2 Questions: 1. Recommendations on TT 2. Feasibility of TT for a senior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the first question I like quality built products and figure some manufacturers have probably made some very good trailers over the past five years.  One like a walk around queen bed.  Please mention some models and brands I should look for.  We looked at a new Lance trailer recently and were impressed, I like the floor plan of their 2385, which is a 2013 model (23' long), don't know what they had in the past that would be similar.  My second question has to do with advisability of a truck/trailer setup.  This is because I am 66 years old and though I don't like the idea of having to hassle with unhooking and leveling a travel trailer the alternative is a 5th wheel that would be self leveling.  The problem with the 5th wheel is I'd then have a second vehicle that doesn't get great mileage, even a 3/4 ton diesel doesn't get better mileage than a 1/2 ton gas truck and I'd think a 1/2 ton truck would be less intimidating for my wife to drive.  Also, a 5th wheel and diesel truck would cost a lot more than a TT with a 1/2 ton gas truck.     

66 isn't old. My parents traveled in a 5th wheel into thei 80s and they'd still be going if Dad hadn't developed a lung condition. And Mom did all the driving and Dad's blind.

Check out the Outdoors Rv models and the Northwoods models if your TV can take the weight. Their frames are built in house and are supposed to be well made. Sunnybrook gets high marks and Winnebago just came out with some TT. We are in the process of buying a Winnebago TT. My husband is 64 and has MS but we still travel a lot! Good luck and happy trails.

66 isn't old

As a young lad, I "pumped the organ" at our church. That meant manually inflating a large bellows to provide air to the the pipes. The organist was 66 years old, and we affectionately called him "clickety click", after the bingo call for 66. When we came out of a prayer or some "quiet" period, Clickety Click would rap on the side of the organ to let me know he was ready to start playing. I'd immediately jump into action, pumping the bellows so he could hit the first note.

I'm clickety click for in another couple of weeks  ;D

Man you guys are ancient.... {kidding, kidding!!}  ;D

IMHO, there are 66 year olds and 66 year olds.  I've seen some people that are sedentary, obese, and are decrepit in their late 40's.  My older brother is 62, and ex Army Ranger, and runs 5-7 miles per week, and still bench presses well over 250 lbs.  Barring any disease or accidents, I can see him doing this another 15-20 years.  I'll be 50 this year....and while I'm not as physically intense as he is, I can outwork most people half my age.  We both have joint pain from time to time, but we'd both be damned if we will let it slow us down.

In all seriousness, though she's only in her mid 40's, wifey has no trouble hooking up our 30' TT solo.  She did the same when we had the fifth wheel.  I see no reason a person in relatively good health can't RV well into their 80's.  Don't let the thought of owning a towable and a large pickup intimidate you.  Both are quite simple to operate.  In fact, modern large pickups drive very nicely and some are luxury car quiet.

Aye it's all relative. We have grandkids from 4 to mid 30's, and we have great grandkids who can outsmart me on a cell phone or tablet  :(

Thanks for the nice posts, I'm feeling younger already.  I am not sedentary, but the exercise class I attend at our local gym is pretty mild (Silver Sneakers) and consists of light cardio, light weight work, and stretching.  My wife doesn't plan on hooking up anything but would like to drive the rig some, except backing it up.  Our budget is 50K or less.  Hope to get even more great responses.

The single best advice I can give you is... LOOK, LOOK, LOOK. Find the unit that Wifey LOVES, TT or 5er really won't matter in the long run if the floor plan is right. The 1 ton and 3/4 ton trucks drive like older half tons if not much better. If you put her in a 5-7 yr old 1 ton with all the options and tell her to drive it, she will never know it's a 1 ton.

So, find what makes her happy. If it turns out to be a 5er you won't be sorry and you will find that they hook and unhook easier than a TT and tow better too.

California Steve said:
Thanks for the nice posts, I'm feeling younger already.  I am not sedentary, but the exercise class I attend at our local gym is pretty mild (Silver Sneakers) and consists of light cardio, light weight work, and stretching.  My wife doesn't plan on hooking up anything but would like to drive the rig some, except backing it up.  Our budget is 50K or less.  Hope to get even more great responses.

You'll do just fine.  I do encourage you to teach her to hook, unhook, and drive the rig.  You never know what's going to happen.  I've come down with the flu while we were camping before....I was OK to drive it, but it was nice to have someone else do the hook up work.  If you slipped and twisted an ankle, you'll need help with all of it.  And like I mentioned....hooking up either is very simple.  A fiver is beyond simple. 

Funny story....we went to Ruidoso NM last weekend.  We decided to take my 80 year old mother.  She enjoyed the trip very much....but when wifey started hooking up the WD bars, safety chains, breakaway, sway control, etc....my mom seemed a little concerned.  I assured her that wifey is as capable as I am of hooking it all up correctly, is very thorough double checking everything, and that nothing was going to come apart in transit.  She still didn't really seem convinced, but bit her tongue.  A little reverse chauvanism....kinda made me chuckle.

Now go find the floorplan you both love, pick out a modern HD truck that's matched to your trailer, and get busy having fun!  :)

I am 67 and my wife is 58 and just this past Nov she became a traaveling Nurse and we bought a 32' TT 1988 Yellowstone to try out living as full time RV ers while she goes to work in her new jobs every 3 months. 

I had both hips replaced in Dec 2011 and  Apr 2012.  I don't get around easily any more.  At the end of her second assignment this spring in Columbia  SC we sold our Yellowstone a  and bought a 2008 34' Sunnybrook Brookside from a couple in their 80's  It has all the features that we wanted and many that you specified.  Take a look at that Brand they are very nice.  We have the 301 RBS 

http://www.sunnybrookrv.com/pdf/previous/2008/2008%20Brookside%20Brochure.pdf

We leave for St Paul Ne for her next assignment on Sunday.  I am her Driver/Secretary/Chief Cook and Bottle Washer. 

We are having a ball.

Tom...

California Steve said:
On the first question I like quality built products and figure some manufacturers have probably made some very good trailers over the past five years.  One like a walk around queen bed.  Please mention some models and brands I should look for.  We looked at a new Lance trailer recently and were impressed, I like the floor plan of their 2385, which is a 2013 model (23' long), don't know what they had in the past that would be similar.  My second question has to do with advisability of a truck/trailer setup.  This is because I am 66 years old and though I don't like the idea of having to hassle with unhooking and leveling a travel trailer the alternative is a 5th wheel that would be self leveling.  The problem with the 5th wheel is I'd then have a second vehicle that doesn't get great mileage, even a 3/4 ton diesel doesn't get better mileage than a 1/2 ton gas truck and I'd think a 1/2 ton truck would be less intimidating for my wife to drive.  Also, a 5th wheel and diesel truck would cost a lot more than a TT with a 1/2 ton gas truck.     

I am going to assume that you are going to use this trailer for vacationing and not for full time use,    A 23-24 foot trailer will do you just fine. Let me give you some hints:

1.  Get a power hitch jack.  It makes hitching and unhitching fast and easy....well faster and easier anyway.

2.  Get a set of plastic blocks to place under your trailer wheels for leveling.  Two sacks of 10 should handle most any problem.  They are also useful for stabilizing jack pads on soft ground.  See HERE

For a truck to pull the trailer, give a strong consideration for the Ford F-150 with the 3.5L V-6 EcoBoost engine.  That bad boy is turbo-charged like the diesels and, therefore, it does not have to pay the penalty of a 3% of rated HP loss per 1000 feet of elevation.  With un-turbocharged gasoline engines, I strongly recommend discounting tow ratings by 20% for operating in the Pacific and Mountain West.  With the turbo, you can forget that discount.  Being a fellow Californian, I strongly recommend turbo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom