Best Base Plate for Grand Cherokee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winnie32v

I am in the process of buying a 2011 or 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I will have to install a new Base Plate so I can tow 4 down behind my MH.
I see that these brands are available:
Blue Ox, Demco, Roadmaster.

Can anyone recommend (from experience, if possible) which brand would be the best? I will be installing myself and would like the most secure set-up.
I know the Blue Ox has a removable end that will work with the old Reese hitch that I have.

ALSO, is there an easy way to hook up the rear tow lights to the existing tail light assy? I have a set of magnetic mounts but would prefer a better way.
Advise, Please.

Anyway, please respond with all and any comments. I only want to do this ONCE and be done with it.

Thanks for your time to advise me.
Paul

Paul,

I know people who use all three systems and they perform well. I am partial to Roadmaster, personally. We used an LED kit for our lights and the RV tech had them run in an hour.

My only question is are you sure you want to pull 4500#'s with your rig? that looks a little heavy on the face of it for a gasser. When I had a 5000# limit on my first DP, it was the reason I did not pull my 4Runner. Not an indictment, just a question.

Kim

I used to pull 4,000 (empty) with my Gasser and .. It was not empty.

I will make one recommenbdation.. FREQUENTLY, and I mean FREQUENTLY inspect the hitch receiver where it connects to the cross member and the brackets where the cross members connect to the frame rail... That's where mine broke.

EPICALLY if you use a drop hitch adapter.

IF you have tow bars, already (As I do) then the matching base plate is your only choice.

Check Etrailer.com. I got my entire set up there and they have installation videos on everything. I installed everything including lights. Took about 3 hours.

I have been told that most Class A Winne's require a drop-down on the receiver to tow. That was the case with mine. You may want to measure now so you are prepared when you go to hook-up the toad.

Back
Top Bottom