FMCA Family Reunion - Gillette WY June 19 thru June 22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forget the Ark, I'm still looking for that 'lowest interior room' the weather radio told me to go to !

I don't think we'll be doing happy hour today.  We went over to the Ladies Tea entertainment.  Just as Jerry was dropping me off the heavens let loose and we heard a warning to seek shelter.  So we both went inside for a while.  Finally decided when it let up a bit that we were going back to the motorhome.  We got soaked going the 100 feet or so to the car and then from the car to the motorhome, so now we're both in dry clothes and waiting out the storm.  Maybe we'll hibernate for a while.  I've seen a couple of motorhomes come into our lot and can't help if they decided to leave and changed their minds after getting on the road.

Wendy - and you can't hide under the bed either!

Addendum - we're under tornado watch up 6:00 p.m.

ArdraF

I'm over here in Lake Lot 5.  Most of the rigs have left.  We had 51 mph wind gusts and marble sized hail, loud noise, wind, rain and rock and roll for about  20 minutes.  We pulled in the slide, brought down the dish, took photos out the  window and when it subsided I mopped the bathroom floor as it was soaked when wind blew rain into the vent. 
Then I made hot chocolate.  This is a rally I will never forget.  It was terrible weather for Happy Hour  get togethers .

BUT we did get to see most of the new  motorhomes, all of the vendors, attend many informative seminars, make  purchases, and see lots of RVForum friends if only for brief moments.  We can't decide if we are going to  entertainment  tonight or not.  We still  have 2 1/2 hours for it to clear.  I hope to win the door prize for a Fantasy vacation!  Oh did I mention it is 43 degrees?  What happened to summer?

Storms should pass to the east. Leave the slide in and go to the entertainment. The empty spaces in our asphalt lot filled up while we were at dinner at Applebee's - even the locals were talking about the storm. One guy said 'that's as close as you get to a tornado without being in one.'

Safe travels to the Framily. If we don't see you before you leave, we'll see you again down the road.

Wendy

I went to the evening entertainment (Marty Stuart) and it was very good.  It's too bad they had to bring it inside because it was a flat floor (instead of stadium seating) so we couldn't see the performers except on one of the two screens.  He started with a good laugh by commenting that it was good to be among other crazy people who travel around the country in a bus.  He and his backup guys were all good musicians and harmonized pretty well.

Earlier today we watched people leaving our lot and then I saw several return.  This was during the tornado watch this afternoon - guess they decided traveling was a little too hazardous.  Our lot still looks reasonably good, unlike the quagmire in a few places.  We're pleased that we're close to the gate.  But one guy's car in the first row is surrounded by water so I'm sure he's hoping the water will soak in before he's ready to leave tomorrow.

Sorry we didn't get to have another happy hour and a chance to say our farewells to friends, both old and new.  See you down the road!

ArdraF

I've captured a few photos of our now waterfront property here at the  50th Anniversary of FMCA Convention.

Photo 1  shows the mud caused by rains of past 2 days before the severe thunderstorm with 51 mph winds.
Photo 2 The grassy road in front of us  prior to the downpour storm.
Photo 3 Lake Lot  5 after the storm dumped .67 for a total of 1.58 inches of rain.
Photo 4 Lake Lot 5 after all the coaches in front of us left today.
Photo 5 Hail left on ground 2 hours after storm on day 2 of summer. 

Attachments

• IMG_5116.JPG
    IMG_5116.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5118.JPG
    IMG_5118.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5139.JPG
    IMG_5139.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5143.JPG
    IMG_5143.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5142.JPG
    IMG_5142.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 36
Several RVForum Framily members  happened into the  building at the same time and were able to  sit together for the Marty Stuart concert.  It was so enjoyable even if we were far away from the performers.  We learned it is Randy and Debbie's 38th  wedding anniversary and Kerry noted they spent it in the mud!  Happy Anniversary to them!
We were so happy to see Beth and Kerry  back on the road and she is healing up nicely from back surgery.  She even showed us her scar!  Mike and Wendy were kind enough to let us park in front of their rig as we drove over tonight  to avoid a muddy walk. 

A final photo shows redneck socks, better known as " walmart  socks" worn  to the concert by an FMCA member who needed to keep his feet dry on his way over to the show.

Attachments

• IMG_5148.JPG
    IMG_5148.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5149.JPG
    IMG_5149.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5150.JPG
    IMG_5150.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5151.JPG
    IMG_5151.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 42
This was probably the most exciting rally we've ever been to. It's certainly one we'll remember. Hope the weather for the SKP rally in 4 days is better.

Safe travels everyone.

Wendy

In spite of the rain, wind and hail, I know that a good time was had by all. Good bye, framily, until we meet again.

Randy

Today the fun just kept going on today as we watched rigs in the lake leave.  We saw 4 rigs being pulled out with tow trucks.  Keep your Coach Net number handy as they responded quickly.  IndividualF M C A members had to pay for the tow. Neither Camplex nor FMCA covered the tow.  There were some unhappy campers in our section.

We had a terrific rally.  We got out at 11am and are on the road again. Life is so good.

After the big storm, we were without wifi until tonight when we arrived at Yellowstone View Inn & RV Park. The view here, about 14 miles west of Cody, are breathtaking!! We were in Yellowstone 4 years ago, but it was in the fall. The early summer is gorgeous!!

Thanks to all of the forum members who were so nice to Becky & I while we were in Gillette. We both remarked that the highlight there was meeting such nice people, Jerry & Ardra, Terry & Betty, Mike & Wendy. I know there were others, but I'm terrible remembering names, so I apologize. All of you made us feel welcome.

We're off on the rest of our trip. We hope to see you all again down the road.

Stan & Becky

Stan, we were delighted to meet you and Becky.  It's always fun to be able to put names and faces together after talking back and forth on the RV Forum.  Isn't it a great way to expand your horizons.  You have friends you never knew you had!  ::)

ArdraF

It was fun meeting you and putting live faces to names. Oh, and learning what your user name really is :)  Perhaps you can join us in Quartzsite in January ? 

BTW, the weather in Gillette today was delightful.

Wendy

BTW, the weather in Gillette today was delightful.

No joke!  We had one view driving west on I-90 of the mountain range toward Yellowstone, Absaroka I think.  It was absolutely gorgeous!  Also, about 12:30 a.m. I saw the big moon they talked about on TV.  Clear as a bell and not a cloud in the sky.  The weather in these parts sure changes fast!

Safe travels, All!

Ardra,

We had the same view...of the Big Horn Mountains, near Buffalo, when we stopped for lunch at a pull off. I took a picture out the window.

Stan

Attachments

• Big Horn Mountains 6-23-13 on I-90 near Buffalo.jpg
    Big Horn Mountains 6-23-13 on I-90 near Buffalo.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 23
Yep, that's the one!  Wasn't it a beautiful sight!

ArdraF

Sorry we missed happy hours to meet you all.  The weather would not cooperate and we were on the opposite corner of Cam-Plex from the happy hours.  However, if you were at the show early enough Saturday evening you saw me (Sharon didn't walk up front with me).  We won the beginners geocache first prize!!!  Hope everyone had safe travels today.  We got out before 8:00 this morning and arrived home in Belgrade by mid afternoon.  The weather was gorgeous today and the views on the way west and north were wonderful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom