Works better when turned on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
During pre-cruise checks at the helm a few days ago, the radar reported "no signal from the array". Not a big deal as that was a clear summer day. Also, non-radar functions on that display are duplicated by other instruments, so we headed out.

The more I thought about the issue, the more it pointed to the switch on the rear of the array unit being turned off. But nobody has been on the hard top since that array was installed. At the house, I grabbed the binoculars, but couldn't get close enough. Then I remembered the 20X zoom on my camera and snapped a  couple of pictures.

Sure enough, the switch is turned off. The only reason I can come up with is that a small bird tried to land on the switch  ???

Attachments

• Radar_array_sw.jpg
    Radar_array_sw.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 67
LOL Charlie, you're right. In addition to me not doing heights, I'd have a hard time getting through the hatch on the hard top. I stopped my other half going up there several years ago after she fell. Now I have to figure out how to get to that switch to turn it on; Maybe a long brush from the rear of the bridge  ???

BTW I considered the possibility it might have been turned off by one of the detail crew - see attached picture. But that's a pic of the old array, and I haven't used those guys since installing the new one.

Attachments

• Wash-wax_hard-top.jpg
    Wash-wax_hard-top.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 66
Isn't that what neighborhood kids are for?  I've used them to do everything from digging holes in the yard to plant trees, to putting together a shed.  This is the time of year they want the work.  If I was 15, I'd be glad to climb on the roof and turn a switch on for a $5 bill.

But I don't know about the kids these days, I paid a kid $50 to dig a few holes to set some step stones in the yard.  That was better than the price of a Doctor visit though.

We have relatively few kids in the immediate neighborhood but, coincidentally, a young lady from down the street rang our doorbell a couple of days ago and asked if we had any work for her. The radar wasn't on my mind at the time, but I wouldn't let a young one get on that hard top.

The fall that Chris took really shook me, and that wasn't even from the top. OTOH I'm not against making a trip to Home Depot one morning and paying one of the guys in the parking lot for a few hours. He could wax the top while he was there, and I'd have him anchored with ropes from all four corners.

If I was on your side of the country I'd do it for you myself.  Your idea of a brush is a good one. An extentdable roller handle would work also.

An extentdable roller handle would work also.

I have several extendable/telescoping (18 feet) aluminum poles that I use with special soft pads to wash the isinglass and windows..

use one of your poles with a piece of fishing leader looped on the end and taped in place. It will be much easier on the switch than poking it with a stick.

Now for the fun part. The scanner interrupt switch is usually pretty stiff due to its location. I highly doubt it happened with the help of a little birdy. You may well have more going on there, like a bad switch or failed scanner.

I hope it's just turned off but be prepared.

I threaten to keel haul my deckhands when they are up on the mast scrubbing and forget to turn the switch back on. ( They are required to secure the scanner locally when on the mast )

Steve

You may well have more going on there, like a bad switch or failed scanner.

Steve, if you look at the picture, the switch is definitely in the OFF position.

As for the birdies, they invade us from spring through fall, and I have to employ anti-bird measures to prevent them from perching on the rails, butts inboard, and continually pooping.

Oh, OK the pic isn't clear enough for me to tell.  ;D

Maybe an errant electronic tech is trying to drum up business??

Aye Steve, you have to look closely at the picture to see the switch in the OFF position.

As the subject line says, it works better when turned on  ;)

Having cogitated and procrastinated, today we took our long (20') stepladder down to the dock and, with the help of one of the 18' telescoping aluminum 'window washing' poles, I flipped the switch on. Went up to the bridge and turned on the radar; After the normal warm-up period, the array started transmitting and the display showed what I expected  ;D

Now to figure out how to stop another bird from flipping the switch off  ???

Attachments

• Radar_array_sw-on.jpg
    Radar_array_sw-on.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 20
Glad to hear you got it fixed for now. I can think of several easy ways to keep birds from landing on it but they all involve going up on the hardtop.  Sorry.

Aye, I can think of easy ways to keep it on also, but I won't be going on the hard top any time soon. My other half wanted to climb up there (from the bridge, via the hatch) this morning, but I wouldn't let her, although she's been up there numerous times to wash the hard top in the past. The one time she fell scared the heck out of me, and I haven't let her climb on either the hard top of the boat or the roof of our coach since.

FWIW I have a problem with heights, but I prefer to wash the roof of the coach myself than risk having Chris take another fall.

Attached photo of our prior hard top washer (Chris) shows the old array and our old dock, before I reconfigured/rebuilt it (big $$$).

Attachments

• Roof_wash.jpg
    Roof_wash.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 25
Tom,

Take a cap from a wd-40 can, tape it to the end of your pole, put some silicome sealant on the bottom edge and stick it over the switch. Easy fix!

Good one Steve, thanks. Should I spray WD40 on the array first?  ;D

Back
Top Bottom