Anyone towing a 2013 Ford Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty:
  thanks for giving Russ the update about my work status.  I finally saw his post today and I sent him an email.  Hope all is well with you and Terry.  Looking forward to Moab and seeing the group again.  Came up for a breath of framily air today.

Steve

Last Oct we purchased a 2013 Ford Edge Limited to utilize as a toad. Motorhome magazine indicates it is towable. It is, but with two big problems. For the record ours has the push button start feature. We have made one trip and experienced three dead batteries. Each time out the middle of no where. Three different Ford dealers all with same conclusion. We can't find anything wrong. When I got back home I identified many posting on the internet expressing the same problem. I identified the Ford "customer care team" and made contact. I was given a case number and appointment at my local Ford dealer and told by that  person that personal contact would be maintained until my issue was resolved. Six +/- weeks later and multiple ignored phone calls I got the answer. Do to the electronics of the Edge some features remain activated while towing and the battery will go dead. To avoid this problem stop and run the car every 4-5 hours. Not a good solution when traveling freeways or interstates. Ford identified an after market fix which utilizes your motorhome alternator/batteries to charge the car battery as you go down the road. One guess who is to purchase and install. Another problem came to light during this process. In tow mod the Edge continues to compute miles traveled. What do think that does to your trade in value on this car? Penalized for ware and tear when the engine is not running. This is not my first toad. I have not had this problem before. I hope I save someone this agony.

Chuckolba:
  We have a 2013 Edge SEL AWD.  In October last year, we towed from L.A. to Yosemite, then from Yosemite to Big Sur, the from Big Sur to Morro Bay.  All with no issues.  No miles added on the odometer and no dead battery.  Last weekend, we traveled from L.A. to Mesquite, NV, about 6 hours.  The car sat overnight still connected to the MH.  Got in the next morning and it started right up.  Let it run just 5 minutes and shut it off.  Towed it for 4 hours into southern, UT, stopped at a rest area and, you guessed it, dead battery.  I was not a happy camper and reading your post, I am an even unhappier camper.  I bought this car SPECIFICALLY because it was 4 down towable with no modifications and no fuses to pull.  I can't believe this!  Please post if you find out anything more.

Thanks for the info,

Steve

Hi Steve, I'm a frustrated Edge owner new to this forum. Wondering if your found a resolution?
I have a 2011 Edge LTD. I just towed it for four hours and the battery was dead. On my return I stopped after 2 hours and it started fine. I let it run for 10- 15 minutes and continued on. 45 minutes later I went to start it was, yep, it was dead.
(No miles are recorded when I am in neutral)
Looking for advice!
Alan

Steve N Dee said:
My owners manual specifically states that the AWD model I bought is 4 down towable.  In fact it says it cannot be towed on a dolly with the front wheels off the ground.  I would hope Ford would know this for a fact before they print it in the owners manual.  My concern currently is whether there would be a battery drain issue?  I plan to call Ford tomorrow.

Sreve
Its very simple assuming your MH comes factory equipped with a charge wire at the 7 pole outlet on the MH. If your not using a 7 pole out plug you must change to one and then run the charge wire taped to your existing towing lite wires and run it directly to the + side of the battery.Use a 30amp inline fuse added in at the battery end.Works like a charm.also use a quick connect when hooking this wire in for ease of assembly and disassembly
IF for some reason it does not come with a 7 pole system.U can simply run a 10 gauge wire from the Chassis batterys to the car also using inline fuse and quick connects etc

Alan:
  I did resolve me problem exactly how Buchanan stated above.  I took my MH and Edge to camping world and for $ 157 they incorporated the charge line into my existing power cable.  I have now towed 1,500 miles over the last 10 days and no dead batteries  ;D  This to me was an easy no brainer type of fix.

Steve

At breakfast this morning, my friend who owns a 2013 Edge, said when he stops at a rest area, on the dash there's a warning light that says "battery disconnect" or something to those words.  The light does not go out. If he does not disconnect the car from the MH the next day the battery is dead.  Dealer said to disconnect it at night and drive the car. That should turn off the light.

I told him to just disconnect the power plug to the car over night and see if the battery goes dead. 

Any ideas???

I have never had such a warning light.  My warning light says "shift to park". It stays on the entire time we are towing.  This is what causes the battery drain. I was told from the get go to always unplug the mh from the car overnight, which I have always done.  I start the car every morning and run it for 5 minutes like the owners manual says to. I don't disconnect and drive it. This seems to work fine for me.

Steve

There's been quite awhile since last posting.  We owned a 2012 Escape that we towed behind our RV. Lost our transmission in Panama City where it sat in a Ford dealership fir 3 months waiting for a transmission that came from Germany.  Finally got it repaired only to be told  it is no longer towable.  Stuck between a rock and a hard place we traded car in for a 2014 Edge.  Now every time we stop at a campground we have to have the battery jumped to start it.  Talked to a Regional Mgr this morning only to be told that she just became aware of this a month ago. No bulletins. No letters, no warnings.  According to Ford they are totally in the right. The car is towable (if you invest in  some towing part). This is on our dime. We were lied to with the Escape and now with the Edge.  We are retired  fixed income, disabled Vet!  I hate that we must resort to an Attorney.  I also say Ford with a sour taste in my mouth. 

[/font]LATYJ: I have a 2009 Ford Escape and we have replaced the transmission 2 times (Salem OR and Monroe LA).  Both in 2009 when we were on cross country trip after retiring. Ford replaced both and we had our vehicle back in about 3 weeks each time.  Can't believe the transmission for your 2012 came from Germany! That's almost absurd! We did tow it a couple other times in 2010 and 2011 with no problems.  But every trip I am constantly on pins and needles wondering when or if it will happen again.  Hence, I am now looking for another toad and would like the Ford Edge. Does anyone recommend not towing the Edge or any Ford vehicle?  I have read all the messages and will print several of them. It sounds like an ignition using a key is best and then to make sure a battery charger setup like Steve & Dee did at Camping World would make towing the Edge ok.

LATYJ:  Sorry.  Should have said transmission instead of engine coming from Germany.  I proof-read the post too! Dang.

jbanks48,
  We have about 5,000 towing miles on our 2013 ford edge.  Other than out initial upset over the battery issue that has since been resolved with a charge line, we are pretty happy.  No transmission issues at all.  My research indicated that the best model to get was the SEL not the LIMITED, and it must be AWD to be 4 down towable.  The Limited model come with the push button start that others have said is problematic.  If you have any other questions, ask away.

Steve

Hey Everyone,
I realize this thread is old, but the topic is fresh for me right now. Looking at 2012 to 2014 Ford Edges for use as a daily driver but also want something I can tow a few times a year.

It seems like the push button start is a bad idea because it racks up miles while being towed.  Has this been true for everyone or just a few?  What I mean is, is there anyone out there with a push button start Edge that is not having miles counted while towing?

Not too concerned about battery issues since I'll be running a charge line. But, I am thinking about brakes.  For those with Edge Toads, what type of braking system are you using?

Also, Steve, you mentioned the Edge should be the SEL and MUST be AWD. Why do you say that? Thanks!

I don't tow an Edge and I don't know about the SEL and awd part, but I do know you can't tow the Ecoboost four down. The transmission won't allow it. I am a bit confused about the SEL part though. That's just a trim level, above the base, below the Limited. Mine is an Ecoboost Limited.

We have a 2013 Limited Edge with push button start.
Have towed for about 5000 miles since last April and no miles accumulated when we are towing.
Dead battery issues, now thats another story. I am going to install a charging/maintaining line before our next trip in April.
At the risk of being politically incorrect, hope all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

We have a 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid, FWD. No problems, when we purchased the car, we were told you could only tow Wheels down On just FWD. AWD could not be towed 4 down.

My question is does anyone tow a hybrid FORD? What year? Any problems? AWD or FRW?

Jim

We have a 2010 Mazda Tribute, same as an Escape. It is the 4 cyl auto with AWD. Set it up for towing and towed it once to Moab, UT from central AZ. When we got there the tranny was DOA. Local Ford dealer wouldn't even look at it since he was not a Mazda dealer and referred us to a dealer near Salt Lake City since it was under warranty. We towed it home and Ford/Mazda ended up putting in a new transmission. 
Ford came up with some new rules for towing, stop after 4 hours and let it cool for an hour which we had done anyway with a lunch stop in Kayenta, AZ So since that time we have been afraid to tow it, and traded our F150 Super Crew in for a Ranger to tow. (F 150 was 4WD with electronic 4WD and not tow-able).
Ranger has auto transmission, but we had a Remco drive line disconnect installed when we made the trade. Just made another vehicle to get set up with tow plate and wiring.
This hobby will try your patience sometimes.

Bob T said:
We have a 2013 Limited Edge with push button start.
Have towed for about 5000 miles since last April and no miles accumulated when we are towing.

Hi Bob,
that's exactly what I was wanting to know. Could you please tell me what your procedure is for towing the Edge in regards to the push button start/accessory mode etc?  Do you leave it in accessory mode? Or shut it off with the transmission in Neutral?  I'm wondering if the people who have been accumulating miles have somehow put their vehicle in the wrong mode.

And, Merry Christmas to you too! 

Hi Ken
We run the car for about 5 minutes making sure it goes through the gears.  My wife pulls up and I connect the tow bar. When connected to tow bar, she puts in neutral and pushes the start button to turn off. It will have message to put in park but that should be accessory position.  After a while, the gps screen and the dash lights dim/go off.  Note, not all lights on dash go off. Be sure you turn radio and climate control into the off positions as the battery really fades.
I then connect the aux brakes, we test for lighting and we are ready to go.
Generally, we are fine for starting after the first 5 hour run but I have to connect the booster cables the next time we stop. ( I plan to put a line from coach to car to keep battery up before we head out in April)

I havent had any increase in odometer reading on car any time we've towed the car.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob

Thanks Bob,
My biggest question was the toad racking up miles. I'm familiar with the push button start in my Kia Sorento (sure wish that could be flat towed).  One thing I'm wondering, since others have said they do accumulate miles, is is there a difference in putting the Edge in accessory mode from engine running, to not running. 

As in, you can put the vehicle in accessory mode by hitting the push start button while the engine is running, or when it's not but not having your foot on the brake pedal. Then again I guess you wouldn't get the transmission in Neutral that way. But, if you were hooked up and it was already in neutral, that might be what adds miles?  I don't know, pure speculation until it's tried out. And by then it's too late to change anything.

On the other hand, I'm only worried about miles for trade in value. And, I think a car I'm converting to a toad is one I'll keep at least 10 years. We usually do that anyway, but especially with a toad. I mean, to you and me a car that can be flat towed that already comes with brackets, etc. installed is a good thing.  But, I wonder if the general public will feel the same way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom