Tow vehicle upgrades and overkill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABorkat

Hi everyone.  Sorry for duplication of some age-old questions.  I've been reading on the towing subject for weeks, and the information is still overwhelming!  The biggest issue I see in my research is varying opinions, and in some cases, wrong information.  For my specific scenario though, I still have a few specific questions, so I wanted people's input.

I'm in the market for both the tow vehicle and a travel trailer.  We are a family of three with two dogs.  I think a mid-size SUV (Ford Explorer, Saab 97x, Dodge Durango) will suit us best, as the TV will also be my daily driver in the city of Atlanta.  The largest TV I'd consider is a non-extended wheelbase Expedition or a Tahoe/Yukon.  I think the ideal TT will be 21-25 ft.  I like the additional features of the larger TTs, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable traveling around the country with a large TT behind me.  My previous towing experience is limited to a 17 ft. boat on dual axle trailer (4000 lbs.) using a 2002 Range Rover.  These were always short local trips. 

In general my questions will be looking for advice on how to best set up the TV and TT for optimal and safe use.  I more or less understand the gross weights, hitch weight, engine size, and gear ratio stuff.  What I want to know more about is enhancing what you have.  I have no problem adding onto the TV any upgrades that will make me more comfortable towing and keep us safe.  As for overkill, I would do all the things necessary to do this, even if it have only minimal impact.  Would I spend $2K to buy a WDH to tow a 5ft. utility trailer?  If I thought it would help, you bet.  Remember, adding and changing car parts is easy; recovering from injures and stress is not :D

So for the questions... the tow vehicle.  What simple upgrades can be done to the truck to improve the towing experience?
- Right off, I know a little bolt-on performance is easy.  An air intake and exhaust system will add a small amount of power.  Any issues with this?
- I know slotted/drilled brake rotors will stay cooler under load, but I've only done this on cars not towing something.    Any issues with this?
- What about things like adding/upgrading sway bars, strut tower brace, shocks, springs, etc.?  What helps stabilize the vehicle without sacrificing a lot of comfort?
- Is it true that the TV wheel diameter has no impact to the towing, aside from the known decreased comfort of a shorter sidewall? I'm not talking about changing the overall wheel/tire size; I'm talking about the difference between say a 17" and 20" wheel with the correct corresponding tire size.  I'm not likely to change the wheels, but just in case...
- Obviously something I can't upgrade, but is 2WD or 4WD better?  And is it true that the longer the TV wheelbase, the more stable you are in crosswinds, tunnels, and passing trucks?

So for the short amount of questions on the travel trailer.
- Single or double axle?  And why?
- Does a weight distribution hitch reduce TT sway?  If not, can sway control devices be added.  Are there any setups that do both?
- How much impact does the shape of the front of the TT have?  In other words, do the V shaped nose or curved top really improve the wind resistance and stability?  Or or these sales gimmicks?

Anything else I'm not thinking of?  Thanks,
AB

2Wd,4Wd is your choice and what types of places you park. Have had both and IMHO 4X4 added weight and reduced GVWR,GCWR is about all.
Yes, the longest wheel base you can buy will tow better.  IMHO I would be looking for a Suburban with the 8.1L or at the least the 6.0L motor.  The other option of choice would be an older Excursion with the 7.3L diesel.  That would make you one fantastic towing vehicle.  As for hitches?  Depending on the TV you settle on and the trailer you pick, but something like the Hensley Arrow would be the best choice for towing and stability.

So for the questions... the tow vehicle.  What simple upgrades can be done to the truck to improve the towing experience?
- Right off, I know a little bolt-on performance is easy.  An air intake and exhaust system will add a small amount of power.  Any issues with this?
- I know slotted/drilled brake rotors will stay cooler under load, but I've only done this on cars not towing something.    Any issues with this?
- What about things like adding/upgrading sway bars, strut tower brace, shocks, springs, etc.?  What helps stabilize the vehicle without sacrificing a lot of comfort?
- Is it true that the TV wheel diameter has no impact to the towing, aside from the known decreased comfort of a shorter sidewall? I'm not talking about changing the overall wheel/tire size; I'm talking about the difference between say a 17" and 20" wheel with the correct corresponding tire size.  I'm not likely to change the wheels, but just in case...
- Obviously something I can't upgrade, but is 2WD or 4WD better?  And is it true that the longer the TV wheelbase, the more stable you are in crosswinds, tunnels, and passing trucks?

Any vehicle upgrade that adds power or improves cooling is a candidate. You need plenty of both with towing loads, and there is no such thing as having too much.

4WD doesn't tow any better, but it might help you on wet grass or clay-based mud. Campground roads aren't always the best! And yes, the longer the tow vehicle wheel base, the more stable the tow.

So for the short amount of questions on the travel trailer.
- Single or double axle?  And why?
- Does a weight distribution hitch reduce TT sway?  If not, can sway control devices be added.  Are there any setups that do both?
- How much impact does the shape of the front of the TT have?  In other words, do the V shaped nose or curved top really improve the wind resistance and stability?  Or or these sales gimmicks?

The number of trailer axles are driven by the weight of the trailer. Heavier trailer needs either a larger single axle or more of them.  The economics are such that I doubt if you will find any single axle travel trailers over about 3000 lbs, so is a moot question.

A WD hitch is for carrying the tongue weight more evenly on the tow vehicle. The WD itself has nothing to do with sway, but some brands of WD hitch integrate a sway-control mechanism with the weight-distribution capability. Reese Strait Line Dual Cam and The Equalizer are the two prominent brands that do so and they are highly recommended. At the very high end, The Hensley Arrow and ProPride hitches provide the ultimate in WD and sway control. If money is not object, go for one of those.

The single largest inhibitor to fuel economy when towing is wind resistance, both tow vehicle and trailer, so anything that can be done to reduceit is worthwhile. That said, the "aero" front ends on most trailers probably have little effect overall because air flow and resistance is a very complex issue that does not easily succumb to simple measures. There is as much or more effect from the design of the rear of tow vehicle and trailer as there is from the trailer front end. However, a lower trailer always has less air to push out of the way, so reducing overall height is good thing. That's why pop-ups and other forms of fold-down trailers (e.g. Trail Manor) get so much better fuel economy than taller ones.  Keep the overall height in mind when shopping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom