What's this wire for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

archeantus

Hello,

New to the forums, and to RVing, and I have a question some you experts can probably answer:

I recently purchased a diesel pusher and want to tow my car four down.  I purchased a blue ox tow bar and base plate for my car.  The base plate has these little add-on plates with long 18 gauge solid wires extending off of them for about 18 inches.  What in the heck are these wires for?  There is no mention of them in the documentation.

Thanks!

-Todd Richmond
1999 Fleetwood Discovery 36T

I also have a blue ox base plate for my toad. Mine came with nuts with the solid wire on them. They are on there to go down inside the frame of the car during installation. they may be some kind of spacers. go back and read all instructions again and you may find it.. good luck..

18 gauge? That's not even remotely enough to be a physical part of the connection, so the wire must be just a "keeper" so that the plates stay with the base. But what the extra plates are for, I cannot guess.

What car is this for? Base plates often vary tremendously depending on year,make and model of vehicle to be towed?

A call to the Blue Ox Customer Care Team at 800-228-9289 is probably your best next step.

I also have a Blue OX baseplate.  I watched the installation and the plates with the wires attached are used to secure the bolts to the inside of the frame.  You cannot get your hand inside the frame to start the plates, (which act as bolts inside the frame).  The wires are simply used to position the plates while you start the bolts turning.  Once you have started the bolts the plates act as an inside nut.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom