Flat tow cars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aertre

Hi,

My name is Cindy and my husband and I recently bought a 2001 Winnebago Chieftain. Now we want to get a car that is flat towable. What kind of car do you have and what is good and/or bad about that one?

Thank you so much for your help.

Cindy

I tow a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport and have been for many, many years.  As a matter of fact I started towing it three motor homes ago.  It is the most forgiving toad I could hope for.  Easy to hook up, disengage drive, and away I go hardly noticing it is there.  Oh and it is fully depreciated out so if anything happens we won't be heartbroken.

Thank you! On another post I found out about this site: http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/RecommendedVehicles.php.

We tow a 6 speed manual Honda Accord - 31 mpg when it drives itself, no problems when it hugs the rear of the coach.

Plug and play, no tricks, no issues in three years and 25,000 miles of towing. It weighs right at 3400#.

Cindy, you'll probably need a car that doesn't weigh a lot and you'll want one that can be towed four down.  Our first tow car was a Geo Tracker and we loved it because it was light weight, towable four down, and it was respectable for off road adventures.  In fact, because it was so much fun we started four-wheeling with our other friends who had four-wheel drive cars.

ArdraF

We tow a Honda Fit.  It's light weight and I wouldn't even  know that I was towing it if I didn't look in at the rear view monitor occasionally since I can't see it in my side view mirrors unless I'm turning. 

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 Door) Automatic.  This will be close to max for you.  Mine is 4500 lbs but it has a lot of off road add ons.  Tows like a charm.

In the past year 5 people in our RV park have purchased Honda CRVs for towing. I know why, we have one and love it. Decent leg room and room in the back for lot of goodies and tows really well. Have towed ours for 4 years now without a problem. Highly recommended.

Bill

08 wrangler unlimited - manual

The good - its a jeep

The bad - its a jeep

:)

I would guess pretty much all vehicles tow the same be it a crv, wrangler or whatever it is.  Mostly I think it boils down to what you want. 

If you want to be able to go anywhere you want and want a convertible a wrangler is hard to beat.  Wife gets 17-18mpg in hers... I am not a fan of driving it or any SUV for that matter.... I am a car fan but the wife loves

2KViggen said:
08 wrangler unlimited - manual

The good - its a jeep

The bad - its a jeep

:)
The way of the Jeep.  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.  When asked I just say "Its a Jeep thing"

I tow a 2013 Ford Focus.  It works PERFECT. Weighs only 2900lbs. Great gas mileage to, consistently between 34-39 mpg!

Cindy
When we bought our MH two years ago, like you, I looked around for something to pull. Then I went out to my wife's 2008 FWD MKX and checked the owners Manuel. We've been pulling it for two years now, four down, just put in neutral with the key in ACC. It's heavy at 4300p, but still under the max tow weight at 5000p. 8)

We tow an older 2003, Chevy Malibu. Good 4 or cramped 5 person vehicle, room for a bicycle in back if needed. Inexpensive car and easy to tow.

Ken

Look in the library for some good information.
We tow a 2004 Malibu.  Car has 90,000 actual miles with another 89,000 towed miles. This is our family car as well as our tow car. We are on our 3rd set of tires and have had the front end aligned once. Car gets 26 mph average with 32 mph on long trips. Happy, happy, happy.

2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Automatic Transmission...very easy setup and tow.

Attachments

• 2005 Jeep 1.jpg
    2005 Jeep 1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 14
I flat tow  2002 Chevy Astro in neutral with the engine running. It gets 50 mpg as the engine is only powering the power steering and torque converter. It is much less expensive than installing a driveshaft bypass at $3000.

2010 Honda CRV. Need the hatchback/suv style for the lab and yorkie otherwise they might not let me use their dog house (the motorhome)!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom