Noise from others when full-timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chelonian

Hi, this is a follow-up to a previous question about whether full time RV'ing is right for us, motivated by some helpful points others had made about it in that question... 

I'd like to get a little poll here about your experiences with noise from other people while living (or staying) in your RVs.  As my other post described, I am a major noise-o-phobe and this is a real make or break issue for me.

By noise, I mean any sounds that other people make that are loud enough to hear, and go beyond my sense of a reasonable level (which is set to a low tolerance).  So, for examples:
  • Car, truck, bus, motorcycle, boat, or other RV engines/exhaust noise
  • Stereos in vehicles ("boom cars"), or in houses/RVs
  • Loud talking nearby
  • Children playing/babies crying
  • Lawn care noises (motorized lawn mowers, edgers, leaf blowers, trimmers, etc.)
  • Car alarms
  • Construction equipment
  • Outdoor events, concerts; people playing musical instruments (note to retired rock and roll guy:  yes, it's A-OK if you are attending the concert!  Just don't want to hear it in my house, though the Springsteen bleeding out of Fenway in '04, OK that was fine)
  • Trains
  • Etc.
Ideally, I want not a bit of this.  I want wind, birds, and rain.  More realistically, I can handle a little bit of it--maybe 1-2 hrs of moderate post 10am lawn care noise/week, occasional maintenance needs, etc.  But I can't deal with loud stuff any more.

So, what have your experiences been in terms of noise and RVs, whether in RV parks, or other places that you have lived in your RV, either boondocking or not?  On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being a Manowar concert (loud!) and 10 being an anechoic chamber (silent!), what have your experiences been like?

If there is a way I could tighten this question to be more well-targeted, let me know.  I am pretty clueless about all things RV at this point.  Thanks!  :D

just looking at your list I would say that if you can SEE people from your RV then you WILL hear a lot of those things. unless you have a white noise generator in the rig. they have less then 3 inches of sound barrier in the walls and most, (unless you get the 4 season's rig) have single pane windows this lets a lot of sound in and out.
have you thought of ear plugs??  :eek:

RVing is noisy business...IMO. Campsites are usually pretty close together. RV Parks usually have pretty close knit spaces to maximize their profit potential. I've never been camping where I did not hear my neighbors. The good news is that for the most part folks are noise conscience...but there are many, many exceptions. I've been on nightmare camping trips boon docking at Lake Mead when at midnight a clown on a boat cranked up The Doors and let it rip until 6:00 AM.

We were on a camping trip last year and listened to our neighbors listen to their eclectic brand of music all evening. Most folks in a RV are good people who abide by the Code. Included in the Code is a duty to be cognizant of other folks.

Of course this is just my opinion...

Scott-0168 said:
Really, have you ever been RVing before?

Scott  :)

Nope!  I know essentially nothing other than what I've been able to cobble together through the internet, which might as well be nothing.  I admit total ignorance, but am happy to learn.

I think I saw your other post about noise but I never replied. We have been using an rv for a few years and really like it. One of the drawbacks though is you hear more noise from outside than you can imagine. We still comment from time to time about how it seems like you can hear nearly everything that is outside, traffic, wind, people, dogs and especially rain.

My wife is a sound sleeper but she recently bought earplugs for sleeping in the rv.

You seriously need to rent one before buying.

Ditto on boondocking in the remotest spot possible. Unless the sound of your own generator is on that list of noises. Although I have been bothered by noisy birds while boondocking. Stay out of campgrounds. I usually don't get irritated by campground noise unless I can hear noise or talking over the sound of my TV. Or if someone is standing close to my RV talking when I'm trying to sleep. Or if someone fires up their diesel engine at 6 am and runs it for 15 minutes. And there's always going to be some grounds maintenance noise going on. And people getting up and departing.

Perhaps the suggestion of renting an RV and trying this out might be a good idea?

Wendy

With all due respect, and I, too, appreciate lower sound levels, your expectations are probably totally unrealistic in a campground. Boondocking, you'll probably have a better chance, especially, if, as noted, you are quite remote.

For balance, I will offer that most good parks have quiet time, and a good park staff will control the big offenders. But expecting a campground full of diesel engines, kids, and dogs to be quiet  for any length of time is not the way it happens. And God forbid, you are in a campground with grass and the resultant constant maintenance. I will also offer that there are times and places where a lightly filled campground is a joy and you will get a lot of what you are looking for, but probably never all.

The ability to adapt and tolerate things that are out of your control is a pretty big part of the RV mentality and will be crucial to your enjoyment. This may not be the life for you if the noise is a deal breaker.

Wendy said:
Ditto on boondocking in the remotest spot possible. Unless the sound of your own generator is on that list of noises. Although I have been bothered by noisy birds while boondocking. Stay out of campgrounds. I usually don't get irritated by campground noise unless I can hear noise or talking over the sound of my TV. Or if someone is standing close to my RV talking when I'm trying to sleep. Or if someone fires up their diesel engine at 6 am and runs it for 15 minutes. And there's always going to be some grounds maintenance noise going on. And people getting up and departing.

Wendy

Me too.  Woodpeckers emit a very shrill.....well, shreek for lack of a better word.  Though I do prefer that over 100 decibels of hip hop.

One of the tricks we use is that we show up on Monday, and leave on Friday at check out time.  That is when the campgrounds are least populated.

Every now and then we crash at Walmart......seems the road sweeper guys get a kick out of doing about 25 intentional drive-bys at about 4am. Other than that We're pretty noise tolerant. One of the beauties of RVing is if you don't like something you can just drive away. Come to think of it, driving a Class C, there is a lot of road noise but it's just part of the game.

I can understand your desire to avoid noise pollution.

I prefer the sound of nature over screaming idiots or excessive lawn care.

So...  I bought a small 28 foot Class C.  That enables me to travel to many of the more remote beautiful parks, typically owned by Federal, State or County etc. Many of these parks are old, built for smaller camping rigs but on really nice large lots. These types of parks often have indigenous minimal landscaping. That often eliminates ridiculous lawn care noises.  No lawn, no lawn mowers, HOORAY in my book. I would rather go down a leaf strewn dirt path than to march down a paved sidewalk with a leaf blower making a ruckus to keep it tidy.

I like the babbling brooks, the tweeting birds, the gentle ocean surf. I try my best to avoid parks near interstates as very often they are busy, crowded, noisy and have tiny lots. By going out into the countryside, I've come across some remarkable parks where I can sit outside sipping my coffee while the birds flirt, the bees buzz but all is pretty quiet otherwise.

Many gorgeous parks are very serene weekdays with a livelier crowd on the weekends. Some parks I don't mind the people noise because watching the crazy parade go by is rather entertaining. At one park I stayed at, it was oh so quiet and serene all week, our closest neighbors were 12-15 lots away on either side.  I think everyone was whispering because I never heard any people noise. Then the weekend filled up every open spot for a day and a half. I watched some teen girls use their skateboards to traverse from their tent to the restrooms and back several times a day. Then somebody's tent tumbled away with strong winds. Two gallant males, also with skateboards, rescued the tent, then used it as a big sail to go flying past on the park road looking for the tent owner. The sight was hilarious!

Meanwhile folks old and young pedaled around on bicycles, tricycles and even a unicycle.  Fishermen quietly sat by the waters waiting for marine life to appear. Others pushed off in their runabout boats, taking their noise with them.

One group was  constantly cooking the most aromatic outdoor meals under the shade of an ancient oak.

It was fun to watch the wild assortment of fancy Class A's, mixed in with trailers big and small, popups, popouts and pup tents. One family arrived in a big rental truck, unloaded a huge pile of survival gear, then hid the truck in overflow  parking.

Some places like Georgia State Parks, have nice big lots you can not reserve. You reserve a "spot" but not a specific site number. When you arrive, you drive around the park and pick your place to be. You can easily choose a spot far away from everybody else unless it's a holiday weekend and they are sold out or close to it.

Another choice is to check out Volunteer.gov  There are volunteer workamping opportunities that are not in campgrounds, some are remote.  For three summers, I volunteered as a park host in a non-campground lake park. It was rarely used and often very quiet. There was no noise from the other campers because there was no campground. The boaters launched their boats and left. The picnickers were at the other end of the park, most just communing with nature and the BBQ grills.

You also might find that your own living noises inadvertently drown out other noises. The hum of an air conditioner can mask a lot as can playing your own preferred music. 

I like our 55+ park at Happy Trails. Most of the parties start around 4:00PM and are over by 7:00.

We haven't found it to be all that noisy and I also dislike loud noise.  Once in a while, usually on a holiday weekend, there are some large groups that party but they're not usually too bad.  I can't recall but a few instances where it was annoying.  It depends a lot on whether you like being outside all the time or not.  I dislike bugs (actually have allergic reactions to some) so I don't really like to sit outside a lot.  I'd just as soon be in the motorhome with the windows open if I want to hear the birds or the babbling brook.

I will say that having dual-pane windows helps immensely.  We've had them in the last couple motorhomes and they help with both noise and heat/cold.  If you seriously want to avoid noise, check the location of the campground before signing up.  We've often joked that campgrounds tend to be between a railroad track, a freeway, or an airport.  But, they aren't that noisy unless you're right next to a freeway.  We were near an airport (small town) at the last campground and I think I may have heard two airplanes in four days and they were far enough away that it was just "light" background noise.

The others who suggested renting an RV to see if you can handle the noise have good advice.  But try a variety of campgrounds and avoid the ones close to big cities that tend to attract "city folk" who may be more immune to noise.  There's only one way you'll know for sure and that's to try it.

ArdraF

Noise is something you hear by listening. Get involved in anything that will get you mind off the noise. Having worked around airports for years, I don't hear the airplanes. Teaching I only heard the distress in a voice not the normal clamor. Train your brain.

It's alway very quiet in parks from 10 to 7. I can tune noise out but I would submit by your list that full time RV living is not for you. You can always rent and give it a go to be sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom