Which Verizon cell phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoky said:
I need suggestions on which Verizon phone to upgrade to in order to access the national enhanced service and use the Internet.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles like cameras etc, though they might be nice if the price is right.

I just cannot understand all the fancy lingo on the Yahoo net and am looking for some simple help here.

Hi Smoky,

Stay away from the Nokia 3589i phone. I have it and it is a bear to set up properly. Then it might just not work later. I am getting by right now but will definitely change in December when my two year contract is up. Not sure which one I'll get then but it most likely will NOT be a Nokia. Too bad because my AT&T Nokia worked just fine.

Jim,

We have a 3589i and the times I've used it for data it worked fine.  Just plug it in and make the call.  There was nothing to set up on the phone.  With the charger stand, I can plug in the data cable and the charger at the same time and not have to worry about the battery life.

This is the phone I used for internet access for a week when at your daughters last fall.

Ned said:
Jim,

We have a 3589i and the times I've used it for data it worked fine.  Just plug it in and make the call.  There was nothing to set up on the phone.  With the charger stand, I can plug in the data cable and the charger at the same time and not have to worry about the battery life.

This is the phone I used for internet access for a week when at your daughters last fall.

Ned,

Gary can tell you the problems we had setting up my 3589i. :) It works most of the time once you get the data cable installed but it isn't as reliable as the old Nokia I had on AT&T. I'll be looking at changing in December when my 2 year contract is up.

Smoky said:
Jim and Ned:

I am leaning towards Samsung since that has worked well for me in the past.

Smoky,

Our daughter, and I think our son, has the Samsung a650. The phone works great but she doesn't use it for data so I don't know how it performs for that.

Jim,

I would be interested in hearing just what problems you had.  Ours has never failed to work when I needed it.  Nokia still has the easiest to use and most intuitive menu and phone book system of all the phones.  And the phones seem almost indestructible.  I've dropped my 6360 several times (just yesterday on concrete) and they keep on tickin'.

Did I say that I really don't like flip phones either ;)

Ned said:
Jim,

I would be interested in hearing just what problems you had.  Ours has never failed to work when I needed it.  Nokia still has the easiest to use and most intuitive menu and phone book system of all the phones.  And the phones seem almost indestructible.  I've dropped my 6360 several times (just yesterday on concrete) and they keep on tickin'.

Did I say that I really don't like flip phones either ;)

Ned,

First problem as I said was trying to get the data cable installed. We finally did that after a couple of days fighting the system. Installing the Nokia program on the computer was just asking for problems. Sometimes it would grab the modem and I couldn't make a call until I went in and released it. Just now the modem dropped and I had to redial. Now that might have been because it didn't see any activity for a couple of minutes.

I agree Nokia is great for voice. I got the 3589i because it was so similar to my 6160/62. The menu is straight forard and easy to navigate. The antenna sucks. Mine has broken twice. The plastic top seems to be a poor mold. The last time it broke in a clean line like it had never formed properly. At this point I need to use a knife blade or tweezers to extend the antenna when needed. Other than that I like the ease of use. I only wish they had an easier  way to install the software and the hardware was better made. :)

Jim,

I had similar problems with my Motorola T720. The data cable has 17 teeny-tiny pins which may or may not connect properly, seemingly at their discretion. That plus you have to plug the charger cable into the side of it, and that doesn't always work either. Also had to re-install the software several times, and the installation instructions are less than ideal. Good thing I only need it for backup. Wait a minute - what am I talking about?? There is no Verizon cell tower here, so it doesn't work for data anyway :mad:

Jim,

I don't install the Nokia software other than the drivers for the cable and phone.  That's simple with XP, just follow the directions :)  I don't use the Nokia data suite and it isn't needed for data connectivity.  Use the Smith Micro dialer program that's available from various places on the internet (I got mine from the Yahoo group InternetByCellPhone library).

The 3589i uses a new connector that isn't as suceptible to breaking as the old style Nokia.  Also, I have found that extending the antenna rarely does much to improve the signal strength, so it's no loss if you can't pull it out.

kkolbus said:
Jim,

I had similar problems with my Motorola T720. The data cable has 17 teeny-tiny pins which may or may not connect properly, seemingly at their discretion. That plus you have to plug the charger cable into the side of it, and that doesn't always work either. Also had to re-install the software several times, and the installation instructions are less than ideal. Good thing I only need it for backup. Wait a minute - what am I talking about?? There is no Verizon cell tower here, so it doesn't work for data anyway :mad:

Karl,

Giuess there's more than one problem out there. :(

Ned said:
Jim,

I don't install the Nokia software other than the drivers for the cable and phone.  That's simple with XP, just follow the directions :)  I don't use the Nokia data suite and it isn't needed for data connectivity.  Use the Smith Micro dialer program that's available from various places on the internet (I got mine from the Yahoo group InternetByCellPhone library).

The 3589i uses a new connector that isn't as suceptible to breaking as the old style Nokia.  Also, I have found that extending the antenna rarely does much to improve the signal strength, so it's no loss if you can't pull it out.

Ned,

I agree with most of what you say. I would like the Nokia Suite to work since Pat & I have the same phone but it isn't essential. In fact, she has programmed hers in such a way it would totally destroy my programming. :) The antenna also isn't a great help but I would think it should last much longer than a few months. Since our discussion started I have had several problems staying connected to the Internet. Now I can't say it has anything to do with the Nokia but, on redial, I am able to complete the tasks as requested. Bottom line is it's frustrating but that has been my life since getting my first computer. :)

The Nokia Suite works ok for saving and editing the phone book, but it's not involved in the data connection.  Perhaps you could have 2 different installation of the Suite, one for you and one for Pat.

The dropped  connections could be the phone but is more likely a different problem.  It could just be the local tower or something else on the computer.  That class of problem is difficult to diagnose, especially remotely :)

Ned said:
The Nokia Suite works ok for saving and editing the phone book, but it's not involved in the data connection.  Perhaps you could have 2 different installation of the Suite, one for you and one for Pat.

The dropped  connections could be the phone but is more likely a different problem.  It could just be the local tower or something else on the computer.  That class of problem is difficult to diagnose, especially remotely :)

Ned,

I only have one Suite loaded. Actually don't even have one at the moment. :) The problem seems to occur after using the Suite to save the phone book or load it to a phone. It doesn't release the port after closing the program.

Jim,

I use Oxygen Phone Manger for my Nokia phones.  Not free but works much better than the Nokia Suite.

I have just become the last person in the world to have a cell phone.

It's a Verizon VX4500.  I got the Mobile Office Kit with it.

The USB cable had a label that you had to remove before plugging it in.  It said "Install drivers first, please read instructions".

Instructions, we don't need no stinkin' instructions.  I did insert CD 1 & follow instructions, followed by CD2 and here I am a few minutes later on line via my new cell phone.

Got to go play with the Phone Book Manager.

Anybody that wants to PM me your phone number & tell me if it's Verizon - we can talk for free!

They probably invest consideable time helping folks that do not read instructions.  Placing the tape over the connector probably helped some but not all. ;D

joelmyer said:
Instructions, we don't need no stinkin' instructions.  I did insert CD 1 & follow instructions, followed by CD2 and here I am a few minutes later on line via my new cell phone.

Joel

Congratulations on joing the communications world ;D ;D  When you go online with your new cell phone are you dialing your ISP or #777 and using Verizon's 1XRTT higher speed service which can be up to 10 times faster than dialup?

IF you are using dialup, go to the Yahoo Group called internetbycellphone and download and read (I know that is difficult but you will be happy that you did ;D ;D) the Verizon tutorial. It will detail the steps you need to take to set up the higher speed service without getting screwed up with Verizon "help".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom