Your top list of our National Parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy said:
The best thing about Top 10 lists is that everyone's list is different.

That's right Wendy.  And, by the way, I totally agree with you about Monument Valley.  To take the guided tour by a Navajo and go way back in is just priceless.  If anybody has other great destinations that aren't NP or NPS but they realy feel like a destination is equal to then please do as Wendy has done and let us know?

I asked for everybody's top ten but if anybody feels so inclined to follow suit behind Tom and add more, you're certainly encouraged to do that.  Thanks a bunch Tom!

I really like the lists.  While I've been to a lot of them across this nation, I certainly haven't been to many of them and some that I've been to I need to go back and spend more time (most of western Colo. falls in this catagory but it's not a NP).

I still think the Gold Standard of places to visit is West Point, Annapolis, Coast Guard Acadamy, and the Air Force Acadamy......

What history....

I can't help but laugh.  Everytime someone adds another park as their favorite I say "YES!"  Too many to number.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I can't help but laugh.  Everytime someone adds another park as their favorite I say "YES!"  Too many to number.
I have to agree Ardra. I have listed twenty parks and I have left off Olympic, Arches, Canyonland, Capitol Reef, Redwoods, Lassen Volcanic, Isle Royale, Voyageurs, Dry Tortugas, and Acadia.

JCZ said:
...If anybody has other great destinations that aren't NP or NPS but they realy feel like a destination is equal to then please do as Wendy has done and let us know?...
Unless a park is large like Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier; I tend to look at areas rather than a single park as a destination to spend some time. For example: I mentioned Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument and the UT-12 Scenic Byway which runs from Bryce Canyon National Park to Capitol Reef National Park. Many that drive UT-12 never explore all the great places in the area(checkout the links in the website). Likewise they never explore the Scenic Backways off UT-12. We have spent several weeks in this area and still not seen it all.

Monument Valley is spectacular. Other places in the area worth visiting that are not mentioned as often are: The Valley of The Gods, Goosenecks State Park, Hovenweep National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, and South Fork of Mule Canyon. For the brave of heart there is UT-261 (the Moki Dugway).

The Sedona, AZ area has a number of attractions that make it a destination worth exploring without going near the tourist trap district: Montezuma Castle and Montezuma Well National Monuments, Tuzigoot National Monument, Palatki and Honaki Ruins, V-Bar-V Heritage SiteCathedral RockVerde Canyon Railroad, and Schnebly Hill Road Scenic Backway.

Just two examples, there are so many great places to see in this country we will never see them all. 

hmmmmm....

1. Yosemite.... just gorgeous, so many different characteristics.

2. Grand Tetons... terribly under-rated... majestic, great hiking.

3. Rocky Mtn Nat'nal Park... Again, lots of different things to do and see, great wildlife.

4. Mt. Rainier... breathtaking, lovely hiking and quiet not too crowded.

5. Yellowstone... the springs, the trails, the wildlife.  Beautiful, lots of history.

6. Great Smoky Mtns... Fall is beautiful.

7. Grand Canyon... again, tremendous hiking!!!

8. Sequoia Nat'l Park... fascinating.

9. Everglades... very different type of national park

10. a catch all... I've hit all the southeast-New England historical battlefields and monuments, ie Sumter and the like.  I like history.

OK, not to be outdone:
1) Habitation Port Royal - a recreation of Samual De Champliain's 1604 fort, the second (to St Augustine FL) permanent white settlement in NA
2) Fundy National Park - along the Bay of Fundy with its 50+ foot tides
3) Highland National Park - through which the gorgeous Cabot Trail runs
4) Fortress Louisburg - a recreation of the main French fort and village in NA
5) Cavendish National Park - home to Anne of Green Gables
6) Perce Rock & Bonaventure Island - Along the Gaspe coast, and its huge bird santuary
7) Gross Isle - The park devoted to the Irish Famine immigration to North America
8) Algonquin National Park - a great place to canoe and fish, where the Voyageurs did during the French exploration of NA
9) Lake Louise/Banff National Park - gorgeous Rocky Mountain scenery.
10) Gros Morne National Park - it has a miles long inland fiord down between 2 mountains

Come and visit, there are plenty more

Ed

1) dry tortugas - can't take the rv but its just a amazing place. I want to camp there someday

2) glacier n.p. - awesome trails, waterfalls and not a lot of people

3) Tetons -

4) Everglades - just don't go in the end of July like we did last year.  Mosquitos.....

5) smokey mtn - funeral hiking trails

6) Yellowstone - I got tired of all the people and driving forever to see anything

Been to a few other parks from Acadia to rocky mtn but its been so long ago.... Can't compare to what I have visited the last 5 years :)

2KViggen said:
1) dry tortugas - can't take the rv but its just a amazing place. I want to camp there someday

Mike was offered a job at Fort Jefferson. We talked a lot but he finally turned it down. He would have gone in a heartbeat but it was just too remote for me.

Ed:

Gros Morne is outstanding and Banff and Jasper are right up there on our list of Canadian parks.

In the US Kenai Fjiords NP is one of a kind.

Oh, yes.  We LOVE Gros Morne - superb views, great hiking, amazing geology, and moose.  Also the Viking settlement at L'Anse Meadows.  It was just so neat to think we were perhaps standing on the same piece of ground on which Erik the Red stood so many years before!  And Dawson City in the Yukon is fun too.  Last time we went planning to spend two days and I think we ended staying five.  It's part of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park which extends from Seattle to Dawson City, a cooperative effort of the U.S. National Park Service and Parks Canada.

ArdraF

remote rugged territory of stark beauty--- Canyonlands, esp West; Big Bend, Death Valley
weird and explosive --- Yellowstone, Mt.Lassen
majestic Sierra Nevada --- Yosemite, King's, Sequoia
delicate beauty --- Arches, Crater Lake
raw power -- Grand Canyon
mystery and death --- Chaco Canyon, S Dak Badlands, Gila Cliff Dwellings
underwater --- St. John's VI 
classic -- Grand Teton, Denali, Black Hills and  Glacier, Inscription Rock
great karma and form --- Capitol Reef, Organ Pipe, Great Sand Dunes
rocks, rocks, rocks --- Zion, Bryce, Rocky Mt, 
rain, rain, rain --- Kauai, Olympia, Redwoods, Ranier
to be designated ---  Salton Sea, plains territorial zone, Trail Across America

I've got a new one to add to the list, but unfortunately you can't get there with an RV.  Here is the link:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1136445-sable-island-becomes-national-park

Ed

Back
Top Bottom