Post it's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2KViggen

The thread that was started about getting stuck at a resteraunts parking lot and asking people to move their cars reminded me to post what we do.

Owning a gas rv like someone else stated in that thread can be a complete pita at time when getting gas.  Our bounder 38p pulling a wrangler unlimited can be quite a pain in tight gas stations.  So what we do is any time we find a gas station that we can fit into easily or for that matter a place to eat we simply put a post it note on that page in the atlas that's we use.  We put down hp/shell/McDonald's/etc and the mile marker.  Makes it so much easier the next time we are in that road be it the drive home or the next trip.....

Thought I would throw that out :)

That sounds like a great idea...We are getting ready to embark on our first long journey and getting fuel has been one of those worrisome points that I contemplate. I've been using Google Earth to "street view" the potential fuel stops along the way. I've been able to eliminate a few potential fuel stops as well as finding a few using Google Earth.

One could take it one step further and list those convenient fuel stations as a POI in their GPS by address or GPS coordinates.

Maybe a thread could be started that contain those stops that are easier to get into with a large gaser and toad.  I'm heading off to Creekside Mountain Campground in Bat Cave, NC from Ft. Worth, TX to meet up with my sister, and some other family members soon, an 1100 mile drive.  Two tents and my MH, this should be interesting.  It would be nice to know some places along the route I can get in easily.

It seemed that most stations we fueled at were definately set up for cars.  When you pull up to the pumps, there is parking in front of you for people to go into the store.  Makes for a pretty tight exit if cars are parked in front.  All said, we only had to unhook the toad once when we gassed up.

For all you old guys - never pass a bathroom, a hospitable fuel stop, or waste a... well, you get the idea.

Flying J is super accommodating to RV's.  Many truck stops have car and RV lanes or car lanes that an RV towing can get into and out of with a little patience. Sometimes you can get into a spot, that you can eventually get out of, by simply waiting for others to finish up in the desired location.

Say you need the end spot of a gas station because then you can get back out again, just pull off the road and try to wait in line for the others in front of you to finish. Eventually you get your turn and you can get back out again.

Even in my 28 footer which is 31 feet with the cargo carrier, I've sometimes waited 5-10 minutes at a busy end lane even though another one was empty, because I wanted the end lane that was easy to get out of again. Eventually it emptied out and I could get in to do my business and get back out again when I was ready.

Sounds good to me as well.... I drove my 37'7" = cargo tray rig (40 overall) to Kroger today, found a spot where there were two slots, head to head so I could do a "pull through" and when it came time to leave.. STRAIGHT out into a driveway area no turn needed till I was clear the other cars... I like that kind of lot.

Got to my other campground (I have two I frequent this time of year) parked, configured a couple computer devices (Went well) that would not configure at the other other park, and ... Cooling off some as the sun goes down.  Kept triping 30 amp breakers here, even tripped a 20 (The 20 runs one A/C, nothing else, it draws 13.5 amps)  (Sun heat on the box appears to be the problem.. When I propped the lid open the breakers held.)

Class c's are much much easier to deal with at gas stations.  Not just in the shorter length but heigth, being 2 ft or so lower (I round my rv up to 13ft tall, I think it's spec'd at 12ft 8in).  Length wise my rv is around 39 1/2 ft long plus pulling my wrangler unlimited which adds another 20-25ft maybe more... I dunno :)

Often times if I wait until a lane clears up I block the entire lot since depending on the area some stations you cant see the layout until you are driving in their lot.  Due to length and height most gas stations do not work for class a s. Seems like so many times they like to point the lanes directly at the building and put the pumps so close that it seems like my windshield would be in their store to get the back end to the pump..... Thus no room to make a turn.

We use to use the google GPS on our phones but the last phone upgrade we did bumped us off of unlimited data so we just did it old school last week on our trip to Florida.  Having notes in the atlas makes it so much easier however that's only for interstate 75 from Ohio to Florida that I have post its for. 

I'm running almost 60' when pulling the car and don't think I've ever been in a truck stop. When we get off the freeway on the way to the CG I pay close attention to what is around. If needed, you could get fuel when you leave the CG and then hook up the toad after fueling. I haven't had to unhook the car yet and don't have any trouble finding diesel and getting in and out. Like most I just wait in the line I need to be in and everyone seems very understanding and understands what I am doing. Once you do it a few times the anxiety level really goes down. I now get more frustrated with $100 fuel limits on my cc than getting in/out of a station!

Mavarick said:
I'm running almost 60' when pulling the car and don't think I've ever been in a truck stop. When we get off the freeway on the way to the CG I pay close attention to what is around. If needed, you could get fuel when you leave the CG and then hook up the toad after fueling. I haven't had to unhook the car yet and don't have any trouble finding diesel and getting in and out. Like most I just wait in the line I need to be in and everyone seems very understanding and understands what I am doing. Once you do it a few times the anxiety level really goes down. I now get more frustrated with $100 fuel limits on my cc than getting in/out of a station!

That $100 limit drives me crazy!  I give them my card and it still cuts it off at $200.  So, many times I have to go back and have them restart the pump.  At least they'll put it all on the same ticket.

I think that's another advantage of diesels...... Most pumps I have seen that have diesel are setup for large vehicles but not all are that way like the local SAMs club.  Plus I bet you can go quite a bit farther on a fillup allowing you to go from cg to cg..... If I am really pushing it sometimes I have to stop twice in a day to fill up due to only getting 400-450 miles on a tank of gas.  If I am pushing my speed and not just miles driven in a day I can't hit 400 miles on a tank, at least I try not to so I don't run out of gas :)

O yea.... That money limit is extremely annoying, sometimes they stop at $50-75!  Always have the wife go in and just hand them the car and give them a dollar amount, $225 filled us up every time on the last trip

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom