cheers

Oh I love those Class C's.  Ok, that is a big help.  I guess to run the TT (with the microwave) we would need the 3000 then. 
Thank you!

Generator selection is a balance of budget, needs and location.

The most popular size of AC unit is 13.5K and it doesn't matter what rig its on, it still takes the same power to run it. It and a microwave at the same time is too much for a 3000w generator.

The least expensive way to run the AC is with a Champion 3500/4000 for around $300. They are long lasting, dependable, easy to start and powerful. The downside is that they weigh 100 lbs and sound like your lawn mower reved up. We use one out in the middle of no where with no neighbors to hear it. When we are in the trailer with the AC going, we can't hear it either.

Next come the inverter generators. These are more expensive, quieter and put out cleaner power.

A 3000w unit here will cost around $2000 new and weigh 150 lbs but they are quieter. The Honda EU3000 is the quietest both at idle and under load.

Next is pairing two of the smaller units together. Two 2000w units combined will provide the power needed. be much less weight individually and if you are not running the AC, you can run just one. With the big brands you will still be spending near $2000.

The prices in the last two options are for Honda and Yamaha inverter generators and admittedly they are the big names here.  The only other brand I would suggest right is Champion. There are other second tier manufactures and some have great luck with their products but if they don't, getting parts and support is iffy.

Champion does offer 2000w units that can be paired together that will save hundreds off of each of the units from the big names.
They recently released a 3100w unit that competes with Honda's 3000 Handi. ( a louder version of their EU3000) The Champion 3100 is the same size, weight and noise but instead of $2000 it runs $899.

So if you are camping around others, get the quietest you can afford. Up in the boonies like we are and you can run whatever you want. Personally I hate hearing a generator run and camp at high altitude to avoid the need of AC and use solar for recharging the batteries. This makes my cheap loud generator the quietest of all, the one that doesn't run.

Oh my gosh, thank you for all that, JiminDenver!  I will print that out and give it to hubby.

Now, I have a new BIG problem.  I've been on the phone for 2.5 hours trying to find someone to put a brake controller on my 2012 Liberty and it seems an impossible thing.  I have called the Jeep dealer to the Rv parts dept and no one can get the parts.  Any ideas?
Thanks

I would try calling a RV lot service dept. and having them install it. The process is different than on my Expeditions where the controller is just plugged into a port right next to the pre drilled hole for mounting the controller. Your jeep doesn't have this port and requires a second wiring harness that connects to various things in the truck. You will pay more going thru a RV lot service department but I bet they can come up with the parts. Otherwise you can go online and order a controller and harness and have it installed or do it yourself.

Great explanation Jim! Quieter is always worth the money in the long run. You will be happier, and finding parts if necessary is easy. The guy next to me at the beach today was running a 2000 watt Champion generator. He had it sitting on the back side of his rig, so it was on the front side of mine. It made so much noise that when his was running, I couldn't hear my 5500 watt Onan running!

I was pretty happy when it broke down and wouldn't start!

All good useful information.  Thank you all much!

Ok, after a few hours of calling to find out no one makes a brake controller for my Jeep, Uhaul is going to hard wire one in...  I was ready to trade the Jeep off!  Anyway, I have that appointment Friday, so we will go to pick up our little TT Saturday!  Yay! 

It looks like it will cost a small fortune to get a small, lite weight, quiet generator, but well worth it.  Thank you all again for all that too! 

Brake controllers can be one of the easiest things to install in a vehicle.  Start by looking at brake controllers, specifically the Prodigy.  Then look for the wiring harness specific to your vehicle.  They are usually about a 20 dollar item.  Buy both online if you have to.  When it arrives follow the simple instructions.  It should be  plug and play, with the only hard part trying to find a good location for the controller.

wb6kwt said:
I have a Honda 3000W inverter generator, bought it to run the AC in our 27' 5er, it couldn't handle the initial start up of the AC and would kick off line. I'm sure it would run the AC if it weren't for that.

Bob

Hey Bob,
I have no problem with my 3000 Honda running the AC on startup. Did you try taking it off Eco mode on the initial start? That way your gen is putting out full power and doesn't have to ramp up.. Mine will start even on eco so as Gary said you might have other problems in the AC unit..

It's not that no one makes a controller for your Jeep, it's that your Jeep doesn't have the nifty port to plug one into. The hard wiring is connecting the harness to the fuse, brake petal or on one case I saw instructions saying to drill a hole in the firewall to access the battery. Believe me, I would be having it installed too.

Once you chose a generator please remember to put yourself in the other guys shoes. Like I said I can fire up our 3500/4000, get in the trailer with the AC and TV running, crack a brew and life is good. We can't even hear the Champ running. The guy in the next site or even 100 yards away is going to have his day ruined if he wants to sit outside and listen to the birds, the wind in the trees or even the surf.
The quietest generator run at 50 db in eco mode with no load. (Honda EU3000) You may be able to stand next to it and talk but you wont be hearing the bird songs. Noise levels need to be down to around 35-40 db before near birds can be heard. Also as soon as a load is put on the generator, the RPMs will rise as will the noise level. Running a AC can really bring it up.

Back
Top Bottom