Alternate flooring option

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Our boat has carpet throughout (salon and galley, master, guest and crew berths, and bridge). We also have removable carpet in the cockpit.

For some time, Chris has wanted to replace the carpet in the galley with a tile or hardwood. Several years ago we purchased a vinyl tile type product that looked and felt like a ceramic tile. I made the mistake of not installing the product for several years and, when our son visited and I asked him to install it, the product had "shrunk" differently in different directions. I threw it in the garbage.

I'm now wondering what the options might be. Just remember that there are no straight lines and no 'level' floors on a boat. So, I don't know if I need to "float" a substrate on which to place/adhere the new surface. I also don't know how to transition from the salon carpet to the new galley floor.

Oh, I wish that Ernie was in our area; He could do the flooring while Tara and I serenade him and my other half.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't float a vinyl floor. Are you floors F/G or wood? I doubt they are teak & holly or you wouldn't be covering them  ;)

What kind of boat is it? I have a hunch that I know but don't want to offend if I'm wrong.... the whole sailboat/powerboat thing can be very personal. I've delivered both, all over the world. It seemed like I was the Grand Banks delivery king up & down the ditch for a few years. I think I made 6 deliveries of GB's in each direction. Although, I'm a sailboat guy...... go figure.

Thanks Wayne.

Our floors are fiberglass. I was done with teak a long time ago.

What kind of boat is it?

It's a 51' LOA stinkpot cruiser with a fly bridge.

You could mix silica sand in a bucket of epoxy primer and roll it on the cabin sole for grip. That's what I did on the decks of my sailboat when I ripped off the teak and rebuilt my decks.... You should be able to just lay your floating floor on that. Not sure that I would go with laminate. Especially if you have kids running in & out, wet. Sure as anything, a big pitcher of something is bound to get knocked over anyway.

The problem that you might have with hard floors is slipping..... :eek:.

Attachments

• 030a.jpg
    030a.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks, but this is an interior galley. We don't plan to put down epoxy and sand, any more than we'd put that down inside our coach.

Tom said:
Thanks, but this is an interior galley. We don't plan to put down epoxy and sand, any more than we'd put that down inside our coach.
You may not want a floating floor then........ You get a lot more movement in the boat than you do the coach. I can't imagine putting a floating floor on F/G without putting down some sort of non-skid.

Have you ever seen a deck treated with silca sand? You use a real fine sand. You cant even see it but it grips like crazy. It looks nice too.

I can't find any pics of my finished deck but it looked just like the hull, after I painted it (we lost most of our pics to water damage from a hurricane in the Tasman Sea). You could hardly see the difference but we could sure tell the difference under our feet.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom