Haslam's Pilot Flying J Shaken by FBI Fraud Investigation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
Article excerpts in today's Wall Street Journal.  Haslam's son Jimmy bought the Cleveland Brown football team last year.

"On April 15, agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Internal Revenue Service in bulletproof vests executed search warrants at "Pilot Park" headquarters and seized binders, handwritten notes, emails and computer files. Three days later, a federal judge unsealed a 120-page affidavit, which alleged probable cause to believe there was a scheme by Pilot sales staff to defraud trucking-company customers that buy diesel at its truck stops by shorting rebate money Pilot owed them. A confidential informant told the FBI that Jimmy Haslam knew about the scheme, according to the affidavit.

The scandal has shaken a company that fuels the nation's trucking industry, and it has put the spotlight on a hard-charging family that says it borrows tactics from the football field to excel in the tough business of peddling diesel."......

"Lawyers and Pilot's trucking customers have filed 15 lawsuits against Pilot. Five Pilot sales employees have reached plea agreements with federal prosecutors. Both the company and its board are conducting separate investigations. The company's credit ratings have been put on negative watch for possible downgrade by Moody's Investors Service and Standard & Poor's Corp.

"Our legal counsel has advised us not to be surprised by class-action lawsuits and we've expected them and we'll defend them appropriately," said company spokesman Tom Ingram. Mr. Ingram said the plea agreements were "very disappointing."

Pilot was already under pressure to grow revenue, according to Jimmy Haslam. While it is the biggest retailer of diesel to the nation's trucks, its market has been contracting as truckers rely less on brand loyalty programs and more on logistics software to choose where to stop for fuel. "

Oh, I just noticed the raid was a couple of months ago.  Here's the closing in the article:

"Mr. Haslam won't discuss the particulars of the April FBI raid. All he says, his normally booming voice quaking, is: "I'm glad Dad wasn't there, OK?" Big Jim first heard of it in a phone call from his assistant on a bike ride in Hilton Head, S.C. Bill Haslam got a text alert on his cellphone. "I'm thinking, what in the world?" he said. He thought something violent had occurred.

Now the Haslams face a long summer. In the month after the raid, Pilot sales dipped and its suppliers began to shorten the time they gave Pilot to pay them. The ratings firms are wary of that kind of reaction because it could hurt Pilot's liquidity. Jimmy Haslam says things now have stabilized."

It doesn't look good for him.  I've been following this story, not that I have enough trucks for them to give me much of a discount, but just to see how they take advantage of truckers.  Here's a link with the latest; (maybe you can shorten it up for me, I've tried without success)

http://tinyurl.com/n9ne6kh

Here they are saying that senior management knew about the scheme all along.  Another take I've heard over at Landlinenow is that they were targeting minority owned trucking companies as they were not smart enough to catch on to the scheme.  So it should be an interesting summer of events.

Edit by John: made long URL into a shorter one

It's really pathetic that apparently Pilot's corporate culture has fostered or at least tolerated this kind of environment.  What is now taught in business schools about ethics is to "do what you think is right for you, your family, and/or your company.."  People don't want to take a moral stand, nothing is black and white - there are "gray" areas now.  That's total hogwash.

Back
Top Bottom