Travelling to Newfoundland with 28 foot trailer and small dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTMorgan

We have been hearing horror stories about the ferry trip for our little pet.  Does anyone have any information about this.  The website for the ferries is very short on detail about taking your pet on board. 

Check the library for several trip logs.  I know Marsha and Tim took their standard Poodle over and back without incident.  Marsha usually closely follows the forum, so she will likely post herself.

Ed

And....here I am.... :D

We took 2 cats and our standard poodle, Charlie to Newfoundland in 2009.  We elected to take the shorter ferry ride from Sydney, Nova Scotia to Port Aux Basques NFL.  It was supposed to be a 6 hour ride and it was close to that going over to NFL.  We elected to return via the same route instead of going back to Nova Scotia via St. Johns, as that trip was supposed to be 10-12 hours long.  As it turned out, the return trip from Port Aux Basques was close to 8 hours and was harder on the animals.  It was hot and the 18 wheelers had their generators on so lots of diesel smell was present.  If we were doing it again, we would have left our generator on with the A/C s running just to keep the air circulating.  But that might have worried me more.

In 2009 you could not go down and visit the animals while they are in the RVs.  That may have changed.  However you could put them in a cage/crate for the trip, but they would be in a separate area and you still could not visit them.  We thought our animals would be better off in our coach where they were familiar. 

If I did it again, I'd take the earliest ferry on the trip over and on the return so that it might be cooler.

We LOVED Newfoundland, the people are so great.  Be sure and visit everything you can.  There are several write-ups in either the library or in the "Journals/Trips" section of the forum.  Several of us did a pretty detailed write of things to do and stuff to see while there; along with places to camp.

Have a great time, it's a fabulous location.

Also, take time to visit Peggy's Cove, Halifax and do the Cabot trail drive while in Nova Scotia.  The Canadian Maritimes are beautiful.

Marsha~

Marsha

I am so glad you posted this information.  We are planning on taking the shorter ferry both ways because of our kitties, but I never thought about taking the early one versus a later one.  We are now going to be sure to do that when we head over on July 19.

Thanks
Sheila

Ken and Sheila, we will be at our summer place at Parlee Beach for July, and home in Dartmouth until we head south late fall.  If you get near, drop me a PM/email and maybe we can get together to say hello.  We are almost certain that we won't be heading to Moab next year.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom