to carry a pistol or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While at the big RV Show in Quartzsite, Ariz. this past Jan. we noticed a number of booths that were promoting Ariz. Concealed Weapons Permit.  You take the class (I believe it was four hours) and get the Ariz. permit and it's recognized in 26 states without written agreement and an additional eight states with written agreement.

http://www.azdps.gov/services/concealed_weapons/reciprocity/

The above comments are all valid. I especially agree with Gary's comments.

I too have never been called upon to use my firearm that I always carry, while on an RV trip, the same as at home. I believe that there is no more risk while traveling with an RV than at home. However, there is probably about the same risk. It is a question for each individual to decide for themself. The best protection of all is to be aware of surroundings, potential threat, and ability to avoid obvious risk situations when possible.

Yes, I always carried, armed, openly and udercover, on duty as an Underheriff, Police Detective, and Chief of Police, and concealed off duty also. In fact, with every police agency where I was an officer, the department policy required every officer to carry off duty the same as on duty, for the reason that police only carry a weapon for self defense, the same as anyone else. Police do not carry arms to protect you. I still carry every day, at home area and also traveling anywhere. Only three times in my life have I ever had to use my concealed weapon for protection while not on duty. Once, before I was an LEO, in 1949, once before I was an LEO in 1957 and once off duty while I was Chief of Police in 1992. Two of these incidents were away from home on trips and one in my home area. In none of those three instances was any shot fired. The fact that I was armed and prepared to fire prevented the attack from continuing. All were potential lethal situations.

It is the responsibilty of everyone to protect themself. It is not the responsibility of police, or anyone else to protect you. In fact, there have been Supreme Court Decisions stating that police have no responsibility to protect anyone in the public. How, and if, you decide to provide personal protection, if any, for yourself and your family, is up to you, as it is for each of us.

I do not care to make a decision on this subject for anyone. My experience in police work over the years, involving over 1,000 criminal cases, has convinced me that advance preparation for personal defense is a good decision. I also absolutely know, from my experience, that the hundreds of victims of violent crimes that I was involved with, suffered, numbers needlessly died,  when they were not prepared to defend themselves. I also know that many more were able to prevent the completion of a potential violent crime for the reason that they were prepared in advance, even though none had anticipated that they would become a potential victim.

During my years in Law Enforcement, I often was asked about this subject by numerous citizens, often after news of a criminal action became noted in our area. My response to those contacts were the same as I have made here. I also stated, as I do here, when seconds count the police are at best minutes away.

Rancher Will said:
. I also stated, as I do here, when seconds count the police are at best minutes away.

Average response to a 911 call is 11 minutes.

All have their own views on this subject that's for sure.  All I would input is to be aware of the laws prior to a trip for your intended route.  I personally would not go anywhere that is not covered by one of my ccw permits.

One thing that concerns me about the arming of America.... Now I am fairly sure, based on things that have happened in the past. that if I had to pull the trigger, I could. .  I won't go into the reasons behind that statement but the fact is most HONEST people can not.  They will hesitate, and in that time the criminal will get the gun and turn it around.. Being a criminal he has no problem firing off a round or however many it holds.

So unless you have military or Police expierence, or some seriously unusual personality traits... A gun might not be your best choice.

Fact. IF you are a gun owner.  The gun most likely to kill you... Is  your own.

John From Detroit said:

During my career I went to many gunshot victims. I never went to one killed by his own gun that didn't do it himself. If we take suicide out of the mix, how many deaths are guns taken away from the victim and then used on them. And let's compare that number in an even handed honest way to say, drive by shootings, victims during robbery, and gang violence.

Fact. If you are going to commit suicide, you'll find a way, it's not the guns fault.

Ken

John From Detroit said:
So unless you have military or Police expierence, or some seriously unusual personality traits... A gun might not be your best choice.

Explain that to this lady, John . . .  :)

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/11/5489575/grandma-72-shoots-at-intruder.html

Nothing raises everyone's dander like the subject of firearms.  Well, maybe not NOTHING...but few things.    :p

FWIW....I carry a Springfield 1911A .45, with which I can lay down a 3" pattern at 50' on a consistent basis.  The only way someone else will kill me with it is if they have more than 8 friends with them, and then they will be beating me to death with it because it will be empty and the rest of their friends will be en route to the morgue.

I'm a Texan.  Owning and carrying a firearm is a birth right, and one we dont' take lightly.  When I'm pulling my TT, it's in a holster under the dash  of the truck (in plain sight).  Even going through the B.P. checkpoints in NM, I never get questioned.  When I'm in my TT, it's wherever I feel like putting it.  When I'm hiking, it's strapped to my hip.

To the OP....if you have to ask if you should carry, the answer is no....you should not.  It's obvious you don't feel comfortable being armed, and it's not for everybody.  For some of us, asking permission to exercise one of our constitutional rights borders on absurdity.

Bob Buchanan said:
Explain that to this lady, John . . .  :)

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/11/5489575/grandma-72-shoots-at-intruder.html
I applaud the lady for her tenacity. All I have to say is, "This story would read quite differently had one of those loose rounds struck one of her neighbors."

How many times have we heard stories of Security officers in courtrooms and indeed Police Officers that have had their weapons taken away and used on the officers and/or other victims......... it happens in the home more often than one might think.

The issue here, is carrying a weapon in a M/H...... I simply think it has more down side than upside.

"This story would read quite differently had one of those loose rounds struck one of her neighbors."

yes,  and it would also be just another short news story if that meth freak repeat felon had gotten into the house and had beaten another unarmed 72 year old lady to death.

I think the majority of criminals count on old people not putting up much of a fight,....... gramma did the right thing, although she could use some target practice.  dead criminals are much cheaper to process through the system.

When they finally outlaw guns,  criminals will have nothing to fear.

hopefully the police will get there before all the evidence goes cold.

I agree with Frizlefrak....those of us that do carry have no need to question if we should or not. Most have been brought up around firearms and are very, very comfortable with them. I also agree if you are concerned about your safety, a shotgun in the RV is a much better option for personal protection than a handgun.
The folks I know that carry enjoy shooting their firearms and are very proficient with them. As far as actually being able to shoot if need be, I'm quite certain most are very prepared to do just that.

This subject will be debated till eternity. I keep loaded  guns in my residence and will use them if need be. Somebody enters my home while I'm there, they won't walk away. I feel the same way while in my MH. My buddy and I have always packed while traveling, legal or not. We always figured we'd pay the consequences after the fact, but we'd be alive to do so. Just too many thugs out there anymore. I'll do what ever it takes to keep my family safe. One never knows in their travels. We went to visit some friends last summer and were going to make reservations at a camp ground several miles from their house. When we told them about where we were planning on staying, they told us, no, that's not a very good part of town to be staying in. They wouldn't be comfortable traveling through that neighbor hood to visit us. They got permission for us to stay in their drive way for 3 days. I used to carry when I worked a service truck, because I never knew what part of town I'd be called out to. I was working on a parole officers furnace one day and we got to talking. He told me to get rid of my 9mm and go for a 40 or a 45, so I did. 

If Reginald Denny had been carrying in 1992 during the LA riots, and had been properly trained with his weapon, he might not have brain damage today.  Instead, there would have been six dead maggots. 

As Koodog stated....for some of us, carrying a firearm on a road trip is about as natural as checking the tires and fluids on the vehicle.  It's something that comes completely naturally.  I see a firearm like a seat belt....the odds of me ever needing either are miniscule....but both are a no brainer.  In TX, AZ, and NM, you just pretty much assume most people are carrying.  No wonder we're so friendly.  :)

And yes, I realize that some states (in direct violation of the 2nd amendment) don't concur with my way of thinking.  So be it.  I will deal with the consequences should it ever become an issue.  But the only way they will know I even have it is if I have to use it....and at that point, breaking any carrying "laws" will be the least of my concerns.

The following below was written by yours truly.  Some may not agree.  I fully respect that. 

Recently, a young colleague at work informed me he was writing a paper for college on the evils of gun control. He asked for input from me. I submitted to him the following.

OK...picture this....

Wife and I are travelling....middle of nowhere Texas at night. The car breaks down. No cell service. Nobody for miles. Finally, a car pulls up with 4 nasty looking guys and orders us out of the car. You know what's about to happen.
I'm almost 50 years old. They're half my age and twice my size. There are 4 of them and 1 of me. I can't fight 4 of them, even if I was still in my prime, which I'm long past.

Scenario 1: My wife, my soulmate and the love of my life, is repeatedly gang raped, beaten, and tortured while I'm forced to watch. Mercifully, about three hours later, they finally kill her. I'm much luckier....they just beat me to death. It's (in a relative sense) much easier than what she got....it only takes me an hour to die. They vanish, and are never caught.

Scenario 2: When the first goblin orders us out of the car, I chamber a round in my Springfield 1911A .45, click off the thumb safety, and pump a 230 grain round into the left ventricle of his heart....all in under 2 seconds....terminating his life immediately. 2 of his friends flee at once.....the other persists....only to see as his last act on this earth, the passenger window crystalize, as round number 2 severs his spinal column just below the C2, terminating all brain activity forever more. As the last two are attempting to speed away, rounds 3, 4, and 5 puncture the fuel tank and 2 right side tires, sending the car careening out of control. I pursue them, and terminate their miserable existence just as a precautionary measure, in case they have any aspirations of coming back with reinforcements.

My wife and I get the privilege of growing old together.

Take it for what it's worth.  Likely to happen?  No.  Possible?  Absolutely.  I can assure you....scenario #1 will NOT happen on my watch.

I carry simply because it makes me feel better, you have to do what helps you to sleep at night. My first impression is you are asking because you don't feel quite comfortable with carrying away from your home. If that's true and you decide to carry then take the appropriate classes until you do feel comfortable and heed the legal specifics as best you can. I will always be willing to work out the legalities after the crime as compared to not being around because I was  compliant. Best of luck with your decision.

Bob you missed, it seems, the third qualifier.  Some folks have the required personality to do what has to be done.  The very best example I can give is fictional.  I prefer Fictional for two reasons.. One being that no real person is named and thus no liability is incurred by my in posting.

The scene in Raiders of the Lost Arc when the swordsman is challanging Indiana Jones, and Indy looks like "Not this crap again" and pulls his gun and shoots the dude.

I am told that was NOT in the script but it was so good the directors kept it in the film.

Still.. That is exactly the attitude one needs. Not this (*&^$% Again. and doing what needs to be done.

Some can do it, Many can not.

so if you're allowed to have a gun in your home, and you full time in a motorhome....what's the law?

TonyDtorch said:
"This story would read quite differently had one of those loose rounds struck one of her neighbors."

yes,  and it would also be just another short news story if that meth freak repeat felon had gotten into the house and had beaten another unarmed 72 year old lady to death.

I think the majority of criminals count on old people not putting up much of a fight,....... gramma did the right thing, although she could use some target practice.  dead criminals are much cheaper to process through the system.

When they finally outlaw guns,  criminals will have nothing to fear.

hopefully the police will get there before all the evidence goes cold.

Absolutely, in fact dead criminals can't sue you.

As to "come to Canada".  True you may not have gun violence, but Canada still has rape, robbery, and murder.  Not with guns true, but they get away with it because the criminals know their victims most likely cannot protect themselves. 

BLAKDUKE said:
Absolutely, in fact dead criminals can't sue you.

Not exactly true.
Shooting someone can indeed be a very costly proposition regardless of the circumstances. Not advocating one way or the other. Just something to consider in your choices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom