Optimal Cruising Speed for 31 FT 2013 Access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arne

I have been averaging about 8 miles per gallon on my journey from Florida to California in my 2013 Winnebago Access Premier 31 WP, cruising at about 62 MPH  towing a Honda CR/V.  This is less than what I averaged in my 2006 Adventurer. 
What am I doing wrong? 

It's uphill from Florida to CA. Seriously - it is! We always get a bit lower mileage going East --> West than vice versa.

What did the Adventurer get?  I'm not surprised at your mpg, nor would I expect the Access to be much different than the Adventurer. Same V10 and transmission, right? And pushing about the same amount of air out of the way too (frontal area).

Hopefully some other Access owner will comment on their mileage - and not brag too much!

We have the save rv and toad. We are getting around 8 mpg as well. I have  about 3400 miles on the motorhome and the mileage seems to be a little better recently. The Jayco that I used to own (same chassis and motor) got better mileage after about 5000 miles. I normally drive at about 60 to 62 mph on the interstates.

I don't think your doing anything wrong, 

At to the up hill east to west, the prevailing winds are from west to east which means that your are spending more time into a head wind.
Not sure I'd complaine about 8mpg.

We have 2009 31J. Also get approximately 8 mpg. Less against strong headwinds that you can encounter going out west. You're doing good.

Thank you all.  I guess I'll accept 8mpg.  After all, it is only money.  So far we have averaged less than 3.50 per gallon, do it is c shock to see 4++ here in Victorville

Gary RV Roamer said:
It's uphill from Florida to CA. Seriously - it is! We always get a bit lower mileage going East --> West than vice versa.

So that explains it.  My wife and I toured this country on our Harleys and we always noticed greater mileage the further east we went and decreasing mileage the further west we came, coming back home.  I always thought it was different gas formulas being used in different states.  The guys living on the east coast always posted better mpg than any of us out here in the west.

In 1980 Chris owned a Triumph Spitfire ragtop with a 1.2L engine. When we made the trip over Tioga Pass (over 10,000 feet elevation), the Spit was really wheezing and I figured I could walk faster.

Tom said:
In 1980 Chris owned a Triumph Spitfire ragtop with a 1.2L engine. When we made the trip over Tioga Pass (over 10,000 feet elevation), the Spit was really wheezing and I figured I could walk faster.

With a Triumph, sooner or later you'll be walking, regardless of terrain.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom