Rv leveling, tires in air ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2KViggen

Staying at a camping area in Florida and the site is far from level.  To make the rv level both front tires are 4-6 inches in the air.  Is. This ok to do?  Didn't know if it would hurt the suspension at all...... Only be this way until Saturday morning.

Are you sure it is 4 to 6 inches?  That just seems more like someones driveway, not a camp site.  I assume then that the rears are fully set on the grond.  You realy should have some weight on the front tires for stability and safety.  I use leveling blocks when I get a site that is that out of level and a tire is comming off the ground.  You can also use pieces of 2X6.

It's never a good idea to have air showing between the tires and the ground with nothing to support the tires.  It isn't just maybe hurting the suspension or torqueing the body, but the safety issue if the brake doesn't hold and the motorhome starts rolling.  That could be such a serious problem that it's simply not worth taking a chance.  If a site is that uneven, you need leveling boards under those tires.

ArdraF

You mean like this........

Ya.... scary....

Attachments

• RedBeach.JPG
    RedBeach.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 99
Wow... Yea like that pic but we have two jacks up front.  The site is quite uneven and I put a  2x6 and also leveling blocks under both front jacks and one of the rears....... I will lower the rv and just deal with the big slant. 

Originally I was sloped but saw the dp next to me with the front tires up in the air and thought I would try it

Thanks

For a day or so, it won't hurt to have the front wheels off the ground, but I wouldn't leave it that way for an extended period.  A more serious situation is having the rear wheels off the ground on a diesel with air brakes as the parking brake is only on the rear wheels.

I would be scared that the RV would get a strong gust of wind broadside....... those jacks look like they would fold over to me..... :eek:

Ned said:
For a day or so, it won't hurt to have the front wheels off the ground, but I wouldn't leave it that way for an extended period.  A more serious situation is having the rear wheels off the ground on a diesel with air brakes as the parking brake is only on the rear wheels.

Ned, are you saying that the parking brake in some way works on the front wheels in some other vehicle? It's my understanding that the parking brake of most gasoline chassis works by keeping the rear wheels from turning also. I would say ANY rig shouldn't have the rear wheels or even one rear wheel off the ground. I'm trying to figure out why you specifically said diesel with air brakes.

Ken

I addressed the diesel with air brakes because that's the configuration I'm most familiar with.  In any case, you never want all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time :)

I've parked with both front wheels off the ground several times over the years.  I don't like taking significant weight off the rear wheels because the parking brake is on the drive shaft and with one rear off the ground it could roll.

I have installed air bag helper springs on the front, so no longer like lifting the front wheels off the ground either.

Ned said:
I addressed the diesel with air brakes because that's the configuration I'm most familiar with.  In any case, you never want all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time :)
That makes sense Ned, Thanks

Ken

The common advice is NO tire in the air.. My rule is no more than one and that has to be a Front tire.. I'd use lumber to build up

Why:

Well since most motor homes use drive shaft braking for the parking brake, if even ONE rear wheel is off the ground the rig can move forward or backward turning your jacks into very expensive pretzels.

And if both front tires are off the ground and BIG WIND hits you sideways... Same effect.

Back
Top Bottom