Refrigerator not cooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trooper253

I have a Dometic fridge in my 2008 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel that is not acting right.  We set up in Myrtle Beach today and the temp on the display has been crawling up.  We left our home in Western NC last night and drove down part of the way.  When we left the temp was showing 37 now it is at 46.  The fins in the back of the fridge and the freezer itself have started to frost over.  I replaced the batteries in my circulation fan and put the fridge on a lower setting.  I have also checked and the cooling unit is warm to the touch so I guess it is ok.  Also there are no signs of ammonia leaking.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here are a few things that come to mind:

Is the condenser clean, no big dust bunnies living in there?
Is the light going off? if the switch is stuck and the light stays on, it can throw some heat.
Door sealing tight?
Do you have food in the fridge? If nothing is in there to hold the cold, the air temp will go up/down when you open the door.
How is the freezer temp?

I'm sure you will get some more suggestions.

Frost on the fins suggests an air leak - warm moist air is getting in, probably around the door. Frost forms normally when warm, moist air comes in each time you open the door, but an air leak is continuous and frost builds up quickly.

Pondguy's notion about the door light is another good one - it will really warm things up inside.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom