rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Which Verizon cell phone  (Read 14198 times)

Smoky

• ---
Which Verizon cell phone
« on: April 06, 2005, 06:35:23 AM »
I need suggestions on which Verizon phone to upgrade to in order to access the national enhanced service and use the Internet.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles like cameras etc, though they might be nice if the price is right.

I just cannot understand all the fancy lingo on the Yahoo net and am looking for some simple help here.
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
Re: Which Verizon cell phone
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 10:53:27 AM »
There are a lot of verizon users here so I'm sure they will be able to help you.  We sill have our 5 or 6 year old ATT Nokia 6162 so can't be much help. 
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 10:56:38 AM »
Ron:

Thanks!  BTW what is the monthly cost of Directway?

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 11:32:36 AM »
I need suggestions on which Verizon phone to upgrade to in order to access the national enhanced service and use the Internet.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles like cameras etc, though they might be nice if the price is right.

I just cannot understand all the fancy lingo on the Yahoo net and am looking for some simple help here.

Smoky,
As I said, I have the LG VX6100 but it is not the only model that works. It has the camera, which I never use, but the price was right. As far as other models, if you  check to see which models they make the Mobile Office Kit for, you can get a list and get the phone you want. I know they also have a kit for the VX4400 but there are several other makes and models too. More info at this website:  http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/mobileoffice/mobileoffice1.jsp

The kit consists of a phone to USB port conection wire and a CD with the software. Follow the directions and you're in.
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 11:42:11 AM »
Ron:

Thanks!  BTW what is the monthly cost of Directway?
$59.95 is the lowest.  Business account is around $100.  I use the 59.95 plan.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 01:36:33 PM »
Besides the LGVX6100, the only ones with the Office Connect sftw. are the Samsung A650 and A670. This info is from Verizon tech support, and was current as of about a week ago. He said he knew of no plans to make it available for other phones. I too have a DirecWay dish, but it's not always practical to set it up - unlike those who have Datastorm units. Then I go to the cell phone (Motorola T-720) with Office Connect, but coverage is spotty or non-existent in some areas. Even though you can usually make a voice call, you need to be on a Verizon tower to access the Internet. Check the less-than-perfect coverage maps to see if you can use it in the area you plan on spending the most time and check other vendors also - like Cingular and others. Other members can telll you their experience with other providers/phones.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 04:28:13 PM »
What speed do you get with the LGVX6100 using Office Connect?

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 07:49:45 PM »
What speed do you get with the LGVX6100 using Office Connect?

I don't think you will get any difference in speed between the different phones using the same system. Speed is system and reception dependant, not handset dependant.

But everything else being equal, you could figure on usually getting about a little faster average speeds than land line dial up. You could find data downloads up to 2-3 times faster than dial up.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 09:14:28 AM by BernieD »
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 11:19:19 PM »
Smokey,

I have the  Motorola V265 on Verizon. Bought the Mobil Office Kit at Radio Shack but they are available on line cheaper.

Have you checked into the "internet by cell phone" group on Yahoo? Go to the files section and download the tutorial for which ever provider you want to use. There is one for Verizon, Sprint and Cingular.

I went with Verizon because our daughter is on Verizon so we get all the free Verizon to Verizon time. Plus free time to talk to any Framily members who are also on Verizon.

Followed the tutorial to the letter and didn't have any problems hooking up.

Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

jerryarlyne

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 12:17:32 AM »
Smokey,

I just switched to Verizon two days ago and have a Samsung A-650 phone and MOK from Verizon, I set it up just like Don said and it works great on my laptop, had a small problem getting it setup on my wifes laptop but it finally works there also. The A-650 cost $39.95 and paid $40.00 for the MOK. No camera but it does all sorts of other good things and seems to work great with good signal in areas I was having a problem with my old AT&T phone.
Jerry Ray

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 06:06:24 AM »
Verizon's list of "National Access" compatible phones and PC Cards is here...  National Access
Not all of these models are currently available direct from Verizon, but most can be purchased elsewhere.

Speeds on NA are a max of 114 kbps but typically are less, around 60-80 kbps unless several other data users are competing for the same cell tower. Since the total data speed is shared among all users, your individual speed can drop dramatically when several nearby users are on simultaneously.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 06:10:13 AM by RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 09:48:08 AM »
Gary:

I think you sent me the wrong link.  Just sent you a private message.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

quasi

• ---
    • The Laser Dude
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 03:35:49 PM »
Smokey,
Me again...
I just upgraded to a National Access plan and asked for the most inexpensive phone that would allow me internet access. They recommended the LG-3200 and a mobile office kit. The phone was $20 with the service and the kit was $40 and included a cable and some software. I've used it a couple of times to try it and it was pretty simple. I don't ask my TV to mow my grass so I wasn't interested in taking pictures or playing games on my phone. I'm pretty happy with it thus far
Growing older is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 08:41:09 PM »
I just switched to Verizon two days ago

Jerry,

Are you on the "IN" plan??  I think most of us on the forum are!  VBG

Jim
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

jerryarlyne

• ---
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 11:59:42 PM »
I just switched to Verizon two days ago

Jerry,

Are you on the "IN" plan??  I think most of us on the forum are!  VBG

Jim

Hi Jim,
Yes I am, or so they told me. I have tried the phone once from home with the mobile office kit and it worked great. Now I have to wait till the laptop comes back from repair before I can try it out again.
BTW, the # is the same.
Jerry
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 12:03:36 AM by jerryarlyne »
Jerry Ray

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 03:52:25 PM »
Jerry and Quasi  -  Am I correct in assuming that your method only uses your plan minutes and has no extra charges for internet time?  I.e. free if outside of prime time, and uses allowance minuted then paid minutes if in prime time?

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 04:07:39 PM »
Smoky,

You might want to check with your relatives in MT to make sure Verison will work there.  Verizon doesn't work at Sam's Camp the last I knew.

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 07:08:38 AM »
Verizon works fine at our full service pad outside my sister in law near Kalispell,.   That is a strong Verizon area.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2005, 09:56:51 AM »
Verizon works fine at our full service pad outside my sister in law near Kalispell,.   That is a strong Verizon area.

That is good. I just brought it up because some of the visiters at Sam's Camp couldn't use Verizon there.

quasi

• ---
    • The Laser Dude
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 10:09:52 AM »
Smoky,
That's correct. I get charged airtime for minutes used just as if it were a normal call. If I call during my "free" times, nights and weekends, it doesn't use airtime minutes from my plan.
Quasi
Growing older is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 10:15:15 AM »
Thanks Quasi

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2005, 11:35:43 PM »

Hi Smoky,

Stay away from the Nokia 3589i phone. I have it and it is a bear to set up properly. Then it might just not work later. I am getting by right now but will definitely change in December when my two year contract is up. Not sure which one I'll get then but it most likely will NOT be a Nokia. Too bad because my AT&T Nokia worked just fine.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2005, 08:02:09 AM »
Jim,

We have a 3589i and the times I've used it for data it worked fine.  Just plug it in and make the call.  There was nothing to set up on the phone.  With the charger stand, I can plug in the data cable and the charger at the same time and not have to worry about the battery life.

This is the phone I used for internet access for a week when at your daughters last fall.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2005, 07:57:12 PM »
Jim and Ned:

I am leaning towards Samsung since that has worked well for me in the past.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005, 07:34:57 AM »
Jim,

We have a 3589i and the times I've used it for data it worked fine.  Just plug it in and make the call.  There was nothing to set up on the phone.  With the charger stand, I can plug in the data cable and the charger at the same time and not have to worry about the battery life.

This is the phone I used for internet access for a week when at your daughters last fall.

Ned,

Gary can tell you the problems we had setting up my 3589i. :) It works most of the time once you get the data cable installed but it isn't as reliable as the old Nokia I had on AT&T. I'll be looking at changing in December when my 2 year contract is up.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 07:36:30 AM »
Jim and Ned:

I am leaning towards Samsung since that has worked well for me in the past.

Smoky,

Our daughter, and I think our son, has the Samsung a650. The phone works great but she doesn't use it for data so I don't know how it performs for that.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2005, 08:23:34 AM »
Jim,

I would be interested in hearing just what problems you had.  Ours has never failed to work when I needed it.  Nokia still has the easiest to use and most intuitive menu and phone book system of all the phones.  And the phones seem almost indestructible.  I've dropped my 6360 several times (just yesterday on concrete) and they keep on tickin'.

Did I say that I really don't like flip phones either ;)
2007 GMC Canyon

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 11:43:13 PM »
Jim,

I would be interested in hearing just what problems you had.  Ours has never failed to work when I needed it.  Nokia still has the easiest to use and most intuitive menu and phone book system of all the phones.  And the phones seem almost indestructible.  I've dropped my 6360 several times (just yesterday on concrete) and they keep on tickin'.

Did I say that I really don't like flip phones either ;)

Ned,

First problem as I said was trying to get the data cable installed. We finally did that after a couple of days fighting the system. Installing the Nokia program on the computer was just asking for problems. Sometimes it would grab the modem and I couldn't make a call until I went in and released it. Just now the modem dropped and I had to redial. Now that might have been because it didn't see any activity for a couple of minutes.

I agree Nokia is great for voice. I got the 3589i because it was so similar to my 6160/62. The menu is straight forard and easy to navigate. The antenna sucks. Mine has broken twice. The plastic top seems to be a poor mold. The last time it broke in a clean line like it had never formed properly. At this point I need to use a knife blade or tweezers to extend the antenna when needed. Other than that I like the ease of use. I only wish they had an easier  way to install the software and the hardware was better made. :)

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2005, 07:29:19 AM »
Jim,

I had similar problems with my Motorola T720. The data cable has 17 teeny-tiny pins which may or may not connect properly, seemingly at their discretion. That plus you have to plug the charger cable into the side of it, and that doesn't always work either. Also had to re-install the software several times, and the installation instructions are less than ideal. Good thing I only need it for backup. Wait a minute - what am I talking about?? There is no Verizon cell tower here, so it doesn't work for data anyway >:(
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2005, 08:46:30 AM »
Jim,

I don't install the Nokia software other than the drivers for the cable and phone.  That's simple with XP, just follow the directions :)  I don't use the Nokia data suite and it isn't needed for data connectivity.  Use the Smith Micro dialer program that's available from various places on the internet (I got mine from the Yahoo group InternetByCellPhone library).

The 3589i uses a new connector that isn't as suceptible to breaking as the old style Nokia.  Also, I have found that extending the antenna rarely does much to improve the signal strength, so it's no loss if you can't pull it out.
2007 GMC Canyon

rovinsteve

• ---
  • Ham: NO7V
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2005, 01:02:52 AM »
I've used a Kyocera 2235 with mobile office kit on Verizon for a few years now and it works great!  It isn't a flip covered phone but is nice and slim.  I just lock the keyboard when it goes in my pocket.

In Boise, ID for another day or two.

--Steve
Steve

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2005, 01:05:14 AM »
Jim,

I had similar problems with my Motorola T720. The data cable has 17 teeny-tiny pins which may or may not connect properly, seemingly at their discretion. That plus you have to plug the charger cable into the side of it, and that doesn't always work either. Also had to re-install the software several times, and the installation instructions are less than ideal. Good thing I only need it for backup. Wait a minute - what am I talking about?? There is no Verizon cell tower here, so it doesn't work for data anyway >:(

Karl,

Giuess there's more than one problem out there. :(

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2005, 01:09:19 AM »
Jim,

I don't install the Nokia software other than the drivers for the cable and phone.  That's simple with XP, just follow the directions :)  I don't use the Nokia data suite and it isn't needed for data connectivity.  Use the Smith Micro dialer program that's available from various places on the internet (I got mine from the Yahoo group InternetByCellPhone library).

The 3589i uses a new connector that isn't as suceptible to breaking as the old style Nokia.  Also, I have found that extending the antenna rarely does much to improve the signal strength, so it's no loss if you can't pull it out.

Ned,

I agree with most of what you say. I would like the Nokia Suite to work since Pat & I have the same phone but it isn't essential. In fact, she has programmed hers in such a way it would totally destroy my programming. :) The antenna also isn't a great help but I would think it should last much longer than a few months. Since our discussion started I have had several problems staying connected to the Internet. Now I can't say it has anything to do with the Nokia but, on redial, I am able to complete the tasks as requested. Bottom line is it's frustrating but that has been my life since getting my first computer. :)

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2005, 08:34:21 AM »
The Nokia Suite works ok for saving and editing the phone book, but it's not involved in the data connection.  Perhaps you could have 2 different installation of the Suite, one for you and one for Pat.

The dropped  connections could be the phone but is more likely a different problem.  It could just be the local tower or something else on the computer.  That class of problem is difficult to diagnose, especially remotely :)
2007 GMC Canyon

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2005, 09:07:56 PM »
The Nokia Suite works ok for saving and editing the phone book, but it's not involved in the data connection.  Perhaps you could have 2 different installation of the Suite, one for you and one for Pat.

The dropped  connections could be the phone but is more likely a different problem.  It could just be the local tower or something else on the computer.  That class of problem is difficult to diagnose, especially remotely :)

Ned,

I only have one Suite loaded. Actually don't even have one at the moment. :) The problem seems to occur after using the Suite to save the phone book or load it to a phone. It doesn't release the port after closing the program.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2005, 10:08:52 PM »
Jim,

I use Oxygen Phone Manger for my Nokia phones.  Not free but works much better than the Nokia Suite.
2007 GMC Canyon

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2005, 11:40:04 PM »
Jim,

I use Oxygen Phone Manger for my Nokia phones.  Not free but works much better than the Nokia Suite.

Ned,

I'll bet anything works better. :)

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

joelmyer

• ---
  • Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA
    • The Retirement Saga
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2005, 03:48:54 PM »
I have just become the last person in the world to have a cell phone.

It's a Verizon VX4500.  I got the Mobile Office Kit with it.

The USB cable had a label that you had to remove before plugging it in.  It said "Install drivers first, please read instructions".

Instructions, we don't need no stinkin' instructions.  I did insert CD 1 & follow instructions, followed by CD2 and here I am a few minutes later on line via my new cell phone.

Got to go play with the Phone Book Manager.

Anybody that wants to PM me your phone number & tell me if it's Verizon - we can talk for free!
Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2005, 05:08:25 PM »
They probably invest consideable time helping folks that do not read instructions.  Placing the tape over the connector probably helped some but not all. ;D

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2005, 05:53:31 PM »

Instructions, we don't need no stinkin' instructions.  I did insert CD 1 & follow instructions, followed by CD2 and here I am a few minutes later on line via my new cell phone.

Joel

Congratulations on joing the communications world ;D ;D  When you go online with your new cell phone are you dialing your ISP or #777 and using Verizon's 1XRTT higher speed service which can be up to 10 times faster than dialup?

IF you are using dialup, go to the Yahoo Group called internetbycellphone and download and read (I know that is difficult but you will be happy that you did ;D ;D) the Verizon tutorial. It will detail the steps you need to take to set up the higher speed service without getting screwed up with Verizon "help".
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

joelmyer

• ---
  • Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA
    • The Retirement Saga
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2005, 10:02:54 PM »

Joel

Congratulations on joing the communications world

Bernie,

I just installed the SW, clicked the ICON, then clicked "connect" and I was in.  Didn't notice any difference between the Cell Phone & DSL.

Actually, I went back & looked, there is a choice between "National Access" and "Quick Net 2(14.4 kbps)".  I choose National Access :).

So, do I really have to go read all that stuff?
Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2005, 10:06:30 AM »
Joel

Don't know, I'm a Sprint guy myself ;D ;D ;D, but the Verizon guys on the forum seem to feel it is critical to follow the process exactly for Verizon. If your results are as fast or faster than dial up then you are OK, if not, yes, (read the fine manual) ;D ;D ;D
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2005, 12:58:35 PM »
Hi Jim:

Stay away from the Nokia 3589i phone.

The other thing I hadn't looked into before getting an updated Nokia with my updated cingular plan was their modification of the standard headset jack. The standard jack has 2 black rings on it, whereas Nodia put a third -- so you must buy their jack for it to work. With my old Nokia 6160, the adapters were about $10 each, and only last a few months. I finally found an adapter for the new phone for about the same price. A real pain.

That's the same kind of crap that Radio shack pulled when the moved to the IBM standard. It was an IBM type PC, but you had to buy all software from them because they fixed their disk drives to only accept RS diskettes. They did the same kinda thing to printer cables. And that's why they went down the tubes as far as selling their own computer systems. >:(
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »
The other thing I hadn't looked into before getting an updated Nokia with my updated cingular plan was their modification of the standard headset jack. The standard jack has 2 black rings on it, whereas Nodia put a third -- so you must buy their jack for it to work. With my old Nokia 6160, the adapters were about $10 each, and only last a few months.

Our Nokia 3589i uses a standard headset jack.  We got an accessory kit with 2 Jabra headsets that really work well.  The old Nokia connectors were terrible.  I went through 3 NOK6 cables because the connectors would fail after only a few uses if you weren't very careful.  I have a terrific Jabra ProBoom headset (free for beta testing) for our 6360 that failed shortly after the test ended due to the connector failing.  Of course, Jabra won't replace it as it was free.
2007 GMC Canyon