Awning advise - I searched but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1joester2

I already know I need to replace the mechanism inside the tube on mine since it won't allow the extending or retracting of the awning itself (thank God it failed in the "up" position!).

At the same time, I'm considering the replacement of the fabric, and a co-worker has a fabric replacement of his own to do but his awning works fine.

The question is:
Why can't a hole be drilled in the plastic cap on the idler side of the tube similar to the one where lights, screening, ect are mounted?
If such a hole was drilled, the awning could be extended but not locked so the fabric could be slid out of the slots on the tube and the rail without completely disassembling the whole thing. The new fabric could be re-inserted the same way.

There has to be a reason that cap does not have a hole to allow this, and fabric retention seems unlikely since the fabric comes nowhere near the cap.

...so why can't the fabric replacement be done that way?

Thanks.
Joe

After two day with no responses, is it safe to assume that anyone who replaced their awning fabric is wondering why they didn't think of that?

Oh, I must not have seen the question before.

Why can't a hole be drilled?  It can but if you look at the end caps you will see that the sun shade or light holders can only be inserted from one (usually the rear, meaning as you go down the road rear) end of the awning... And the holes you wish to drill, are already there.. At lest on my A&w Weather pro they are.

When I did mine I removed the tube as I was doing it alone and it was easier, I was also shortening the awning 4' (The tube had to be cut) so removal was mandatory. Not sure I could do it without removal.

DO remember to "lock" the tube... (There is a hole and a pin you put in the hole) so it does not go TWANG on you possibly causing injury.

The intended hole would be 180 degrees from the one that already exists in the cap. In the picture below, the crude cut and paste job shows the intended location to facilitate removal of the fabric without dis-assembly of the tube.

Yours has two holes like pictured?

We're discussing the alternatives to plug the hole afterwards.

Attachments

• end cap.jpeg
    end cap.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 24
I've seen that and have done it myself, just drilled out the cap where it covers the end of the fabric slot.  Put a sheet metal screw in afterwards, to act as a retainer.

I don't think there is any significant reason against it. The manufacturer doesn't do it probably because he has no interest in your future replacement difficulties and a simpler part with a simpler manufacturing procedure is in his interests.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom