LP Accessory Pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADfalconer

I own a Weber Q 120 and love the unit. Our Tour has an accessory access to the LP tank off the low pressure side with an access door on the passenger side of the coach.  I bought a hose that nicely fits from the access fitting to the Weber.  The grill does not function properly, barely lights on high.  It appears that between the low pressure side on the coach tank and the regulator on the Weber, I do not get enough gas pressure for sufficient operation.  Has anyone successfully married these two, heard of this before, have any suggestion?  This feature would be tremendously convenient and I would like to get it operational.  Thanks in advance for any direction.

HI, we have a 2012 Journey so we to have the accessory LP access on the passenger side.  To run proper pressure you will have to run a line up stream of the regulator on the chassis tank.  To do this go to a LP dealer that sells hoses and valves
and purchase a multi line valve, install new valve upstream of the large tank regulator, I also purchased a 20 - 25 foot hose.  Be careful to check for leaks.  When using our camp kitchen I pitch 25FT. hose under the RV to the passenger side patio, hook hose to the regulator on the camp kitchen and grill away(we don't like fish,BBQ,garlic items cooked inside using our galley.  Just be mindful to check often for LP odor and use some dish soap mixed with water in spray bottle for a leak.
Hope this helps

I think the trouble might be feeding low pressure gas into a supply that is meant for tank pressure as the above poster stated..I bet there was a grill designed for that from the coach MFG.
As for gas leaks I have used, for 30+ years, a bar of Ivory soap in a coffee mug w/a little water and a 1" paint brush lathering the soap much as I did when I shaved and coating my mechanical connections well...works for me and is cheap..

George

The Weber Q grill has pressure regulator with a "safety" feature that will react to too much pressure (line an inrush of gas) by limiting the gas going to the burner(s.)  The result is you get a low flame and you cannot change the intensity.  You have to disconnect the hose, open up the valve on the grill, close the valve, then reconnect the hose and s-l-o-w-l-y apply the gas to the grill from the gas source.

I spent many frustrating moments trying to figure out what was wrong with my grill and then some Internet research revealed the source of my problem was a dumb government safety requirement for propane grills.  [rant] More of the dumbing down of society - design products that protect the 1% of people that have zero common sense. [/rant]

The Q120 is designed to use the little 14 or 16 oz LP bottles, so it has it's own built-in pressure regulator. It must be fed with high pressure propane, not the regulated pressure (about 0.5 psi) that you get from the low pressure (regulated) side of the system on your Tour. Put a new tee in before the regulator.

Thanks guys - I have a couple different possible solutions.  The response I got from Weber was that it was not possible.  I suppose it was was a stock answer from their legal team.  I will start with John's approach and take it from there.

To use the Low pressure Quick Connect, you have to remove the regulator on the Q120 and get a hose with Quick Connect Low Pressure fittings and put a Male Quick Connect in place of the Q120 Regulator.

Here is the hose

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E62OI/ref=asc_df_B0024E62OI994674?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0024E62OI

Here is the Male Quick Connect

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59903-Propane-Quick-Connect-Fitting/dp/B007HG7WUQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1371872066&sr=1-3&keywords=camco+1%2F4%22+male+quick+connect

Do as John Canfield said. I have my q120 hooked up between the supply valve and regulator on high pressure side just open q120 valve up slowly or q120 regulator will shut down. it happened to me several times before i figured it out. now it works great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom