Loaded with questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brett1111

We have many questions right now that we am faced with. For the experienced RVers who have gone through and done this as a full-timer, we would like to know if we am out of my mind, or if what we want to do is logical and possible.

First off, we have a 3-1/2 year old daughter. My fiance and I are considering RVing full-time in the next 2-3 years. We received a free travel trailer, but junked it due to its condition. But now are seriously considering this lifestyle. As a whole, we believe, this would be great for all of us to see the country, explore, and meet many people from all over. So here goes the list:

In your travels, have you seen folks out there RVing, full-time, with their little ones? We feel home schooling would be best for our daughter, regardless.

How do the children typically handle this type of situation where they are not planted in one location all the time with the same faces?

How do families like this tolerate these types of living situations? We all have good relationships with each other right now, but this will be much closer, and different.

How do other family members react when they are close to your child (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins...) and you decide on something like this? Is it easy to overcome?

Does anyone ever get homesick, or is this something we will absolutely love? We all love to travel, see new things, and are definitely outdoors people.

This question is something we have been deeply researching, but am going to ask anyways for more feedback. How do you make money on the road? We have read about people selling things, blogging, working seasonal jobs, or at campgrounds... This is more of a personal question I suppose for all the non-retirees. What is it that you do to bring in income? If you don't mind telling.

I currently own a few firearms. How are these handled while traveling over the road like this? Is it possible to possess them while traveling, as long as you land in a state where you can legally possess them?

We have read that TX, FL, and SD are the best places to register an RV. Can we do this before hitting the road? we reside in the horrible state of Taxachusetts.

I suppose I will cap these questions there for now. But before we get too involved, we need to get some of these questions ironed out so we can see if this is something possible. Like I said, we have 2-3 years to make this decision. And as always, thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these questions. We do appreciate!

Do explore the forum library section on Fulltiming.  There are articles that can help you with some of your questions.  Also, check this message board for lots of previous discussions on just these topics.

Each and every one of those questions could be a lengthy discussion and most have been addressed here multiple times. Use the Forum Library and Search (the one on the menu bar) to find some previous discussions.

I'll hit a few highlights, but you really need to launch separate message topics for each category of question cause it gets way too confusing to try them all at once.

Most fulltimers are at least semi-retired, if only because of the income problem. There are some decent paying jobs that can be done while traveling, but they mostly involve skilled professions, usually medical field, computers & internet, or the skilled construction trades. And even with those, you may have to go where the work is rather than where you want to go.

Living closely in 250-350 sq ft can be challenging and is probably going to fray your nerves once in awhile. This is one of the reasons nearly all of us recommend that you get a larger RV than what you think will be ok. Little things like elbow room in the sower and a galley big enough to make meals easily can make a huge difference in stress level.

People who travel a lot in RV usually learn to make acquaintances quickly, perhaps even inviting your one-night neighbors to join your cook-out or enjoy a campfire. RVers know it's just ships passing in the night, so guests contribute freely and nobody expects a return invitation, since neither of you may be there the next day. Kids, especially younger ones,  are often better at this than adults. The older they get, however, the more important social standing and events become, so tenagers may have a rough time without school friendships and events, sports activities, etc.

You can title and register your RV pretty much wherever you like and this is best done when you buy it. If you don't buy in the state where it will be registered, get temporary aags and drive it there to complete the formalities. Details of how to do this vary by state. Most RVers want a domicile in a state with no or low income tax, and maybe a low sales tax if buying a high dollar RV.

Homesick? Maybe. We really enjoy traveling and spend several months a year in the coach, but we also love our small fixed home in rural Florida.  We are just as happy to get back as we are to leave. I miss my workshop while away, even though I do small projects and repairs on the road, and we would return to our "home" area to see family and anyway. Others seem content to live fulltime in the RV, though most have a home base somewhere, even if just a fixed RV site. And everybody needs an exit plan, for that inevitable time when you can't travel at will any more.

There was definitely some value to that response, Gary! Thank you! I will search around, and if I dont find anything that quite answers my question, I will post something. I just dont want to run out and buy an RV, then hit the road. I can only hope that once I am done with my Biology/Chemistry degree, that maybe I could find something in that field that would allow me to travel. 

Back
Top Bottom