Anyone towing a 2013 Ford Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve N Dee

I recently purchased a 2013 AWD Ford Edge as it is 4 down towable.  I haven't even got it set up for towing yet, but something concerns me.  I have read the owners manual about the steps to take for towing.  It just says "shift from park, to drive to reverse to neutral.  Turn key to acc position". That's it. Later, "let engine run for 5 minutes every 6 hours to cool trans fluid."  Nothing else.  Here's the concern.  When I follow these steps, it appears that the 2 information screens that sit right and left of the speedometer remain illuminated with a light blue background and an illuminated diagnostic message on the screen saying "shift to park".  I have waited outside the vehicle for 5 minutes to see if this eventually turns off or goes away and it hasn't.  Won't this cause the battery in the toad to drain?  :mad:  I have seen nothing about any fuses that need to be pulled or bypassed in the owner's manual or the 2013 dinghy guide?  I am hoping someone has one for a toad and can dispel my fears.  I would hate to think I made a $ 40,000.00 mistake, especially after all the research I did  :'(

Steve

You may need to call Ford Customer Hotline and ask if it is normal for those screens to be on when towing.  And verify that you are doing the tow procedure right, since the Edge is picky about the exact sequence. A friend of mine tows an '07 Edge and learned to be very attentive to getting his exactly right or it in fact was not in towing mode. His has no screens to light up, though, so I can't help you there.

An LCD screen doesn't take a lot of power, but you could add a Toad Charge unit to make sure the toad battery gets charged from the coach. Think of it as insurance.

Thanks Gary.  I will try calling Ford.  Are there any downsides to installing a toad charger?  Do you have any idea what they cost?  Like you say, it sounds like insurance to me.  As long as it's cheap enough?  Not to sound too much like a newbie, but it is something that you install in the toad or do you install it in the MH and wire it to the toad? Hoped I was avoiding all this for a 4 down toad.  Just goes to show even good research can't be fool proof  :(

Thanks,

Steve

Actually, a Toad Charge is really nothing more than some wire, a diode and circuit breaker. You could make it yourself, but most people buy the kit. The few components go on the coach and hook to a 12v source but there is a plug that connects to a matching wire that goes to the toad battery. There is a small charge regulator box on the toad side too. Pretty simple and most anybody can install themselves.

Retail price is $72.95 - not sure if there is any discounted source.

http://www.rvpowersupply.com/toadcharge.htm

Steve

Doesn't that car have push button start, no key required...How do you put it in accessory mode?

Terry A. Brewer said:
Steve

Doesn't that car have push button start, no key required...How do you put it in accessory mode?
Terry:
  The push button start is on the Limited model, mine is an SEL.  However, to answer your question, in a puch button start car, if you press the start button once WITHOUT you foot on the brake pedal, the car doesn't start, it goes to the accesoory mode.  Press it again, withour your foot on the bake ans it goes to the on position without starting.  Press agfain without the brake depressed and it goes back to the off position.  The car will never start withoput your foot on the brake.  I "assume" all push button start cars work this way.  That's how my Inifiniti that I'm just getting rid of worked.

Steve

Be very careful when you go to the service manager, "not all are created equal"......

Get in writing.......

Ford has changed transmissions more times than I change socks.

The original Ford 6-speed auto was designed to be towable, but the junior engineers have been twiddling with it for 6 years ow and have managed to "improve" many of the best features out of it, especially as they adapted it to other vehicles than the original Edge.  I think the Edge is still OK, but definitely check and double-check. Even Ford has been surprised to learn that some of the models they advertised as towable are not. Similar thing happened at GM, which uses their own variant of the same transmissions.

My owners manual specifically states that the AWD model I bought is 4 down towable.  In fact it says it cannot be towed on a dolly with the front wheels off the ground.  I would hope Ford would know this for a fact before they print it in the owners manual.  My concern currently is whether there would be a battery drain issue?  I plan to call Ford tomorrow.

Sreve

I cannot talk about the Edge, but I know the Escape (non Hybred) was allowed to be towed four down in 2010 but in mid year they changed the tranny, and did not change the owners manual.  You can imagine the problems...

Wow, I don't like to hear that.  Ford must have set itself up for some big liabilities.

Steve

I just set mine up to tow with a Roadmaster EZ baseplate. Almost invisible. I need to complete the wiring for the taillights and install the brake bypass for the supplemental brake system. Hooked the Edge up for a test tow and it towed perfectly. I replaced a 2008 Edge so the new electronics are a new concern for me, as well, in accessory mode while being towed. I'm considering a fuse bypass but I'm not sure which fuse to pull. We're usually short trippers so I'm not sure if its worth the hassle if we stop often enough and run the engine.

Mike

Mike:
  Thanks for the update.  I am taking mine to CW on Friday to have it set up to tow.  I too will use the Roadmaster baseplate.  I used to tow a CR-V and I have a falcon all-terrain towbar.  The electronics are a concern although we too are short trippers.  Besides, the edge manual says you have to stop every 6 hours and run the engine for 5 minutes to cool the transmission fluid, so it may not be a concern.  I just don't know how much of a draw there will be on the toad battery? I am considering a toad charger if the electronics prove to be a problem.  Have you definitely determined that the electronic dash does not shut down when towing?

Steve

Steve, not yet. I think I may set the parking brake and leave it in tow mode to see if it will eventually go off. I'll let you know what I find. Have you determined a spot for the taillight connection at the front of your Edge?

Mike

Mike:
  I followed the step by step procedures as far as the transmission is concerned, got it in neutral, set the parking brake and got out of the car and let it run for 15 minutes.  The dash screens never went dark, that is where my concern is coming from.  I can't imagine that it could have anything to do with the parking brake being on, or with the wheels not rolling; but I guess anything is possible  :eek:
  As for the taillight connection, I am not doing the setup myself, I'm having it done at CW.  I am dropping it off over the weekend and they are doing the hookup next week.  I will ask and try to let you know.

Steve

Here's what I did and found out. I started the car, put it into drive then into neutral and then turned the ignition off. This is the tow ready state. (I only set the parking brake so it wouldn't roll away). All screens remained lit with the place in park message showing. I checked at ten minutes all screens were still lit; however, at 30 minutes or so the only thing lit was the center PNDS. All screens were dark. I didn't leave it in any longer to see if PNDS lights go out. Looks like a very small drain to me. I'm curious to see how CW hooks up your lights.

Thanks
Mike

The Roadmaster install kit comes with a four wire loom that is run under the car back to the right rear tail light. The included diodes and wiring connections are made there with one wire run over to the right turn signal.

Steve (Steve N Dee)

I do not see an email icon for you so I'll make my request in a post.

I have a 2013 Edge and I'm a few days away from purchasing a 2006 Journey 34H, a very similar set up as you and I have a few questions I hope you can answer. My email - ICON is just below my username at the left if you wouldn't mind sending me your email.

Thanks,
Russ

RGrimm said:
Steve (Steve N Dee)

I do not see an email icon for you so I'll make my request in a post.

Russ,  It is tax season and if you don't hear from Steve it  is likely because he is  "on the job."  He announced a couple of months ago he would be off the RVForum  until after the  season.  Just in case you  were waiting  and waiting.  On the other hand watch him prove me wrong and respond to you.

You may very well have a smart key, when it is near the vehicle the vehicle will be energized. Try to take the key away from the vehicle at least 40 ft and see if the vehicle will go to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom