Choosing a generator, help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, good to know the db's to look for in picking a generator too.  And, yes, you are so right, it is that they have to hard wire the controller in.  I wonder if that will mess up the warrenty on the Jeep..  what do you think?
I am getting more excited as the day goes on.  I have the app. for the controller to go in Fri, and going to pick up the TT Saturday!  :)

These generators, the ones that run quiet and 3000, are about 2 grand.  Is that about the going price or do you know a better place to get a lower price?

And, yes, you are so right, it is that they have to hard wire the controller in.  I wonder if that will mess up the warrenty on the Jeep..  what do you think?

No - federal law says installation of an aftermarket part or accessory can only void a vehicle warranty if the manufacturer can prove the part was a direct cause of the problem.

Installing a defective, non-approved oil filter that contaminates the engine oil and makes the engine seize up may cause a warranty issue.

Installing an item that only connects to the tow vehicle battery and brake light switch, not so much of a problem.  Unless your brake light switch fails during the warranty period.  Then you may have to pay $20 or so for a replacement instead of having it covered under the warranty.

Ok, because I was rather upset with Jeep, that there is no controller to fit their set up.  I said what good is a tow package if you cannot get a brake controller to fit it.  I was happy UHaul knew what to do. 

The Honda EU3000 is the king of the hill when it comes to noise levels. I'd love to have one but both can't afford it or lift the 150 lbs plus it weighs.
The best I can suggest is start shopping in your area or online if you are so inclined. I watch craigslist and see them used but don't fall for the stupid low price without a phone number. those are scams to get your email. The cheapest I've seen with a number was $1100 and it was gone in minutes.

Yeah because on Amazon I find the Honda for 2600, and they are usually pretty good.

wb6kwt said:
I have a Honda 3000W inverter generator, bought it to run the AC in our 27' 5er, it couldn't handle the initial start up of the AC and would kick off line. I'm sure it would run the AC if it weren't for that.

Bob

Gary's reply is spot on.  I also use the Honda 3000is and it starts my AC with no problem.  Even in Eco mode.  I'm thinking also you have a weak start cap. or using the wrong length and/or gauge power cord to accommodate the initial start up of the AC.

Paws4It,
Choose wisely when picking the genset.  I know the Champion line is much cheaper.  But at last bout of research, that line did have service parts issues.  If you purchase a Champion and need parts for repairs, it was a long wait to get those parts to get the genny up and running again.  Something to keep in mind.  It seems service parts for Yamaha and Honda are much more available.  In other words, you get what you pay for.

The noise level is also a major issue.  If you do the CG style of camping, make this a serious consideration.  Your neighbors will love you if you do.   

JiminDenver said:
The Honda EU3000 is the king of the hill when it comes to noise levels. I'd love to have one but both can't afford it or lift the 150 lbs plus it weighs.

Actually a touch over 130 lbs dry.  I move mine twice a year.  I know.  I dread moving it in the Spring and early Winter.  But, I wouldn't have anything else to what I want it to do.  It does the job without fail.

One small tip that may help...
Just before the new models are to come out, get on the phone and check your local dealers.  I found mine at a $400 discount because it was a display model and had a total of about 30 minutes of run time on it.  Had the full warranty also.  Has worked like a Swiss watch (with proper maintenance) since purchase 5 years ago.  Again, you get what you pay for.  My 2 cents.

Mark

Could you point me to the research please. I haven't seen people complaining of that on a few different forums, in fact Champion seems to have a good reputation for customer service. The new 3100 is getting killer reviews and would be what I would replace the 3500/4000 with if needed.
It would be hard to argue with the dealership networks Honda and Yamaha have with the cars, motorcycles, atvs etc. They are definitely more convenient and that's part of what you pay for along with advertising and the brand name of course.

JiminDenver,

I did post that my info was "at last bout of research".  This was when I purchased my Honda 5 years ago.  In no way did I mean to imply that Champion hasn't made improvements over the past 5 years.  The newer models built to compete with the Yamaha's and Honda's has little field time to come up with any concrete information related to the reliability of said genny and the availability of service parts when needed.  I prefer tried and true with a track record.

That being said,  I don't start out doing the forum review thing when it comes to dropping a couple thousand dollars on a genny.  I start looking for a quality product overall, then narrow down from there.  Then I look for the one that will fit the application I am looking for.  And, we are not talking cars, motorcycles, atvs...But that's just me.  Seen any Champion generator commercials on TV lately?

Regardless, I will do my best to dig up the information I found 5 years ago.  I will then try to compare that info to the current information concerning Champion.  I mean no disrespect.  I only wish the best product the OP asked for and to try and fulfill your question.

The Champion does sound fine but I thought was too loud.  I will really have to dig to find the best one that we can afford. 

Meanwhile, everything is a go for us picking our little TT up this Saturday!  Man, I've been at this so long to find one we could pull that fit our needs.  It would have been easier to buy a TRUCK!  ha!  Our next one has to have a truck.

Thank you, Mark!  I'm grinning from ear to ear..  Have TT...  will travel!!!  :D

UPDATE...

JiminDenver,
I don't know what to tell you.  I can't find the notes I took during my genny research back in the Fall of 2008.  I'm guessing the circular file.  I spent a couple of hours this morning after work trying to find the info on the web and could only come up with the ones concerning noise.  Probably outdated and not worth mentioning now.  Way back when, I researched for a couple of weeks and the info I had compiled helped me to decide on my Honda.  I have not been disappointed with my purchase.   

I still believe in getting what you pay for.  But in this case, I just checked my deep freezer to see if there is any crow left to throw in the Crock Pot.  It's not bad with a little chilie on it!  ;)

Other than the noise issue, I have nothing to back up my claim.  I bow to you.

Mark, don't bow to anyone.  You did good.  I appreciate your experience.  I want a Honda, and hope we can get one.  I was thinking maybe a refurbished one, but hadn't had any luck finding one so far, this morning.  Wish me luck.  :)

Mark

No problem, a lot has changed in 5 years. Champion didn't even make a inverter generator back then and yes the 3500/4000 is loud.  It is also incredibly dependable, starts on the first pull in all weather and long lasting too. Should the new 3100 prove to do as well it may be a game changer.

Honda is definitely at the fore front and I'm hoping the competition pushes them even farther along. The Handi was a step in the wrong direction I think but they have to do what they feel is needed.

Paws, you are not making a bad choice, quieter is always better. Good luck on finding a good deal.

I've done many posts over the past few years on our setup, searching on Boliy will bring our experiences, it's still going strong, runs 15K aircon and comes in at 74Ibs.  I change the oil frequently, this I think is important with running generators for extended periods while on the dry.

Thanks Jim!  I've been checking ebay and craigslist...  I hadn't turned anything up so far. 

What's the noise DB's on your's jje?

Great point, Jim!  Regardless of brand of the genny, fixed or portable, I believe maintenance is key to getting the most life and accurate output out of it.  I also do regular PM work on mine according to the manufacturer literature.  I also have the voltage and amperage output checked every other year or so by a factory authorized professional.  Just in case a tweak is needed or an unforeseen problem I didn't notice is to be found.  Cheap insurance.

I think, too, keeping it from walking off will be a problem.  We are dealing with a tiny TT, and pulling it with a Liberty, so there is no bed of a truck to put it in.  Now someone suggested to me buying two 2000 Honda's would be cheaper than one 3000, and I seen that is true.  They would be lighter and give ample power, but still we are dealing with where to put them and keep them from walking off. 
Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom