Furnace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvbouncer

Hi all,

I am new to this site and have some general questions, any help would be great. First off I read the post regarding pilot lights and electronic ignition for the water heater and fridge. I have a 1994 Gulfstream and I have a questions regarding the heater. It has a thermostat on the inside of the coach to turn it on but do I need to light something prior to trying it out of does it light automatically? Do the water heater and furnace run off the same light? I ask that because I can't seem to find the furnace on the coach. Help!

RVBouncer

:) Hi rvbouncer. Here is a list I wrote out for someone who had bought my OLD RV. There is no need to light anything. :-

LPG must be turned on before the following:-

Refrigerator
The refrigerator will run on LPG or AC from the Generator or a suitable shore power. When the LPG has been turned off for any length of time. It may take several operations for the refrigerator to start operating correctly due to having to vent air out of the system.

Hot Water Supply
The hot water is provided by a 6 gallon tank which is heated by LPG. It takes around 1 hour to reach the maximum operating temperature. When the LPG has been turned off for any length of time. It may take several operations for the Heater to start operating correctly due to having to vent air out of the system.

Blown Air Central Heating
The blown air heating system is controlled by the main switch which includes a thermostat. Once it is operating correctly. The system will continue to keep the temperature that has been set by the thermostat. When the LPG has been turned off for any length of time. It may take several operations for the Heating to start operating correctly due to having to vent air out of the system.

When the Motorhome is stored for any length of time. It is recommended to turn off the LPG and disconnect the Leisure battery.

Boy there is so much to learn but I thank you for your quick response. I am sure I will be back often. So when you say it may take a while for them to work correctly, will each make noise when they are working right away? And how can I tell they are lit? Maybe dumb questions but for some reason I am unusually nervous about this whole thing. Thanks again

RVB

The refrigerator and hot water heater should have check lights that will light up if they fail to ignite.  The fridge should automatically retry until it lights, or you may have to turn it off and back on again.  The water heater usually has to be powered off and on to get it to relight as well.  If it's been awhile, it may take several attempts to clear the lines of air and get a good light.  The latter assumes you have a DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) water heater.  If it's a manual pilot light, then follow the printed instruction to light it.  They should be visible on the outside cover where the pilot light is located.

The furnace will start the blower, then if it lights, the burner will ignite with a very noticeable sound perhaps a minute or less later.  If the burner doesn't light, the blower will shut off.  The furnace and water heater are completely separate appliances and don't share any parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom