'99 Bounder - why front wheels look so far in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jomarex

Second post here; forgive me while I bumble around trying to find my way...

I was looking at a '99 Bounder on eBay, and it just kinda looks like the front wheels are too far in under the body. What effect would that have on handling, or does that mean it's a wide-body, or ?? It's a 37' with a tag axle.

I'm very picky about how cars handle, so I'm nervous about finding an RV that handles decently...

Joy

Well, a gas chassis motorhome isn't going to handle anything like a car, so you are in for some re-education in any case. But yes, the wheel track is relatively narrow for the size. Skinny tires too. It wasn't until 2001, with the advent of the Workhorse W-series chassis, that they began to get decently wide. A few years later for Ford chassis coaches. Diesel chassis from Freightliner, Spartan and Roadmaster were all wider.

You will probably be happier with a somewhat later year, say 2003-2005. And even more happy if you go with diesel chassis instead of gas. Both of those have a price, of course.

For what it is worth...I bought my 34J Bounder new 12-31-1998 as a 1999 model.  It is a Ford V10 and has the "wider wheels" and 245 70R 19.5 tires.  It drives very well and handles nicely in the west Texas cross winds.  I believe the GM chassis in those days were more narrow.....I wish I could buy another 34J, new....but all have slides now and we have plenty of room without a slide.  JMHO

George is correct.  The Ford chassis was widened for the late '98 & '99 models.  The '97 and early '98s were made on the narrow chassis with 16" wheels.  My '97 34V is one of the wide body coaches on the narrow chassis, and while it looks a little weird, it drives fine.

I have a 2008 on a Ford chassis and V10.  It does have the steering stabilizer spring things on the front to help keep the wheels centered so I have no idea how it would handle without them.  With them I am happy with the way it rides.  I also have 22.5" wheels so I think that also helps in the stability.  As it has already been said, these things are nice but come with a price.
You will feel the sway a lot more in a motor home just because you are sitting higher off the ground.  To demonstrate, use a yard stick or 4' level and just tilt it.  Look at the distance traveled at the top compared to the mid-section.  The taller you are the more you travel with the same degree of tilt angle.  Now rock it the other way.  The tip is traveling faster than the mid-section because it has to travel further for the same angle.

Back
Top Bottom