Red Max Pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The PO of my Bounder tried rattle can clear coat on part of one side of it. It looked like a rattle can job too, you could see the spray pattern, awful. I skipped the barkeepers and white scrubbie. Went staight to a green abrasive scrubbie and laquer thinner. When I was done removing the spray paint I scrubbed the whole side with the green scrubbies and TSP. The oxidization was deep, the side came out very dull and there was a pattern from scrubbing visible. Let me tell you, this stuff is amazing, just like the other topic on Red Max Pro/Zep Wet Look Floor Finish. 1st coat was blotchy, 2nd coat a bit better, 3rd coat, starting to smile, 4th coat, grinning, 5th coat holy sh!^* !

My Bounder is 20 years old, painted, with the vinyl stripes instead of the newer swoopy decals. The stripes held up to the laquer thinner and scrubbie treatment but had some fading. I used white microfiber mop pads for those new fangled mops. Easy to find. 1st coat thin, to avoid runs and sags. 2nd coat, I figured out this stuff disolves into itself and hang a heavier coat than the 1st... to a point. A google search turns up a lot of happy campers that have tried it and nay-sayers that haven't tried it. Supposed to be easy to touch up too. Just wash with a PH neutral cleaner, let dry and wipe on. I suspect it is the same stuff as that poly-glow I've seen advertized but for a lot less money.

Bill

Whew......Sure glad Lou spoke up before I did. I may not be the "silver tonged communicator" that he is and really offend some one.
Calling RMP a wax is an unservice to those that don't know what the Acrylic coating is all about. Misinformation is worse than no information at all.

Richard

Very shinny 95 Bounder w/RMP

For the edification of us ill-informed folks, could someone post a link to the manufacturer's specs for this wonder product? The searching I've done comes up empty, except for numerous references to it no longer being available, including on amazon.com.

TIA.

For the edification of us ill-informed folks, could someone post a link to the manufacturer's specs for this wonder product?

Spoken like an extremely interested and truly open minded neophyte seeking enlightenment.

Here's the link.  There is a tab for the specs, and the MSDS can be viewed under the more info tab.

Not too much to be learned from the data, but I'm not aware of anyone misrepresenting the product.

Thanks Lou, but that link points to a different product. Now I'm really confused  ???

I'm not sure if I answered my own question, but google found several references suggesting that the product may have re-branded to Zep, and a search of their product catalog turned up Zep Universal Floor Finish. Maybe we should be referring to ZUFF?

Zep Inc. Is also the manufacturer of other wonder products such as Armor All.

Tom, Red Max Pro was the Lowe's version of Home Depot's ZEP Wet Look.

It's exactly the same product, and has always been manufactured by ZEP.  It was strictly a marketing decision to drop the RMP name and use only the company name.

Zep makes at least three different floor finishes;
  • Zep Universal Floor Finish
  • High Traffic Floor Finish
  • Zep Wet Look
It's the Wet Look (step-3) product that is being used on fiberglass RVs with such great results.
It does appear that some folks have grabbed the first ZEP product they came across, in Lowe's or HD, and were disappointed in the results.

Much of my frustration with those criticizing the use of the product, comes from the fact that it's done with no effort to gain enough knowledge to adequately evaluate it, but to simply appear innately qualified to "call my baby ugly".

I don't expect you to actually try it (I don't think you have a need for it), but I DO appreciate your efforts to learn enough about it to have an objective opinion. 

Thanks Lou. The plot confusion thickens. From my research last night ...

Zep appears to be both the company name (Zep Inc.) And the name of one of their many brands. They make/sell a number of different floor finishes under the Zep brand, but Zep Wet Look doesn't appear in their product catalog, at least not under Finishes or under Floor Care:

www.zep.com/zepsearch/default2.aspx?country=U

Adding to the confusion is the reference on some sites/forums to "RMP by Enforcer", which happens to be another Zep Inc brand, but used exclusively for their pest control products.

I noted in their CEO message that they'e focused on a diversification strategy (fancy /odd term for where customers are able to buy their products), and an acquisition strategy, which together suggest more musical chairs with subsidiaries, brands and products.

Meanwhile, it's possible that their webmaster is in the dark (or confused) about some of the changes.

Perhaps the term "Wet Look" is just to describe the actual floor finish product within the Universal floor finish process, and not a product LINE, I don't know.  I do know it's printed right on the bottle of the (step-3) step in their process.

Why, or how, someone decided the product would be good for external use on an RV, I don't know.  I don't know who, or why, someone decided that an oyster would be good to eat either, but I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

Perhaps the term "Wet Look" is just to describe the actual floor finish product within the Universal floor finish process, and not a product LINE"

I looked at every product within several product lines, and didn't find it. I'm thinking that this might (be) a "Lowes only" product, and might change as Zep Inc pursues their 'diversification' strategy.

Given the apparent popularity of Zep Wet Look, it would appear that there's an opportunity to re-market it as Zep Shiny Old Fiberglass RV', and sell it through WalMarts and RV dealerships/stores..

That was a serious comment, no sarcasm intended (or stated). If I was a lowly worker in the company and read the numerous messages across various forums, I'd make a suggestion to management. If I were in Marketing for the company and read this stuff, I'd hop on it.

OTOH if you're referring to the "Zep Shiny Old Fiberglass RV" description, I honestly couldn't think of a good name or phrase, but comments on this and other forums about 'putting a shine on old fiberglass RVs' kept ringing in my head. I later thought of a more generic description that my other half uses for her boat remodeling business: "We bring new life to your old boat", which is what many of her clients have repeatedly asked for; That could translate to something like "Brings a new shine to the old/dull/faded (pick one) look of your fiberglass RV". I'm not good with these sayings, but I'm sure a Marketing type would come up with something better that wouldn't offend anyone.

Lowes shows the product HERE under the Red Max Pro brand name. It is quite common for a company like ZEP to brand a product exclusively for Lowes, Depot, Walmart, NAPA, etc. and the private label would not typically be included in their general product catalog.

Red Max & ZEP Wet look are high gloss synthetic floor polishes, but certainly not the only "wet look" synthetic floor product available. Some others are Spotlight, Simonize Wet Look Plus, and Hi-Tech Wet Look. I have no knowledge of whether those brands work equal/better/worse than the ZEP-brand products, though.

I suspect the word will get back to ZEP (if it hasn't already) about how the product is being used.  They might explore marketing it just for this purpose, but would probably have to address peoples questions about the long term uv exposure effects first.  That's something that even those of us who have used it for a couple of years can't answer.

Gary, the product that you linked to is still available in some Lowe's stores on a 'close out' basis, but is not being restocked.  All the stores here in the Raleigh area have switched over to the ZEP branded products.

would probably have to address peoples questions about the long term uv exposure effects first.

Good point Lou, especially since most of the stuff I've read talks about 'indoor' use. But they're a big enough company with lots of resources to be able to get accelerated aging evaluation going, if they haven't already. Personally, I'd be happy to see them come out with an RV product that they stand behind; If nothing else, it would remove the "floor polish" negative perception that a number of us have. Hopefully, they wouldn't jack up the price just because the label says "RV".

Lou Schneider said:
If they do, Home Depot and the original stuff is usually just down the street ....
That's true, and they're not exactly giving the stuff away now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom